Lockhart, TX
Mowing wildflower concerns from Lockhart TX
I went to the Texas Highway Department (Texas Department of Transportation) web site and sent them a concern or complaint about them or independent contractors shredding the roadsides before the blueb...

Lockhart, TX
Why has my Kidneywood tree not put out leaves this year in Lockhart, TX?
I have a native Kidneywood which I planted in 2003. It has grown enthusiastically since that time. It has always leafed late in the Spring, late April - mid - May. It bloomed several times in 2009. Th...

Lockhart, TX
Baby mountain laurels are ready to move, in Lockhart Texas
I want to harvest the baby mountain laurel plants which are growing under a large bush. What height would be best for the young plants survival? Please recommend a soil mixture for the pots.

Lockhart, TX
Bluebonnet Planting in January in Lockhart
My husband has yet again failed for the second year straight to put out the bluebonnet seeds in our backyard back in October. Is it too late now that it's mid January for me to get them in the groun...

Lockhart, TX
Scarifying seeds of evergreen sumacs from Lockhart TX
Dear Smarty Plants, We would like to grow our own evergreen sumacs. Consulting Nokes book, How to Grow Native Plants on page 310, it says to scarify fresh uncleaned seeds for 30-45 minutes. On page...

Lockhart, TX
Blue agave with freeze damage in Lockhart TX
I recently planted a blue agave plant, and 4 days after I planted it the temperature dropped to 20 degrees at night. The plants are still alive but 75% of the outer limbs turned brown. What do I do wi...

Lockhart, TX
Native shrubs for privacy hedge in Lockhart, TX
I will be retiring from the US Army to Lockhart, Texas in March. We have a small house with a 6' security fence. I have always been an advocate of Hedges for security, sound dampening and wildlife ...

Lockhart, TX
Texas Ash secreting sap in Lockhart, TX
I have what I believe is a Texas Ash in my front yard that is secreting a sap with what looks like some wounds on it with some white stuff and with black and red looking ants as well as it has a lot o...

Dale, TX
Freeze-resistant palms for Central Texas
I live in Lytton Springs just north of Lockhart. What is a good hardy palm that I can get that will grow without the worry of freeze?

Dale, TX
Yard grass that cows like to eat in Dale, TX
I need to know of a good grass seed to plant in the yard that will also be eaten by our cows. Prefer one that doesn't have any type of stickers/cocker burrs.

Dale , TX
Plants for north side from Dale TX
What native trees and bushes can I plant on the north side of house? Can I use corn meal( I NEED FIGHT A GRASS) in flowerbed and then plant native wildlife seeds(FLOWERS)?

Uhland, TX
Split trunk in Bald Cypress in Uhland, TX
I live just south of Austin, and near the pond (stock tank) is a bald cypress, young, about 12-15 yrs., and after this past year, drought and all, I was dismayed to find it not leafing out. When I in...

Martindale, TX
Replanting yaupon in Blanco TX
How do I replant Yaupon in its native area Blanco TX?

Martindale, TX
Identification of invasive plant
I have found an invasive plant species in Martindale, Texas that I would like to identify for family members. It is taking over their pasture and is difficult to eliminate. It has not bloomed yet but...

Luling, TX
Propagation of Mexican olive in Luling, TX
Mr. Smarty Plants: we live in Luling, just south of Austin and have a 4 year old Mexican Olive tree; question: how do we propagate this 'hard to find' tree? Thank you so much.

Kyle, TX
Wildseed Planting in a drought
Due to the extreme drought and no rain in the near future in central Texas would it be prudent to have a wildseed planting in October?

Kyle, TX
Hedge in central Texas
Help, my oleanders are dying. I am in need of hedge suggestions- ideal would be quick growing, maybe 8-12 feet at their tallest. I live in Central Texas.

Kyle, TX
Bark problems on Platanus occidentalis (American Sycamore)
I got home today, after two hot sunny days, and found that one of the sycamores (street tree) planted last year (3-4" caliper) has vertically split and peeling bark on the south side of the trunk (la...

Kyle, TX
Texas native mulberry tree
My family recently moved to Kyle, TX (north of San Marcos, south of Austin). I am delighted to discover a dewberry tree in our yard. I have never heard of such a thing. Is this a common species?...

Kyle, TX
When should I remove the stakes from Oak trees planted last november in Kyle, TX?
I live in Kyle TX. I have new construction of oak trees that are about 10 feet tall and are staked. How long should they stay staked? They were put in the ground about Thanksgiving 2009. Thanks.

Kyle, TX
Possible non-native squash and gourd cross from Kyle TX
Last year I gathered seeds from the yellow squash plants that were grown from a seed packet (hybrid, I assume). Well, now the fruit produced by those plants seems to be a cross between a yellow squash...