A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Del Valle, TX
Replanting members of Rosaceae family in same spot
HI Mr. Smarty Plants We had two apple (yellow fruit) trees besides out house and they died. Is it ok to replant in the same place with other trees without being afraid something is wrong with the soi...

Del Valle , TX
Plants that survive Central Texas weather
What type of plants survive the Central Texas region weather for summer and winter?

Austin, TX
Is California fan palm found on Edwards Plateau from Austin
Is the following Palm, Washingtonia filifera, found in the Texas Hill Country, specifically the Edwards Plateau or Balcones Canyonlands NWR.

Austin, TX
Yucca rostrata needs some help in Austin, TX.
We planted an expensive 5-6 foot Yucca rostrata last fall. It bloomed beautifully in the spring. We installed an irrigation link to water the recently planted areas with succulents, viburnums, spart...

Austin, TX
Native lawn replacement for shady areas in Austin
Our front lawn was totally destroyed this summer during some remodeling construction. I am interested in replacing it with native grasses, but we have several oak trees that keep the area fairly shady...

Austin, TX
Removing invasive Dichelostemma firecracker plant from Austin
We have dichelostemma firecracker plant & cannot kill it. We need help in getting rid of this plant. Spent another 3 hours digging up corms this afternoon. It is invading our backyard & want it kil...

Austin, TX
Tall native grasses for privacy in Central Texas
Hi- I am looking for a grass that will grow tall and be thick for privacy. I live here in Austin east of 35. Obviously something draught tolerant would be great! Thank you!

Austin, TX
Native turf grass for Austin
I am installing a xeriscape landscape in my yard. It will be in full sun and I am looking for an alternative to turf, such as monkey grass. However, I am concerned about the light. Suggestions?

Austin, TX
Seeds to scatter from Austin
Which seeds are good to throw and scatter on lawns or garden beds? Seeds that germinate easily, I suppose?

Austin, TX
Dividing non-native daffodils from Austin
The foliage on my daffodils is lush and healthy, but I have no blooms. Should I divide them?

Austin, TX
Deadwood for Degus
I have a very specific and hopefully easy question. I just brought home some degus (small adorable rodents) and they have a severely restricted list of woods they can chew on safely. The safe trees th...

Austin, TX
Soil for Emory Oak from Dripping Springs, TX
I bought an Emory Oak today at the Wildflower Center's plant sale. Upon reading about it when I got home, I see "it won't grow in alkaline soils." I was hoping to plant it in the riparian area ...

Austin, TX
Wildflower Center work on non-native, invasive Bastard Cabbage from Austin
Still have cabbage weeds that infiltrated Austin awhile back. How did Wildflower Center resolve it?

Austin, TX
Why aren't the Caesalpinia species in the Native Plant Database
Why doesn't the Wildflower Center list Caesalpinia in its plant database? I grow 3 species in my garden with no coddling: C. mexicana, C. gilliesii, and C. pulcherrima. I underst...

Austin, TX
Need help with a fungal disease in oak trees in Austin, TX
Two adjacent oak trees in my yard are showing distinct symptoms of Sudden Oak Death. Most notably, the lowest ten feet of their trunks have several bleeding cankers with thick, tarry ooze and no accom...

Austin, TX
Escarpment Black Cherry losing leaves in Austin, TX.
Dear Mr. Plants: We live in Austin off of Mount Bonnell Road. We have beautiful 20 foot tall + black escarpment cherry tree very near the house with leaves turning yellow like it's about to drop th...

Austin, TX
Information about Turk's Cap for school project
Hello, my name is Veronica. I am doing a Species Study on Turk's Cap at Clint Small Middle School in the Green Tech Academy. I would like to learn more on my Native Texas Species. I am contacting you...

Austin, TX
Grass installation with plugs from Austin
As much as I would love to use the seed mixture you suggest for Austin, I am not physically able to do the needed prep and was unable last year to get a professional. No one would even call me back wh...

Austin, TX
Why did my Prairie Flax plant die in Austin, TX?
Hello, We planted 4 prairie flax last fall in garden. They were all growing nicely until last month when I found that one of them has completely dried up and died. The plants are planted together a...

Austin, TX
Something eating cannas in Austin
What is eating my cannas?

Austin, TX
What is hollowing out my rosebuds in Austin, TX?
I recently noticed some of my rose buds had been hollowed out from the inside. I have seen no evidence of insect though. What do you think it is and how can I treat the problem?