A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Manor, TX
January good time to plant live oak in January from Manor TX
I want to plant a Live Oak in January. Is this a good time to plant it?

Dale, TX
Yard grass that cows like to eat in Dale, TX
I need to know of a good grass seed to plant in the yard that will also be eaten by our cows. Prefer one that doesn't have any type of stickers/cocker burrs.

Dale, TX
Freeze-resistant palms for Central Texas
I live in Lytton Springs just north of Lockhart. What is a good hardy palm that I can get that will grow without the worry of freeze?

Dale , TX
Plants for north side from Dale TX
What native trees and bushes can I plant on the north side of house? Can I use corn meal( I NEED FIGHT A GRASS) in flowerbed and then plant native wildlife seeds(FLOWERS)?

Red Rock, TX
Freeze damage to non-native Sago Palms in Red Rock TX
I have 4 beautiful large sago palms in my rural Texas yard. All 4 have been damaged by several hard freezes this winter. All fronds are brown, with a little green at base of inner fronds. Are they ...

Del Valle , TX
Plants that survive Central Texas weather
What type of plants survive the Central Texas region weather for summer and winter?

Del Valle, TX
Replanting members of Rosaceae family in same spot
HI Mr. Smarty Plants We had two apple (yellow fruit) trees besides out house and they died. Is it ok to replant in the same place with other trees without being afraid something is wrong with the soi...

Bastrop, TX
Screen of Thuja Occidentalis on fire-damaged property in Bastrop TX
I want to plant a screen of Thuja Occidentalis on the east side of our driveway. It is in the burn area of Bastrop, TX. None of our trees survived. Will Thuja Occidentalis grow here? I saw some specim...

Bastrop, TX
Restoring fire damage in Bastrop TX
I live in the Bastrop State Park area. We were severely affected by the wildfire and as we are trying to rebuild our home, we are being very aware of the particularities of the recovery process. We lo...

Bastrop, TX
Propagation of Texas sage from Bastrop, TX
Am I wasting my time trying to transplant texas sage runners? Any advice?

Bastrop, TX
Evergreen plants with showy flowers for pots in Central Texas
I'm looking for evergreen plants with showy flowers suitable for Central Texas. Plants need to do well in pots.. they will be planted in flower boxes in my very sunny porch. thanks!!!

Bastrop, TX
Grasses and wildflowers for Central Texas
I live between Bastrop and Paige and would like to know native grasses or types of wildflowers I can plant now. thank you

Bastrop, TX
Dandelions in bluebonnets in Bastrop TX
I have a 20'x60' front yard area where I planted bluebonnets. It has become horrifically inundated with dandelions. How do I eradicate the dandelions while preserving the bluebonnets ? Thanks ...

Bastrop, TX
Evergreen deer resistant shrub for Texas
I live in Bastrop TX and the deer have decimated the landscaping at the end of our sidewalk. I need to find compact, evergreen shrubs, (flowering would be a bonus), that will do well in shade and gro...

Bastrop, TX
Collecting bluebonnet seeds
Greetings, My bluebonnets have bloomed nicely, and are showing a good crop of seed pods. I know that if I wait they will all open and spray the seeds everywhere, but I want to harvest some of the s...

Bastrop, TX
Trimming of Flame acanthus from Bastrop TX
My flame acanthus never lost leaves off the bottom tier of branches this winter. With the brief warm weather and rain we've had, the top and middle tier of branches have all re-leafed. It is very l...

Bastrop, TX
Mixing of bluebonnets and buffalograss in a lawn
I have moved into a house with a yard full of weeds. I would like to plant Buffalograss but understand Buffalograss is sparce and difficult to keep the weeds out. So, I was considering mixing it wit...

Bastrop, TX
Evergreen non-native herbs for Bastrop TX
I'm looking for evergreen herbs for Bastrop Texas. I planted an herb garden in the spring of 2009, but mostly all of them died in the winter. Rosemary, Tarragon and Sage made it. thank you!

Bastrop, TX
Stump sprouting of Oak trees in the wildfire area in Bastrop, TX.
We live in Bastrop, Texas, in the wildfire area. We lost all of our trees. The oak trees have "suckers" growing from the base of the burned tree that has been cut down. They look like little bushe...

Bastrop, TX
Groundcovers to replace meadow grasses
Are there any groundcovers that are tolerant to local conditions between Bastrop and Elgin and hardy enough to takeover meadow grasses? I have a couple of acres that was a meadow before I moved here e...

Bastrop, TX
Information about giant yellow and black wasps
Regarding a previous question submitted by a person asking about the giant yellow and black wasps..It's a Cicada Killer.I used to see them all the time when I was a kid in Victoria, Tx..But I haven'...