A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Round Mountain, TX
Is the Ashe juniper native from Round Mountain TX
Some friends and I disagree on something, and I hope you will settle the argument. Are the cedars found in the Texas hill country (ashe juniper) native or not?

Round Mountain, TX
Transplanting Eve's Necklace from Round Mountain TX
We have dozens of small Eve's necklace plants coming up in our large yard. I would like to share them with my friends who aren't so lucky. Many years ago, I tried to transplant one, and it didn't...

Round Mountain, TX
Clover Among the Bluebonnets in Round Mountain, Texas
I have a beautiful yard of bluebonnets, but mixed in with them are a tall clover that is hiding the flower's beauty and a shorter plant with clover-like leaves that produces burrs. Pulling is not an...

Round Mountain, TX
History of plant Poliomintha longiflora
My question is about the known history of a plant Poliomintha longiflora. In the 1930's (according to my grandmother) in any Mexican market in Texas you could buy this dried plant then known as Wild ...

Horseshoe Bay, TX
Dying branches on non-native buddleias in Horseshoe Bend TX
Our Black Knight buddleias are developing branches that die. The leaves just turn brown and the whole branch dies then another and finally the whole plant dies. Do you know what could be causing this...

Horseshoe Bay, TX
Plant ID from Horseshoe Bend, TX
I am trying to identify two plants - one - a flower springing up in a mint patch/Users/leehsb/Desktop/DSC_0407.JPG/Users/leehsb/Desktop/DSC_0408.JPG and the next a small bunched plant in our garden (n...

Horseshoe Bay, TX
Native aparejograss and Water-cress at a spring in Horeshoe Bay TX
AT a small spring that seeps from a rocky hill on my ranch near Austin, a stringy grass called aparejograss has replaced the watercress that used to be there. Should I be worried? Does the appearance...

Horseshoe Bay, TX
Suggestions for deer-resistant plans
I live in Horseshoe Bay and there are deer everywhere. They seem to eat everything I plant. Is there anything they don't like?

Horseshoe Bay, TX
Yellow-flowered Ipomopsis rubra - Standing Cypress
We have several acres of we call native plant areas, maybe unmaintained areas or natural is a better description of these areas. As we were developing these areas we sown in several different wildflo...

Horseshoe Bay, TX
Why is butterfly weeds blooming in October?
I live in Horseshoe Bay Texas and have native landscape environment. Last year, in early September, I had a plethora of butterfly weed in bloom and a large variety and quantity of butterflies. This ye...

Horseshoe Bay, TX
Planting Texas Mountain Laurel seeds in Horse Shoe Bay,TX
I have harvested Texas Mountain Laurel pods and extracted the seeds from the pods. The seeds are characteristic red/orange/maroon. When is the best time and best method to introduce seeds into pots? ...

Granite Shoals, TX
Identification of Texas bluebell (Eustoma exaltatum)
Very recently on the 6 o'clock news there was a report about The Center joining UT. There was a picture of a large, purple lily-like/trumpet flower with a yellow pistil. I recall my Grandmother call...

Marble Falls, TX
Native plants for poolside in Central Texas
What native plants would your recommend for poolside landscaping, and poolside containers? Tons of sun and white limestone patio.. Thanks.

Marble Falls, TX
Vegetables to plant now from Marble Falls TX
What are the best vegetables to plant now?

Marble Falls, TX
Propagation of Possumhaw Holly from berries in Marble Falls, TX
Any suggestions for getting a Possumhaw Holly to grow from the red berries?

Marble Falls, TX
Bird-attracting trees in Marble Falls TX
What fruiting trees/shrubs other than red mulberry are good to attract native birds (and for bird watching opportunities)? We'd prefer native species, but does white mulberry attract as many bird sp...

Marble Falls, TX
Waht are the truly native Texas trees
What two trees are truly native to Texas? I was told pecan and can't remember the other.

Marble Falls, TX
Native Shade Tree for Central Texas
My parents are buried in Round Mountain Cemetery close to Marble Falls, TX. Can you recommend a tree or shrub we can plant to shade their graves? We need something that can survive and grow in the h...

Marble Falls, TX
What is Andropogon saccharoides?
I am reading Roy Bedichek "Adventure with a Texas Naturalist" I came across a reference to sage grass (Andropogan saccharoides)p. 23. I searched the data base and didn't any infromation abou...

Marble Falls, TX
Planting trees to use carbon dioxide
How many trees must we plant to use carbon dioxide produced by the average American in a year?

Marble Falls, TX
Screen plants to replace non-native Chinese raintrees in Marble Falls, TX
Five four year old Koelreuteria bipinnata (Chinese Rain) trees were mistakenly cut to the ground. They were planted fairly close together, perhaps ten feet apart. The purpose for them was to provide a...