A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Kingsland, TX
Germination of Sophora seeds, and Dodder identification in Kingsland, TX.
Our Mt. Laurel has just produced seeds. Can those be scarified and planted now or do they have to dry out. Also what is the stringy orange substance that gets on bluebonnets and other wildflowers ...

Kingsland, TX
Holding an Acer rubrum in a container for two years
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, I am thinking about ordering a Red Maple tree that is cultivated from Mount Vernon. I appreciate the historic nature of such a tree. The tree will be shipped to me and is ...

Kingsland, TX
Groundcovers for Kingsland TX
I am looking for a list of native ground covers and grasses(not lawn grass).

Kingsland, TX
Highway construction in wildflower areas from Kingsland TX
I see no other link to contact about this, except for you. Maybe you can direct me. I just drove Hwy 281 South and a lot of road construction is being done. For many years that I've noticed, there ...

Kingsland, TX
Promoting bloom of crossvine
I planted a crossvine a couple of years ago and it has grown quite well, climbing well up the Mesquite tree it was planted under. However, it has never bloomed. I was really looking forward to those...

Kingsland, TX
Plant Identification
What is the common purple flower found in fields that has a yellow flattened oval berry like pod after blooming? Leaves are grayish green. I am thinking in the nightshade family? It is a bane to a pas...

Sunrise Beach, TX
My Cedar Elms drop leaves all year long. Is that a problem?
Lake LBJ Area. My Cedar Elms,(I have about 8) drop leaves all year long and then drop all in late fall/early winter. Does the year round drop indicate a problem? It is definitely a nuisance. Thanks

Sunrise Beach, TX
Problems with mountain laurel from Sunrise Beach TX
In Llano Co., TX near lake LBJ, crushed granite type soil - my 4 - 5 year old TX Mtn. Laurels (2), about the size of large wheel barrows, are turning very pale, dropping leaves and on 1 the seed pods ...

Sunrise Beach, TX
Blackening of top growth of yaupon in Sunrise Beach TX
My question regards a Will Flemming yaupon which I am thinking may be within your scope of expertise. These were recently planted under windy conditions, then hit with a neighbors antiquated jet type ...

Granite Shoals, TX
Identification of Texas bluebell (Eustoma exaltatum)
Very recently on the 6 o'clock news there was a report about The Center joining UT. There was a picture of a large, purple lily-like/trumpet flower with a yellow pistil. I recall my Grandmother call...

Horseshoe Bay, TX
Plant ID from Horseshoe Bend, TX
I am trying to identify two plants - one - a flower springing up in a mint patch/Users/leehsb/Desktop/DSC_0407.JPG/Users/leehsb/Desktop/DSC_0408.JPG and the next a small bunched plant in our garden (n...

Horseshoe Bay, TX
Planting Texas Mountain Laurel seeds in Horse Shoe Bay,TX
I have harvested Texas Mountain Laurel pods and extracted the seeds from the pods. The seeds are characteristic red/orange/maroon. When is the best time and best method to introduce seeds into pots? ...

Horseshoe Bay, TX
Yellow-flowered Ipomopsis rubra - Standing Cypress
We have several acres of we call native plant areas, maybe unmaintained areas or natural is a better description of these areas. As we were developing these areas we sown in several different wildflo...

Horseshoe Bay, TX
Why is butterfly weeds blooming in October?
I live in Horseshoe Bay Texas and have native landscape environment. Last year, in early September, I had a plethora of butterfly weed in bloom and a large variety and quantity of butterflies. This ye...

Horseshoe Bay, TX
Dying branches on non-native buddleias in Horseshoe Bend TX
Our Black Knight buddleias are developing branches that die. The leaves just turn brown and the whole branch dies then another and finally the whole plant dies. Do you know what could be causing this...

Horseshoe Bay, TX
Suggestions for deer-resistant plans
I live in Horseshoe Bay and there are deer everywhere. They seem to eat everything I plant. Is there anything they don't like?

Horseshoe Bay, TX
Native aparejograss and Water-cress at a spring in Horeshoe Bay TX
AT a small spring that seeps from a rocky hill on my ranch near Austin, a stringy grass called aparejograss has replaced the watercress that used to be there. Should I be worried? Does the appearance...

Meadowlakes, TX
Identification of Daucus pusillus, native alternative to Daucus carota
What happened to "Queen Anne's Lace"? Growing up in Texas, I recall seeing "Queen Anne's Lace" growing wild. In my mind, the blooms were rather large. The plants I see growing profusely along th...

Marble Falls , TX
Caterpillars attacking mountain laurel in Marble Falls TX
What are the caterpillars that eat up our mountain laurel? Nothing left but a few stems.

Marble Falls, TX
Bird-attracting trees in Marble Falls TX
What fruiting trees/shrubs other than red mulberry are good to attract native birds (and for bird watching opportunities)? We'd prefer native species, but does white mulberry attract as many bird sp...

Marble Falls, TX
Flowers for Central Texas wedding in May
Hi there! I am getting married in Marble Falls, TX in May. My soon to be husband and I are very eco-conscious, and were wondering what type of flowers are local and in season for a Central Texas weddi...