A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Seguin, TX
Growing non-native aloe in Seguin TX
I would love to grow aloe plants; both because I like the look of them and for their medicinal properties. Here in Texas people grow them both indoors and out. For some reason, I have not had any l...

Seguin, TX
Transplanting Seedling Texas Mountain Laurels
I have two mountain laurels that I grew from seed. They are in pots, but the roots have grown through the bottom and into my flower bed. The trees are about 6 feet tall. They have already bloomed. So ...

Seguin, TX
Few seeds from turkscap in Seguin, TX
I have several Turk's cap plants but most do not produce seed. Any ideas? They have been in place 5 plus years.

Seguin, TX
Book for identifying Texas plants by dichotomous key from Seguin TX
What is the best book(s) for identifying Texas plants using a dichotomous key?

Seguin, TX
Need advice for planting Bur Oak saplings in Comal County
We will be planting several bur oak saplings this fall in deeper soils in Comal County. How close should we plant them? What mortality should we expect? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Seguin, TX
Need Native Cover Crop in Seguin, TX
Is there a native winter cover crop that would control erosion until spring vegetation takes over?

Seguin, TX
Does the Wildflower Center plant sale include plants or only seeds?
Does the list of plants for your Fall Plant Sale imply that they are availble to be transplanted or only as seed? Thanks

Seguin, TX
Cutting back plants after frost from Seguin TX
When is best time to cut back native plants after frost kill? Thanks

Seguin, TX
Elimination of dirt dauber insects
Hello - I live in the southeast part of Guadalupe Co. in the post oak savanna area. Do you have any suggestions on how to control dirt dauber dirt/mud nests. I know these critters are beneficial, bu...

Seguin, TX
Jimsonweed and its toxic nature
I purchased a Jimson weed plant at a local plant sale at the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center this spring and was quite surprised at how quickly & large it grew. After the first round of flowers fa...

Seguin, TX
Cow-itch vine name from Seguin TX
How did Cow-Itch Vine (Cissus incisa / Cissus trifoliata) get its name?

Seguin, TX
Resource for identifying winter rosettes or seedlings
Do you know of a good resource for identifying winter rosettes before bloom? I am interested primarily in hill country and blackland prairie.

Kingsbury, TX
Genetically altered bluebonnets?
I am trying to locate where I can purchase what I consider real bluebonnets not the genetic altered ones. The ones I am talking about are completely blue without the white tip on top. Do you have an...

Marion, TX
Plants poisonous to dogs from Marion TX
Is the desert willow poisonous to dogs?

Marion, TX
Butterfly/hummingbird garden in Texas
I am coordinating a butterfly/hummingbird garden on 100 acres that our religious organization has. We want to use native Texas plants as much as possible. Are these two types of gardens compatible an...

New Braunfels, TX
Deer resistant plants from New Braunfels TX
I have a 1/2 yard covered by a tree, shady. Bermuda grass previous owner planted has all turned brown this summer. I don't have lots of money to work with but would love to landscape that side of fr...

New Braunfels, TX
Damage to Agave in New Braunfels, TX
In a flower box, I have an Agave on which the leaves have been damaged. It looks as if a deer rubbed his antlers on it. Is there any animal in south central Texas that would try to eat an agave?

New Braunfels, TX
Native shrub for shade in New Braunfels, Texas
Recently moved to New Braunfels and purchased a house whose backyard consists of giant oaks. Unfortunately there is a chain link fence along the back of the property. I would like to plant a native f...

New Braunfels, TX
A Bounty of Edibles for New Braunfels Texas
I was hoping you could suggest a few plants that would serve several purposes. I live in New Braunfels, TX and would like to incorporate as many drought tolerant plants which would support birds, but...

New Braunfels, TX
Wildflowers after controlled burn in New Braunfels, TX
I live in the Hill Country a few miles north of New Braunfels. As soon as we get enough rain to lift our burn ban, I will be thinning out some of my Ashe juniper and will do some burning in the open ...

New Braunfels, TX
Cake decorations with flowers
Can I decorate a cake with bluebonnets, lavender or mountain laurel blooms?