Del Valle, TX
Replanting members of Rosaceae family in same spot
HI Mr. Smarty Plants We had two apple (yellow fruit) trees besides out house and they died. Is it ok to replant in the same place with other trees without being afraid something is wrong with the soi...

Del Valle , TX
Plants that survive Central Texas weather
What type of plants survive the Central Texas region weather for summer and winter?

Austin, TX
How to stabilize a slope under Red Oaks?
A portion our front "yard" (20x40 feet) is a limestone hillside shaded by 3 large spanish oaks. The small amount of grass holding onto the hillside is now gone from the drought, and the hill has er...

Austin, TX
Decline ot Heartleaf rosemallow from Austin
My tulipan del monte -a new small plant from the wildflower center--did great all winter and was forming a new flower bud, just died in a matter of a few days. It looks like it "dried up", no visib...

Austin, TX
Red oaks that didn't drop leaves in Austin
I have a number of Red Oaks on land that did not drop leaves this past fall. Now these same trees seem to be dead? It seems there's some type of mold/fungus on the trees. Some trees have small patche...

Austin, TX
Searchable lists of plant sale plants from Austin
Is there a way to obtain a searchable list of the plants available at the Wildflower Plant Sale in April?

Austin, TX
Planting times and sun for native plants from Austin
When to plant Phacelia congesta seeds? Can Maximilian sunflowers tolerate partial shade?

Austin, TX
Plants for pond, for incline and area with poor soil
I have three plant recommendation questions for Austin, TX. 1. I have a large pond that I would like to put native aquatic plants in. What are some hardy aquatic natives I could put in? The pond ...

Austin, TX
Milkweed Seedlings Source for Austin, Texas
Where can I find seedlings or four inch pots of common milkweed? I have a backyard garden that is mostly filtered sunlight and space for them.

Austin, TX
Looking for a supplier for Mustang Grape vine in Austin, TX>
I'm looking for a supplier in Austin that will have a Mustang Grape Vine seed or plant for purchase. I found Natives of Texas in Kerrville, but if you know of a supplier in Austin, that would be pre...

Austin, TX
Distribution vs. Native Distribution in NPIN?
I'm a Habitat Steward in Austin and conducting a native plant swap tomorrow, 9/28/13. I need to be able to tell people who come whether their plant is native or not. I want to use your smart phone ...

Austin, TX
Identity of shrubs in Austin neighborhood
I have run across two beautiful bushes in our neighborhood. They have flowering branches that daisy-chain out like a fountain. No one can tell me what they are. They are located in front and on the ...

Austin, TX
Planting fields with wildflowers
I'm hoping to seed a few fields (large area, short grass) the easiest way possible. I'd love to do bluebonnets but I don't think I can get a large aerator to the locations. Basically I'm wonderi...

Austin, TX
Thorny plants for a security perimeter in Austin TX
Hello, I am trying to establish a security perimeter around my property that incorporates thorny or otherwise deterrent shrubs and vines. Can you recommend some attractive native plants that would su...

Austin, TX
Evergreen shrub for screening from Austin
Is there an evergreen, fruit shrub which grows 8 to 10 feet high, having about 6 to 8 hours of sun which could be trimmed to serve as a screen in front of pool equipment on the side of our house?

Austin, TX
Problems with non-native St. Augustine lawn from Austin
We have St. Augustine in our front lawn. There are some patches where the grass has entirely died but mixed in with the dead areas are little clumps of living grass. It seems to be spreading througho...

Austin, TX
School project on acid rain effects on plants from Austin
Hi I go to an Austin high school and I am doing a project on how acid rain affects plant growth. I am wondering if you know any plants that would be more or less susceptible to acid rain for this proj...

Austin, TX
Ruffly foliage on native lantana
A native lantana in my front yard has developed ruffly foliage on one stem. It looks like miniature broccoli. What can this be?

Austin, TX
Questions on non-native St. Augustine from Austin
I have St. Augustine grass in my yard. I am having work done in my yard soon, which will require new sod. I know the St. Augustine has to take root in the ground before the first freeze, to assure t...

Austin, TX
Day trips for wildflower viewing from Austin
I live in Austin, Texas. Where is the best place for bluebonnet viewing? Or a day trip to see wildflowers? Thank you.

Austin, TX
Lopidea on Texas Mountain Laurel from Austin
How do I get rid of the Lopidea ALL OVER my Texas Laurels and boring into the seed pods?