Round Mountain, TX
Clover Among the Bluebonnets in Round Mountain, Texas
I have a beautiful yard of bluebonnets, but mixed in with them are a tall clover that is hiding the flower's beauty and a shorter plant with clover-like leaves that produces burrs. Pulling is not an...

Round Mountain, TX
History of plant Poliomintha longiflora
My question is about the known history of a plant Poliomintha longiflora. In the 1930's (according to my grandmother) in any Mexican market in Texas you could buy this dried plant then known as Wild ...

Round Mountain, TX
Transplanting Eve's Necklace from Round Mountain TX
We have dozens of small Eve's necklace plants coming up in our large yard. I would like to share them with my friends who aren't so lucky. Many years ago, I tried to transplant one, and it didn't...

Round Mountain, TX
Is the Ashe juniper native from Round Mountain TX
Some friends and I disagree on something, and I hope you will settle the argument. Are the cedars found in the Texas hill country (ashe juniper) native or not?

Horseshoe Bay, TX
Plant ID from Horseshoe Bend, TX
I am trying to identify two plants - one - a flower springing up in a mint patch/Users/leehsb/Desktop/DSC_0407.JPG/Users/leehsb/Desktop/DSC_0408.JPG and the next a small bunched plant in our garden (n...

Horseshoe Bay, TX
Planting Texas Mountain Laurel seeds in Horse Shoe Bay,TX
I have harvested Texas Mountain Laurel pods and extracted the seeds from the pods. The seeds are characteristic red/orange/maroon. When is the best time and best method to introduce seeds into pots? ...

Horseshoe Bay, TX
Native aparejograss and Water-cress at a spring in Horeshoe Bay TX
AT a small spring that seeps from a rocky hill on my ranch near Austin, a stringy grass called aparejograss has replaced the watercress that used to be there. Should I be worried? Does the appearance...

Horseshoe Bay, TX
Why is butterfly weeds blooming in October?
I live in Horseshoe Bay Texas and have native landscape environment. Last year, in early September, I had a plethora of butterfly weed in bloom and a large variety and quantity of butterflies. This ye...

Horseshoe Bay, TX
Yellow-flowered Ipomopsis rubra - Standing Cypress
We have several acres of we call native plant areas, maybe unmaintained areas or natural is a better description of these areas. As we were developing these areas we sown in several different wildflo...

Horseshoe Bay, TX
Suggestions for deer-resistant plans
I live in Horseshoe Bay and there are deer everywhere. They seem to eat everything I plant. Is there anything they don't like?

Horseshoe Bay, TX
Dying branches on non-native buddleias in Horseshoe Bend TX
Our Black Knight buddleias are developing branches that die. The leaves just turn brown and the whole branch dies then another and finally the whole plant dies. Do you know what could be causing this...

Granite Shoals, TX
Identification of Texas bluebell (Eustoma exaltatum)
Very recently on the 6 o'clock news there was a report about The Center joining UT. There was a picture of a large, purple lily-like/trumpet flower with a yellow pistil. I recall my Grandmother call...

Marble Falls, TX
Pruning of frost-damaged non-native Sago Palms in Marble Falls TX
I have several large Sago Palms that have partial frost damage, they are part green and part brown fronds. Should I remove the brown leaves? the center of the leaf is green.

Marble Falls, TX
How to Propagate Mexican Bush Sage in Marble Falls, Texas
I need advice on when, how to separate Mexican bush sage. Ours is happy and HUGE but is now sprouting from the roots at the base. Since we've been so successful with this plant, we want to divide it...

Marble Falls, TX
Should shredded Ashe juniper be composted for mulch?
Our neighbor shredded some Texas Hill Country cedar trees. Can we use it safely as mulch? Do we need to wait until it composts some?

Marble Falls, TX
Bird-attracting trees in Marble Falls TX
What fruiting trees/shrubs other than red mulberry are good to attract native birds (and for bird watching opportunities)? We'd prefer native species, but does white mulberry attract as many bird sp...

Marble Falls, TX
Propagation of non-native Jerusalem Sage from Marble Falls, TX
What is the best way to propagate Jerusalem Sage? I've located a plant and I want to get some going.

Marble Falls, TX
Waht are the truly native Texas trees
What two trees are truly native to Texas? I was told pecan and can't remember the other.

Marble Falls, TX
Vegetables to plant now from Marble Falls TX
What are the best vegetables to plant now?

Marble Falls, TX
Problem with Prosopis glandulosa (Honey mesquite)
One of our mature Honey Mesquite trees is losing thumb sized branches high up in the canopy because something is stripping the bark. The branches are completely white for 8-12 inches. Of course the ...

Marble Falls, TX
Seasonal tasks for Big Red Sage and Tall Aster in Marble Falls TX
I transplanted some Big Red Sage and Tall Aster into my raised bed garden in early summer this year. They've sent up lots of rosettes. Do I need to protect them from freezing in winter? Do I need to ...