El Reno, OK
Propagation by seed of Capsicum annuum
I have always been told that the only way that a seed from a chili pequin pepper can germinate is that it has to be eaten by a bird and passed through it's digestive system. I have heard that there i...

Yukon, OK
Native groundcovers for bare, shady space in Oklahoma
I have recently acquired a new residence that has very little lawn to speak of. The backyard is in an unfortunate position to catch significant amounts of rainwater from nearby yards, and is sloped. ...

Oklahoma City, OK
Identification of non-native Grape Hyacinth
Mr Smarty Plants, can you tell me please, what is the name of the flower in the attached link? I see numerous references to it as blue bells or bluebells, but when I check the USDA Plants database, no...

OKC, OK
Drought tolerant plants for butterflies and hummingbirds
I have about 150 sq ft of space in our backyard (urban OKC residence) that gets direct sun in the morning but is 100% shaded by 11-Noon from 2 large Sycamore trees. The space is on the west side of t...

Oklahoma City, OK
Hardy taproot trees for Oklahoma City
What are some hardy tap root trees for central Oklahoma?

Edmond, OK
Transplanting redbud from field in Edmond, OK
I want to transplant a small redbud from a field to my yard. The trunk diam is about 1.5" and the tree is about 4' tall. What is the best way to do this? Should I plant it in a pot first?

Edmond, OK
Poisonous Trees
Are redbuds and catalpa trees poisonous?

Edmond, OK
Weeds in Buffalograss from Edmond OK
We have a patch of buffalograss surrounded by patio/flower garden/vegetable garden. We like B-grass, but are getting a lot of weeds despite preemergents, and some bermuda had appeared. Are there h...

Oklahoma City, OK
I have a plant similar to sheepshire. It has red leaves and yellow blooms exactly like the green variety. We brought it here to Oklahoma from Wyoming. I would like to know what it's called and where ...

Oklahoma City, OK
Savannah holly sprouting in lawn in Oklahoma City
I have a 15 year old Savannah Holly in a shrub bed. This year, seedlings have sprouted all over my front lawn. This is the first year that I have had this problem other than in the shrub bed itself. I...

Oklahoma City, OK
Procedure for planting buffalograss
I would like to get a full schedule of events/actions for planting a lawn with buffalo grass. The area is already a lawn, though mostly weeds. It is June/July. First, cover area to be seeded with b...

Oklahoma City, OK
Shade tolerant Wildflowers for Oklahoma City
I live in Oklahoma City. I'm not in town very often, and am seeking low maintenance plants. I have MANY trees in my backyard, which makes it quite shady. I have raised beds amongst my rock garden ...

Oklahoma City, OK
Mosquito repellent plant?
I would like to know if there is a plant that keeps mosquitoes away. Thanks

Oklahoma City, OK
Identification of daisy-like wildflower in New Mexico
I recently visited Angel Fire, NM and I cannot identify the daisy-like wildflower that was growing there. August seemed to be the favorite time for this flower. I asked the local nursery and they th...

Oklahoma City, OK
Rain garden Plants for Colorado
Can you recommend native plants for a rain garden in Colorado Springs

Oklahoma City, OK
Plants for a shaded flower bed in OK City
Here in Oklahoma City we have a flower bed west of our house, shaded all day by the house next door except for 2-3 hours of direct sun from the west. I have struggled with what bushes to plant there....

Oklahoma City, OK
Need suggestion for a tree with a tap root in Oklahoma City, OK.
I would like to know the best tree to plant in my area that does well. Would like a tap root tree and also a tree that will not mess with my septic lines. Thank you

Moore, OK
Transplant shock in my Nuttall Oak tree in Moore, OK.
I had a Nutall oak tree planted; it is 5 inches in diameter and about 24 feet tall. It was planted in March of this year, leafed out ok; now since June 20th I have had a large quantity of the leaves t...

Blanchard, OK
Plants to stop erosion on creek side
I need plants for a westside slope to a creek that will help with erosion, need fast growing and likes lots of sun. Thank you, Mr. Smarty Plants

Midwest City, OK
Problems with Crape Myrtles in Oklahoma.
I planted Crape Myrtles,Catawba, that are about 4 feet high. I planted them last October. They all had new leaves on them a week ago. All of the leaves are now brown and shriveled up. There is a t...

Guthrie, OK
Groundcover for part shade/shade in Oklahoma.
I am looking for perennial ground covers for shade to part shade under red oaks in central Oklahoma. Soil condition is usually dry. Can you recommend some natives in addition to creeper for xeriscape?...