A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Center, TX
Fast-growing evergreens for privacy in Center, TX
I live in East Texas and am looking for a fast growing evergreen for a privacy screen around my backyard. The area gets partial sun and the soil has a lot of clay in it.

Austin, TX
Difficult lawn redo in Austin, TX area.
In Oak Hill section of Austin and our 2 year old house had St Augustine dumped atop the raped soil. After the drought of 09 it is all dead. We have most of our large yard native but need grass aroun...

Austin, TX
Which is best-Oklahoma Redbud or Texas Redbud in Austin?
I live in Northwest Austin and would like to plant a small redbud tree in my front yard. My yard gets full sun. Which is better - the Texas redbud or the Oklahoma redbud?

Austin, TX
Root depth of opuntia
What can you tell me about the depth of roots of the opuntia? Does it vary with different varieties or is there formula to estimate the depth according to the mature size or to the culture - garden ...

Austin, TX
When does Ziziphus obtusifolia leaf and flower in Austin?
Hello Mr. S.P., Do you know when the Texas buckthorn, Ziziphus obtusifolia (I believe), flowers (and leafs out) in Austin? Is there one at the Wildflower Center?

Austin, TX
Deer-resistant Texas native flowers and bushes from Austin
What are some Texas native flowers and bushes that are deer resistant?

Austin, TX
Flowering problems with Mexican Plum and Mimosa in Austin, TX
Greetings, My Prunus mexicana (Mexican Plum) did not produce flowers before its leaves. Can you tell me why? I was hoping to have some fruit this year. Also, as of this morning March 13. My...

Austin, TX
Non-native bulbine damaged by freeze
Our Texas bulbine were hit hard this year. The tops are dead, not sure if any roots are still alive. Should we trim them back to the dirt; if roots are still alive, will they emerge again via root s...

Austin, TX
Trees blooming white in Austin area
3/16/10 What are the trees that are blooming white in the Austin area. They are a full tree and very prolific in the area.

Austin, TX
Shrubs and other plants for shady area in Austin
I am looking for what kind of shrubs, plants that I can plant under my very shady oak trees in South Austin. Soil is good, I want to have some lushness under my trees instead of dirt, I have a small a...

Austin, TX
Late emergence of passiflora incarnata hybrid in Austin
Two years ago I planted in my clay soil garden a variation on native passiflora incarnata; the passiflora Elizabeth (a cross between passiflora incarnata and passiflora phoenicia)because I hoped it pr...

Austin, TX
Deer Resistant part shade plants for Austin:
What evergreen shrubs would you recommend for a partly-shaded area, next to a wall, which can be trimmed to keep their shape and height (for symmetry)..this is for a front gate to a community, so we n...

Austin, TX
Spots on just-emerging Zexmenia in Austin
My zexmenia is just coming up from the ground after a cold winter in Austin. The leaves are all spotted with tiny holes as if something is munching on them before they even leave the ground or just as...

Austin, TX
Information about non-native Feijoa sellowiana (pineapple guave)
Does a pineapple guava thrive in Austin, zip 78735? What height does it grow and what watering is needed?

Austin, TX
Thinning of non-native rosemary
I live in NW Austin and have a very large rosemary bush that is having problems this season. We trimmed the bush in early March because the plant was getting too large for the space. It is roughly 3...

Austin, TX
Oxalis drummondii as ground cover
We live in Austin, Texas. A sunny, dry swath of grass (originally St. Augustine) has been invaded by pink wood-sorrel (a large-leafed, mounding kind). I love the wood-sorrel, and would like to use it ...

Austin, TX
Non-native, invasive bamboo for sloped river bank in Texas?
What type of native plants/trees/shrubs/grasses would you recommend planting on a 20 ft sloped bank on the Colorado river in Texas to prevent further erosion of the bank? How do you feel about bamboo?...

Port Lavaca, TX
How to grow milkweeds (Asclepias spp.) for monarch butterflies
I tried and tried and tried to grow Asclepias viridis, A. asperula and even A. oenotheroides from seeds and even tubers for fourteen years! Do you have advice for growing these and other milkweed plan...

Austin, TX
Small, drought and shade-tolerant perennials for Austin, Texas
We need suggestions for small, drought- and shade-tolerant perennials to be planted in Austin, Texas, please.

Austin, TX
Austin Shade Plants for Pots
I live in a condo in Austin Texas so I don't have any flower beds or yard space. I would like to put a few large pots of plants and flowers on my front patio but it's mostly shaded during the day. W...

Austin, TX
Time to plant echinacea seeds in Austin
When should I plant echinacea seeds in Austin?