A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Georgetown, TX
Species of hackberry best for wildlife from Georgetown, TX
Which species of Hackberry tree is the best for wildlife in Georgetown, TX (just north of Austin)? Your Plant Database says Celtis occidentals is "among the BEST food and shelter plants for wildlife,...

Georgetown, TX
Plants to grow between patio pavers
We'd like to use poured concrete pavers for a deck. What grows well, whether it be grass or other, between these. We'll have 4-6" between 4 foot pavers. And would love to find something that does...

Georgetown, TX
Additional screening under yaupons in Georgetown TX
We live on a corner and have a berm along the south side of our yard which blocks our backyard from the street. It was planted with uprights yaupons. With the drought, deer have eaten the bottom por...

Georgetown, TX
Vine to cover concrete retaining wall in Georgetown TX
I have an unsightly concrete retaining wall and culvert covers that require fast coverage from a vine of some sort. The plant must be deer resistant and drought tolerant. The retaining wall and culv...

Georgetown, TX
Difference in acorn yields from Georgetown TX
Why do some live oaks produce acorns in abundance and others do not?

Georgetown, TX
Identification of daisy-like yellow flower
Georgetown, TX - I have two flowers blooming in my field that I can't identify. One is strong gold and the other strong orange. I cannot identify the leaf pad. There are no leaves on the stem which...

Georgetown, TX
Transplanting bluebonnets in late Fall from Georgetown TX
Transplanting bluebonnets in October? Neighbor wants to share abundance of rosettes and good size plants- any suggestions or warnings? Will freeze/frost protection be needed if we get December freeze...

Georgetown, TX
Vinegar as a Herbicide
When can you use vinegar on weeds to get rid of them.

Georgetown, TX
Using Sound to Repel Deer
We have several motion activated water scarecrows for deer intrusions and have heard about sound scarecrows. Do you know if they are effective and do they bother pets such as cats, birds, etc.?

Georgetown, TX
Identification of plant similar to Lindheimer's senna (Senna lindheimeriana)
I purchased "Lindheimer's Senna" at our MG plant sale in Williamson Co. two years ago. My three plants are now 6 ft. tall but I don't think they are Lindheimers. I've searched your plant files ...

Georgetown, TX
Mowing frequency of native lawn from Georgetown TX
I have a native grass and wildflower lawn. At what frequency and when should the lawn be mowed?

Georgetown, TX
Replacements for yuccas from Georgetown TX
I have lost some softleaf and variegated yucca to a beetle grub destroying the root system - like the Agave snout beetle does. I have put an insecticidal drench on my remaining plants, but suspect wi...

Georgetown, TX
Anacacho orchid not leafing out in Georgetown TX
February 2012 I planted 2 4-ft anacacho orchids which did well. This spring, they have yet to leaf out or even bud. There is green, however, when I scratch the stems and some suckers at the bottom of ...

Georgetown, TX
Caterpillars feeding on Phacelia congesta
Can you tell me which caterpillars can be found on Phacelia congesta in Bell County?

Georgetown, TX
Ants in the compost pile from Georgetown TX
Can you give me any suggestions for ridding my compost pile of ants?

Georgetown, TX
Male and female possumhaws for berries from Georgetown TX
Do I need to plant two ilex decidua (possumhaws), a male and female to have red berries on the tree in the winter?

Georgetown, TX
Dead leaves on yucca in Georgetown TX
We have 2 6ft and 3 smaller soft leaf yuccas out back in a kidney shaped area with a wax myrtle and a mountain laurel. The yuccas have done great but now two of them have a large number of dead leaves...

Georgetown, TX
Replacements for Ashe Junipers in Georgetown, TX
We have cut down several cedar trees on our property in Williamson County Texas. We would like to replace the cedar trees with another variety of tree. Do you have recommendations for what type of t...

Georgetown, TX
Why didn't the mountain laurels bloom this year in Georgetown, TX?
Why are the mountain laurels not blooming this year, I live in Georgetown, TX?

Georgetown, TX
Is Ruellia aggressive?
Is Ruellia aggressive?

Georgetown, TX
Watering Native Trees in Georgetown, TX
I installed a native/adapted plantscape in early March including several small trees. They were planted in the rocky soil west of I-35 in Georgetown with plenty of added compost and mulch. Other than ...