A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Seguin, TX
Jimsonweed and its toxic nature
I purchased a Jimson weed plant at a local plant sale at the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center this spring and was quite surprised at how quickly & large it grew. After the first round of flowers fa...

Seguin, TX
Elimination of dirt dauber insects
Hello - I live in the southeast part of Guadalupe Co. in the post oak savanna area. Do you have any suggestions on how to control dirt dauber dirt/mud nests. I know these critters are beneficial, bu...

Seguin, TX
Need advice for planting Bur Oak saplings in Comal County
We will be planting several bur oak saplings this fall in deeper soils in Comal County. How close should we plant them? What mortality should we expect? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Seguin, TX
Few seeds from turkscap in Seguin, TX
I have several Turk's cap plants but most do not produce seed. Any ideas? They have been in place 5 plus years.

Seguin, TX
Transplanting Seedling Texas Mountain Laurels
I have two mountain laurels that I grew from seed. They are in pots, but the roots have grown through the bottom and into my flower bed. The trees are about 6 feet tall. They have already bloomed. So ...

Seguin, TX
Cow-itch vine name from Seguin TX
How did Cow-Itch Vine (Cissus incisa / Cissus trifoliata) get its name?

Seguin, TX
Does the Wildflower Center plant sale include plants or only seeds?
Does the list of plants for your Fall Plant Sale imply that they are availble to be transplanted or only as seed? Thanks

Seguin, TX
Cutting back plants after frost from Seguin TX
When is best time to cut back native plants after frost kill? Thanks

Seguin, TX
Resource for identifying winter rosettes or seedlings
Do you know of a good resource for identifying winter rosettes before bloom? I am interested primarily in hill country and blackland prairie.

Seguin, TX
Growing non-native aloe in Seguin TX
I would love to grow aloe plants; both because I like the look of them and for their medicinal properties. Here in Texas people grow them both indoors and out. For some reason, I have not had any l...

Seguin, TX
Need Native Cover Crop in Seguin, TX
Is there a native winter cover crop that would control erosion until spring vegetation takes over?

Seguin, TX
Book for identifying Texas plants by dichotomous key from Seguin TX
What is the best book(s) for identifying Texas plants using a dichotomous key?

Kingsbury, TX
Genetically altered bluebonnets?
I am trying to locate where I can purchase what I consider real bluebonnets not the genetic altered ones. The ones I am talking about are completely blue without the white tip on top. Do you have an...

Marion, TX
Butterfly/hummingbird garden in Texas
I am coordinating a butterfly/hummingbird garden on 100 acres that our religious organization has. We want to use native Texas plants as much as possible. Are these two types of gardens compatible an...

Marion, TX
Plants poisonous to dogs from Marion TX
Is the desert willow poisonous to dogs?

New Braunfels, TX
Butterfly and medicinal plants for New Braunfels
I am in zip code 78132 and we just put in a garden at our front steps- so my choices for plants need to fill a need for beauty and function. I want to include plants that will host and feed butterfli...

New Braunfels, TX
Wildflowers after controlled burn in New Braunfels, TX
I live in the Hill Country a few miles north of New Braunfels. As soon as we get enough rain to lift our burn ban, I will be thinning out some of my Ashe juniper and will do some burning in the open ...

New Braunfels, TX
Bark flaking off oaks in New Braunfels, TX
We have several large clusters of oak trees. Some of the trees are losing their bark. The bark is flaking off in fairly large pieces; even on some of the trees that are leafing out. Is this a result o...

New Braunfels, TX
Will my wildflower seeds reseed by themselves?
I have planted wildflowers from seed throughout the several acres of my property in the Hill Country near New Braunfels. Once estalished will they reseed without any help from me? The flowers includ...

New Braunfels, TX
Watering practices for live oaks in drought from New Braunfels TX
We have conflicting info about watering live oaks. An arborist says to water now using soaker hoses or small sprinklers and a landscaper who spoke to our garden club said that after August is too late...

New Braunfels, TX
How can I distinguish Hibiscus laevis from Pavonia braziliensis in New Braunfels, TX?
How can I distinguish Hibiscus laevis (Halberdleaf Hibiscus) from Pavonia braziliensis (Brazillian Rock Rose)? Earlier this year I was given the former by a friend and former NPSOT chap...