A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Manchaca, TX
Vines for shade in Central Texas
We'd like to fill in our long expanse of yard fencing with climbing vines. We are limited by 40' live oaks that cut off the sun but surely something works in the shade and heat!

Manchaca, TX
Name of the cedar tree at Lake Travis
What is the name of the cedar tree that is at Lake Travis?

Manchaca, TX
Tree transplants having problems in Manchaca TX
I have recently transplanted a Mexican Buckeye, Chinquapin oak, and Sandpaper tree that I have been raising inside since they were seedlings. They have now developed a browning of the tips of their l...

Manchaca, TX
Patio Privacy Screen Suggestions for Central Texas
I have just built a patio and want to plant some small trees, bushes or shrubs to form a visual barrier (rather than to erect a fence)to the neighbors yard.

Manchaca, TX
Possibility of using vinegar solutions for weed control
What is your suggestion about the control of weeds - do you consider vinegar solutions environmentally friendly?

Manchaca, TX
Grey Goo Coming from red Oak in Manchaca TX
I have a large Red Oak in my yard that appears to be weeping some sort of grey goo from parts of the trunk. What is this goo and do I need to treat it and if so how? I'm happy to come by the Wildflow...

Manchaca, TX
Goldenrod recommendations for Buda, TX
I am looking for a Solidago species Goldenrod that is non-invasive and suited to the area around Austin/ Buda, TX. I prefer to use a native, non-hybrid, especially since I am adjacent to a wild area. ...

Austin , Texas, TX
Clipping of beans from newly planted Tecoma stans
I purchased a Esperanza Plant in a pot from a nursery in April of 2008. We planted it and it is doing fine, but came with blooms and beans. Do I need to do clip or prune the beans at this stage of g...

Buda, TX
Identity of small "Pitcher" plants growing in backyard
I have small pitcher plants growing in the grass in my backyard. Looks like very dark cobra. Come every summer when very hot. They are about 4 or 5 inches from base to tip of hood. I have a pic. le...

Buda, TX
Wildlife management tax exemption
I live on 10 acres of prairie land near Austin. I want to learn about drying and pressing and gluing and preserving wildflowers as art in pictures and bookmarks and cards. My attempts have failed an...

Buda, TX
Differentiating between Iles decidua and Ilex vomitoria
Is there any way to tell a male possum haw holly from a female? I have a possum haw that never lost all of it's leaves and has no berries. Could it be a male?

Buda, TX
How to control Yellow Woodsorrel in Habiturf?
Last year we planted Habiturf in our front lawn and prepared the ground as directed with organic compost. This year we have an infestation of low growing yellow oxalis which we believe came in with t...

Buda, TX
Best places to obtain native plants
Where is the best place to get native plants ?

buda, TX
Tag on oak tree in Buda, TX
I found a large oak tree on my property with a tag that has a number on it. Any idea what that means?

Buda, TX
Is Tagetes lemmonii (Copper Canyon Daisy) native to the Southwest?
Due to the continued drought I have resolved to only use native plants in my garden. Copper canyon daisy is be recommended more often at nurseries. The NPSOT lists it a native of Arizona, yet I cann...

Buda, TX
Optimal time to separate and transplant black-eyed Susan
When is the optimal time to separate or transplant black eyed Susan. I have some in a planter on my patio, but it has multiplied and become too crowded for the pot; it needs water daily.

Buda, TX
Problems with Green Cloud purple sage in Buda TX
I planted the "Green Cloud" variety of purple sage about 3 years ago. Yesterday, I noticed yellowish dots on the underside of the leaves of some plants. Is this harmful? The plants seem to be ok ...

Buda, TX
Red maple with burnt leaves in Buda TX
I planted a red maple last fall. Planted in full sun here in Buda Texas. The leaves are yellowing and then they dry out completely almost looks burnt. Problem starts in middle of leaf and then works i...

Buda, TX
When is the best time to transplant Esperanza bushe in Buda, TX?
When is the best time to transplant an Esperanza bush? I want to move it because it is overwhelming my front yard. Thank you,

Buda, TX
When is best time to transplant Ezperanza shrubs in Buda, TX?
I need to transplant 2 huge Esperanza's...when is the best time to uproot them and not kill them?

Buda, TX
Splitting bark on non-native mimosa from Buda TX
What would cause my Mimosa tree to have splitting bark. I've only lived in this house for 8 months and am learning about this tree. The other tree seems fine. It looks as though it split and then ...