A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Seguin, TX
Need Native Cover Crop in Seguin, TX
Is there a native winter cover crop that would control erosion until spring vegetation takes over?

Seguin, TX
Transplanting Seedling Texas Mountain Laurels
I have two mountain laurels that I grew from seed. They are in pots, but the roots have grown through the bottom and into my flower bed. The trees are about 6 feet tall. They have already bloomed. So ...

Seguin, TX
Does the Wildflower Center plant sale include plants or only seeds?
Does the list of plants for your Fall Plant Sale imply that they are availble to be transplanted or only as seed? Thanks

Seguin, TX
Cutting back plants after frost from Seguin TX
When is best time to cut back native plants after frost kill? Thanks

Seguin, TX
Resource for identifying winter rosettes or seedlings
Do you know of a good resource for identifying winter rosettes before bloom? I am interested primarily in hill country and blackland prairie.

Seguin, TX
Few seeds from turkscap in Seguin, TX
I have several Turk's cap plants but most do not produce seed. Any ideas? They have been in place 5 plus years.

Seguin, TX
Growing non-native aloe in Seguin TX
I would love to grow aloe plants; both because I like the look of them and for their medicinal properties. Here in Texas people grow them both indoors and out. For some reason, I have not had any l...

Seguin, TX
Need advice for planting Bur Oak saplings in Comal County
We will be planting several bur oak saplings this fall in deeper soils in Comal County. How close should we plant them? What mortality should we expect? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Seguin, TX
Jimsonweed and its toxic nature
I purchased a Jimson weed plant at a local plant sale at the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center this spring and was quite surprised at how quickly & large it grew. After the first round of flowers fa...

Seguin, TX
Cow-itch vine name from Seguin TX
How did Cow-Itch Vine (Cissus incisa / Cissus trifoliata) get its name?

Seguin, TX
Book for identifying Texas plants by dichotomous key from Seguin TX
What is the best book(s) for identifying Texas plants using a dichotomous key?

Seguin, TX
Elimination of dirt dauber insects
Hello - I live in the southeast part of Guadalupe Co. in the post oak savanna area. Do you have any suggestions on how to control dirt dauber dirt/mud nests. I know these critters are beneficial, bu...

Kingsbury, TX
Genetically altered bluebonnets?
I am trying to locate where I can purchase what I consider real bluebonnets not the genetic altered ones. The ones I am talking about are completely blue without the white tip on top. Do you have an...

Marion, TX
Plants poisonous to dogs from Marion TX
Is the desert willow poisonous to dogs?

Marion, TX
Butterfly/hummingbird garden in Texas
I am coordinating a butterfly/hummingbird garden on 100 acres that our religious organization has. We want to use native Texas plants as much as possible. Are these two types of gardens compatible an...

New Braunfels, TX
Trimming oaks and elms from New Braunfels TX
I would like to trim my live oaks and elm trees at the same time, if possible. I think they are American Elms. When is the best time to do this and avoid oak wilt and Dutch elm disease? Should all c...

New Braunfels, TX
Obtaining a list of Texas native plants
I'm a member of the Lindheimer Chapter of the Native Plant Society of Texas (New Braunfels area) and wanted to get a list of Texas Native Plants for our Chapter to use as our guideline of what is nat...

New Braunfels, TX
Year-round ground cover for sun/shade
Looking for a native ground cover for shade and middle afternoon/evening sun. Would like it to cover all year. I planted aguga and it froze. I have two large beds (I used about 70 4in plants for ea...

New Braunfels, TX
Three native grasses in grass mix research
On a recent visit to the wild flower center I was informed that you had satisfactory results from the grass mix research funded by Walmart. Please let us know which 3 grasses and the percentage of e...

New Braunfels, TX
Bark flaking off oaks in New Braunfels, TX
We have several large clusters of oak trees. Some of the trees are losing their bark. The bark is flaking off in fairly large pieces; even on some of the trees that are leafing out. Is this a result o...

New Braunfels, TX
Fast-growing shade tree for New Braunfels, Texas
I would like to plant a tree in the back of my property which is located in the Hill Country just north of New Braunfels. Could you please suggest something that is fast growing and will grow in full...