A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Rainbow, TX
Transplanting Mustang Grapes
What is the best way to grow mustang grapes? We have vines established over the property but up too high to continue to harvest and a couple of young vines on the ground that haven't reached the clo...

Nemo, TX
Identification of bluebonnet-like flower
I have discovered a plant that looks like a bluebonnet but is much larger. It has leggy stems and similar leaf structure and the bonnet in more compact with purple vs blue flowers. The plant is growin...

Glen Rose, TX
Hiding a chicken house from Glen Rose TX
To hide a chicken house, which do you recommend, crape myrtles or chinese photinias?

Granbury, TX
Plant called beargrass from Granbury, TX
I am not a native Texan. We have a clump of what my husband (from Big Spring) calls "Bear Grass." It is over to the side of our yard and we have always enjoyed it (moved here in 1982). It blooms ...

Granbury, TX
Search for non-native Rosa Rugosa for Granbury TX
I would like to find an old fashioned Rosa Rugosa (non-hybrid) to grow in central Texas. I know I've seen them occasionally when traveling in the central TX area. I want them for their rose hips. ...

Granbury, TX
Is it deer or ducks eating plants in Granbury, TX?
I have some salvia and coreopsis that were recently beheaded along with some blooms on Knockout roses. I had just recently put out some Deerscram, but we've had some ducks visiting recently. Could ...

Granbury, TX
Transplanting and grafting pecan in Granbury TX
I found several native pecans on my property this spring. Apparently they grew from nuts buried by squirrels. I put small protective fences around them and plan to dig and move them (bare root) next...

Granbury, TX
Problems with non-native Ligustrum in Granbury TX
Hi, I am hoping you can tell me why my Ligustrum is dropping leaves? At purchase I was told they are evergreen. We are using them for a privacy hedge and would like to prevent any more leaf drop. The...

Granbury, TX
Non-native bermudagrass dying under non-native globe willow in Granbury TX
We have a beautiful globe willow in our back yard with bermuda grass. All the grass is thinning out or dying under the tree. What can we do, is there another glass we could use that blends well with...

Granbury, TX
Need suggestions for plants to form a privacy hedge in Granbury, TX.
We live on a rocky hill in Hood County, Tx. and need suggestions for evergreen anything that will provide privacy. Red Cedars were added in October 2010 and it looks as if half of those are dying. He...

Granbury, TX
Use of Gaura by deer as a food source
I live in North Central Texas and am considering planting some Gaura plants in my backyard. However, we have a large deer population in the area. Are deer generally drawn to Gaura as a food source?

Granbury, TX
Toxicity of Texas Mountain Laurel seeds to livestock and dogs?
Are the seeds of the Texas Mountain Laurel poisonous to livestock or dogs? Thanks

Granbury, TX
Getting rid of a small itchy vine in Granbury, Texas
I am clearing an area near some trees that has never been "domesticated". There is a little itchy vine that grows pretty extensively (not very much top growth, but is all over the place). The smal...

Granbury, TX
Looking for seed for Clematis drummondii in Granbury, TX.
I am trying to landscape with native Texas plants. I want a Clematis drummondii and have no idea where to get one. I read it grows readily from seeds, but I cannot locate any. Can you help. Also, ...

Granbury, TX
Trimming back Texas Star hibiscus in Granbury TX
Can I trim back my Texas Star Hibuscus? And when do I do that?

Granbury, TX
Growing non-native avocado outside from Austin
My son has a very large avocado tree that he rooted from a pit that is currently growing in a large container. However, it has gotten too big to winter inside. Can it be planted in the ground in Aust...

Godley, TX
Spots on bluebonnets from Godley TX
Hi Mr. Smarty Plants! I'm trying to separate rumor and folktales from fact when it comes to bluebonnets in Texas. I notice that bluebonnet blossoms have a double white spot on the center petal tha...

Godley, TX
Bunch grasses for labyrinth that are good for livestock
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, I'm designing an outdoor labyrinth that will be in full sun in our black Slidell clay soil here in north central Texas. The area MAY be mowed for hay at a later date (i.e...

Godley, TX
Shrubs and trees to protect beehives in Godley TX
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, Is there a (relatively) fast growing native small tree or large shrub (NOT cedar) that tolerates Johnson County clay, full sun, sometimes damp and sometimes dry soil with no...

Morgan, TX
Transplanting of yucca plants
We have several Arkansas Yucca plants in our yard that we want to transplant to a plant bed. How do we do that?

Cleburne, TX
Ridding property of Dichelostemma Firecracker Plant from Cleburne TX
How do we get rid of Dichelostemma-Firecracker plant? It has invaded our yard & we hate it! How do we kill it?