A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Georgetown, TX
Difference in acorn yields from Georgetown TX
Why do some live oaks produce acorns in abundance and others do not?

Georgetown, TX
Blue Mist Ageratum Shrub?
Is there a shrub version of Blue Mistflower Ageratum? I believe we saw some at the Butterfly Center in MacAllen. Would it survive in Georgetown, TX?

Georgetown, TX
Vinegar as a Herbicide
When can you use vinegar on weeds to get rid of them.

Georgetown, TX
Caterpillars feeding on Phacelia congesta
Can you tell me which caterpillars can be found on Phacelia congesta in Bell County?

Georgetown, TX
Anacacho orchid not leafing out in Georgetown TX
February 2012 I planted 2 4-ft anacacho orchids which did well. This spring, they have yet to leaf out or even bud. There is green, however, when I scratch the stems and some suckers at the bottom of ...

Georgetown, TX
Identification of daisy-like yellow flower
Georgetown, TX - I have two flowers blooming in my field that I can't identify. One is strong gold and the other strong orange. I cannot identify the leaf pad. There are no leaves on the stem which...

Georgetown, TX
Mountain Laurels are dying in Georgetown, TX.
Ten year old Mountain Laurels both last year and this spring have had entire branches turn brown just after blooming this Feb. Round Rock Arborist suggested I contact you. Last year one of my laurels...

Georgetown, TX
Transplanting bluebonnets in late Fall from Georgetown TX
Transplanting bluebonnets in October? Neighbor wants to share abundance of rosettes and good size plants- any suggestions or warnings? Will freeze/frost protection be needed if we get December freeze...

Georgetown, TX
Source of Pectis angustifolia from Georgetown TX
You answered an earlier question about Limoncillo (Pectis angustifolia) by saying you had found a source for these seeds in Santa Fe, but the hyperlink was inoperable. I'd like to try to propogate t...

Georgetown, TX
Species of hackberry best for wildlife from Georgetown, TX
Which species of Hackberry tree is the best for wildlife in Georgetown, TX (just north of Austin)? Your Plant Database says Celtis occidentals is "among the BEST food and shelter plants for wildlife,...

Georgetown, TX
Is Ruellia aggressive?
Is Ruellia aggressive?

GEORGETOWN, TX
Deer eating Non-native Asiatic Jasmine in Georgetown, TX
Is there a spray or granular material that will prevent deer from eating asiatic jasmine?

Georgetown, TX
Why is fall the best time to plant Bluebonnet seeds?
Bluebonnet plants drop their seeds in late May or early June. Why is it recommended to broadcast Bluebonnet seeds in October which is 5 months after the plant drops its seeds?

Georgetown, TX
Plants for Georgetown with shade in the AM and sun in the PM
Hi, I live in Georgetown and I would like a recommendation for plants (shrubs and flowering perennials) that can handle deep shade until 1 or 2 pm and then have full sun blasting them til sun down. T...

Georgetown, TX
Are Verbena Annuals Deer Resistant?
Are Verbena Estrella Pink Star annuals deer resistant?

Georgetown, TX
Oak Wilt in Georgetown, TX
We have lost several live oaks to oak wilt. Another couple are dying but still have some green leaves. Is it OK to cut down these trees now or should we wait until they are entirely dead? I've heard ...

Georgetown, TX
Location of Alamo fungicide kit from Georgetown TX
Where can I buy the Alamo fungicide injection kit shown in the oak wilt video?

Georgetown, TX
Ants in the compost pile from Georgetown TX
Can you give me any suggestions for ridding my compost pile of ants?

Georgetown, TX
Identification of plant similar to Lindheimer's senna (Senna lindheimeriana)
I purchased "Lindheimer's Senna" at our MG plant sale in Williamson Co. two years ago. My three plants are now 6 ft. tall but I don't think they are Lindheimers. I've searched your plant files ...

Georgetown, TX
Trimming of Escarpment Oak from Austin
We have a 2-year-old quercus fusiformis in our front yard and have been advised by some people that we need to remove the bottom branches and trim the ends of the branches that are hanging far down. ...

Georgetown, TX
When will the bluebonnets appear this year?
When will the bluebonnets appear this year? We have many friends and family who want to visit when they are in bloom. Thanks.