En EspaÑol

A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Beeville, TX
Plant identification for Beeville, TX
Today in Beeville, TX I came across a plant that looks like a grass, but has a small black and white dotted flower. The flower looks like an orchid. Could you identify this or give me direction as t...

Beeville, TX
Non-native, invasive King Ranch bluestem and Coastal bermuda for horses
Is blue stem grass mixed with coastal good for horses?

Sinton, TX
Leaves of non-native crape myrtle browning in Sinton TX
Crepe myrtle – tips of leaves are brown and curling up.

Sinton, TX
Wasps on live oaks from Sinton TX
Wasps on my live oak trees. What is attracting them? Does this hurt the tree?

Odem, TX
Native plants that are dog-proof in South Texas
I live in Odem, Texas and would like to use only native plants in my front and backyard. I have two puppies who love to dig. What plants should I use that require minimal attention from me and will no...

Bayside, TX
Can wildflower seeds be stored in plastic from Bayside TX
I have been harvesting seeds from all of the varieties of wildflowers I'd planted in a raised flower bed. I had vacuum sealed them with my Seal-A Meal but a few days ago I was told that this was not ...

Bayside, TX
How do I plant seeds harvested from my flower bed?
In early Spring of 2011 I planted a new raised bed 75'x4' in size, with wildflower seeds obtained from a commercial nursery in Corpus Christi. I was taken back by their cost relative to the volume o...

Yorktown, TX
Sending a picture of an oak from Yorktown TX
How I can I send a pic of my oak in Yorktown near Cuero?

Robstown, TX
Use of hand-held seed spreader from Robstown TX
I am planting native turf grass and prairie grasses as part of a backyard restoration on my 1.6 acre home site. My problem is good seed dispersal for the chaffey grass seeds. Have you have any luck...

Robstown, TX
User comment on native grass mixes from Robstown TX
As a followup to my question on seed spreaders, native grass and prairie seed mixes seem a good fit for my location in far western Nueces County which is more semi-arrid than 30 miles away in Corpus w...

Campbellton, TX
Problems with tomatoes in tubs in Campbellton, TX
I have my tomatoes planted in big black plastic tubs, they are starting to wilt and dry up. I have put Sevin dust on them for bugs. I haven't been over watering. Could you please tell me why they are...

Portland , TX
Planting non-native coastal bermudagrass in Portland TX
How do you plant coastal grass?

Portland, TX
Are Texas wildflowers dying out from Portland, TX
I am doing a school project on whether or not wildflowers are dying out in the state of Texas or not. I need to find a specialist who specializes on this subject. Could you help me??? Please contac...

Portland, TX
Source for Frostweed plants or seeds from Portland TX
I am looking for somewhere I can buy Frostweed plants or seeds. I live in Portland, TX, but frequent San Antonio and the Hill Country. Can you help me with this?

Portland, TX
Getting rid of King Ranch bluestem
I have recently moved to South Texas Coastal town of Portland, Texas. My St. Augestine turf grass has been invaded by - what the neighbors tell me - King Ranch Blue Stem grass. I am having a terribl...

Corpus Christi, TX
Removing grassy weeds from cactus garden in Corpus Christi TX
How do you get grassy weeds out of a cactus garden? I don't want to use roundup around the cacti? Can you recommend a herbicide that won't harm the cactus?

Corpus Christi, TX
Supplies for green roof from Corpus Christi TX
Where do you buy your expanded clay or shale, your decomposed granite and your rice husks for a green roof?

Corpus Christi, TX
Introduction of King Ranch bluestem (Bothriochloa ischaemem)
Hello, I am a graduate student from TAMUK and I'm writing my thesis concerning natives vs. Old World Bluestems. I was wondering if you could help me find a source that states: King Ranch (or KR) Blu...

Corpus Christi, TX
Esperanza with rust spots in Corpus Christi, TX
I have a young esperanza plant and the leaves have what looks like rust spots all over them. What is the cause of this and what can I do for it? My other larger and older esperanza does not have this....

Corpus Christi, TX
Small native trees/shrubs for Corpus Christi, TX
Which small native trees or tall shrubs would do well in full sun in Corpus Christi for privacy along a fence line? Blooms are a bonus and evergreen is preferred.Searches on the website aren't produc...

Corpus Christi, TX
Non-native Norfolk Pine suffering in Corpus Christi TX
About ten yrs. ago I transplanted my Norfolk Pine into the ground in my backyard. With all the frosty weather of 2010/2011 the Spring brought a browning/dying of a lot of the Norfolk Pines in this are...