A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Burnet, TX
Information on what Texas wildflowers are disappearing
I was shocked to find that Texas Bluebells were vanishing. What other Texas wildflowers are vanishing? There is an endangered species list but I want to help before my wildflower neighbors before t...

Burnet, TX
Controlling Triadica sebifera (Chinese tallow tree)
We are trying to remove Chinese tallow trees from the lake bed on Lake Buchanan. We cut them down, but they grow back from the roots. They are very hard to dig out. Do you have any suggestions for how...

Burnet, TX
Butterflies attracted by Pink Evening Primrose from Burnet TX
I see information on Pink Evening Primrose that says it attracts 'many butterflies' Please tell me which butterflies and name them? I've looked everywhere and am just exhausted and frustrated with...

Burnet, TX
Gathering Purple Coneflower seeds in Burnet TX
I have grown some Purple Coneflower and now am trying to save the seeds to plant next spring. I have a bucket full of dried tops and I know there is a lot of seeds. Is there an easy way to separate ...

Burnet, TX
Pruning the leaves of Sago Palm.
Is it a cardinal sin to remove all the sago palm branches? This winter they were so badly scorched by the cold that hardly a frond went unaffected. So I cut them all off as I needed to get around the...

Burnet, TX
Propagating milkweeds for a monarch butterfly habitat
I am planting a monarch habitat in Burnet, Tx with Antelope horns, Green milkweed, and butterfly weed. Should I plant in fall or spring??? Should I use cold moist stratification for 3 months at 40...

Burnet, TX
care of Red Oak seedling; Quercus buckleyi
We purchased one of the Red Oaks seedlings for sale to members from the LBJ Ranch ($45). Now that we have it at home we are wondering about the care and feeding. We failed to ask any questions or pi...

Burnet, TX
wildflowers for bees and hummers in central Texas
I'm building a native habitat for different hummingbirds and bees at the Inks Lake Fish Hatchery, and I was wondering what kind of native plants in Texas attract these creatures but are also low main...

Burnet, TX
Questions about milkweed seeds
Dear folks, I am trying to locate Nan Hampton from Los Fresnos, Texas who asked about Asclepias texana seeds and other Asclepias seeds on Dec. 10, 2008. I would like to know if she found any and has...

Burnet, TX
Low water use tree to shade pond in Burnet TX
I'm in need of some shade at a 1/2 acre pond, but I don't want a tree to consume so much water that it will lower the water level. During droughts the little pond needs all the water it can get. Som...

Burnet, TX
Native grass for sandy soil and shade
We have a sandy soil and lots of shade. Is there a native grass that would do well under these conditions?

Burnet, TX
Wildflowers for deer resistance, low sun, granite gravel soil
We live on Lake Buchanan in the Texas Hill country. What would you suggest for a flowerbed next to the house: north exposure, deer resistant, blooming, shaded by a live oak, granite gravel soil. Tha...

Burnet, TX
Eradicating sumac in Burnet, TX
I have several varieties of sumac on my property. I need to know how to get rid of it. When I cut it down it seems to come back in force.

Bertram, TX
Help with Habiturf from Bertram TX
I am a resident of Bertram..about 45 min northwest of Austin. I have 1.33 acres of land with my home on it. My front pasture is pretty nice native grass but my backyard is full of weeds. I'm guessing...

Bertram, TX
Sap dripping from redbud in Bertram, TX
Our multi-trunked Texas redbud has sap dripping down 3 of the trunks. It seems to originate from a very small crack in each trunk. The tree is just starting to show pink this week, and is about to blo...

Bertram, TX
Leaf loss on Cenizo in Bertram TX
I need help with a purple sage (Leucophyllum frutescens) problem. Most of one of my plants started having paler, more greyish leaves, then the leaves began to fall off. It seemed to still look healthy...

Bertram, TX
Non-blooming orange bell plant
My orange bell plant is not blooming. I live in Central Texas where it is hot. The plant has part sun, part shade. Is there any way to help it bloom?

Bertram, TX
Landscaping in Bertram TX
I have a landscaping job in Bertram, Texas and am looking for all my options as far as full and partial shade somewhat hardy plants. I'm mainly looking for small plants and pretty flowers I can do wi...

Bertram, TX
Identity of vine with green flowers
What is this trailing plant with half inch green flowers with gold metallic centers? Looks like a milkweed plant or gourd plant of some kind. I found it off Hamilton Pool road. West of Austin TX

Bertram, TX
Failure of Bald Cypress to fully leaf out
My family just moved to a house in Burnet County, about 7 miles south of Bertram, close to the Balcones Canyonlands NWR, with very rocky limestone soil. We bought several trees last fall, including a ...

Marble Falls , TX
Caterpillars attacking mountain laurel in Marble Falls TX
What are the caterpillars that eat up our mountain laurel? Nothing left but a few stems.