A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Cedar Park, TX
Non-native gardenia in Cedar Park, TX
My gardenia, which is planted in a large pot, drops the buds before they bloom. What do I need to do. I already fertilize it with gardenia food.

Cedar Park, TX
Identification of small purplish/pink flower with ferny leaves
There is a totally adorable tiny flower blooming right now in my lease pasture near the Cedar Park Center in Cedar Park, TX. It has a rosette of 2"-3" ferny leaves circling a very tiny (1/4") purp...

cedar park, TX
What is eating the leaves of my oak tree in Cedar Park, TX?
This one has a couple of arborists stumped. I have clusters of small, light-colored worms on the leaves of an oak tree, but no tents or webs. They are eating the chlorophyll in the leaves, leaving th...

Cedar Park, TX
Buffalo grass and other native grass for lawn in Central Texas
Hi, I live in Cedar Park, TX - recently moved to into a newly built house. I wanted to put some native grass (like buffalo) in the back yard. - My back yard has slope (away from house) and front...

Cedar Park, TX
Plants to accompany cactus and agave
What plants would look well with cactus and agave to soften the look of spikiness? Also, a homeowner in our association wants the association to plant a pyracantha at the corner of the street to preve...

cedar park, TX
Autumn flowering Texas wildflowers
Where might I get a list of autumn flowering Texas wildflowers?

Cedar Park, TX
Vine for shady planter from Cedar Park TX
We bought a home in Central Texas and inherited several raised-bed planters. One of the planters is set up to grow a vine, but it's in a part of the yard that is mostly in the shade of a tree. Is t...

Cedar Park, TX
Comment on previous answer from Austin
Ms Bradford, You just answered my question about St. Augustine grass.. actually, you didn't answer it.. You said "sorry, wrong number". Very funny. I think you misunderstood... I would rather no...

Cedar Park, TX
Curling lower leaves on live oak in Cedar Park, TX
I have noticed that one of my live oak tree, the leaves on the bottom of the tree have stared to curl. The leaves above that look fine. The trees are about 12 yrs old. Any suggestions?

Cedar Park, TX
When to transplant volunteer Cedar Elms in Cedar Park, TX?
We have a number of volunteer cedar elms we would like to transplant. When is the best time to do this? Should they be potted first and later transplanted or transplanted immediately? Thanks.

Cedar Park, TX
Native plants for landscaping backyard in Central Texas
We are starting from scratch in our backyard (approx. 200'x60')in Central Texas (Cedar Park). The yard faces West. What do you recommend for plants, trees, shrubs and grass that are native and will ...

Cedar Park, TX
Problems with non-native photinia in Austin
Hi, I live in Cedar Park, TX (Austin Suburb)and have planted a number of Photinia shrubs in various areas of my property. All about 10 months old. The leaves are curling along their length on many...

Cedar Park, TX
Will drought-stricken non-native St. Augustine come back in Cedar Park TX
I recently bought a new house but the grass in the yard looked completely dead (bought house in Nov) even though the neighbor's grass was still green. The previous owner stopped watering the grass (e...

Cedar Park, TX
Alternative to Carolina Cherry Laurel in Cedar Park TX
I love the look of the Carolina Cherry Laurel but hear that its berries are poisonous and can harm my dog if he eats them. What are some other alternatives that have a similar look; I'm looking for ...

Cedar Park, TX
Native alternatives for invasive species
I'm a native plant landscape designer in central Texas, and know our plants well. Still looking for any help I can get on replacements for Asian jasmine, English ivy, Nandina, and Red tipped photin...

Cedar Park, TX
Cenizo for border of school garden from Cedar Park TX
Hi. We're starting a school garden in Central Texas, and instead of building a fence along one side, we'd like to plant a hedge. Ideally, it would grow tall enough to deter deer from jumping over, b...

Cedar Park, TX
Plants for a drainage easement in central Texas
I have a 1/3 acre of drainage easement behind my home. I would like to cover it with wildflowers. It is only wet during or shortly after a rain and otherwise does not have water. I have channelled ...

Cedar Park, TX
Need an evergreen shrub to hide a concrete wall and not attract bees in Cedar Park, TX
I am looking for an evergreen shrub that I can plant in our yard to hide a 3' concrete wall. The area receives full sun during the day, and we would like something that is drought resistant. We also ...

Cedar Park, TX
Noise reduction hedge from Austin
Noise reduction hedge row in Austin. We back up to a very busy street and need a fast growing noise barrier. In a similar post for the Houston area, you recommended Gordonia lasianthus -loblolly bay. ...

Cedar Park, TX
Cardboard or newsprint for mulch from Cedar Park TX
What is your opinion on using cardboard and/or newspaper for mulch in flower beds or around trees?

Cedar Park, TX
Bracket fungus on live oaks
I live in Cedar Park and the house we just bought has 4 native live oaks growing in the front yard. On two of the live oaks there are bracket fungi growing at their base. Each tree just produced two n...