A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Salado, TX
Yellowing leaves on Mexican Plum in Salado, TX.
I do live in Cental Texas (Salado) and I have the same problem with my Mexican Plum as the lady in Bellaire, TX. Mine was planted in June in a raised bed and receives sun all day long. Within the la...

Salado, TX
Evergreen screen for newly constructed metal building
Neighbor built a 12' tall metal building right by my gate. I want to screen it with fast-growing evergreen natives. I have lots of ashe juniper on my property, but none where I need it now! Can AJ...

Salado, TX
Need some help with a Buffalo grass planting in Salado, TX
Recently we planted buffalo grass sod in the spring of 2007. During the summer I had a problem with barnyard grass due to a lot of rain. During 2008 I had a problem with nut grass. I had been advise...

Salado, TX
Wildflower seed balls
On one of the HGTV garden shows Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center was featured. It showed how you could make little dirt balls filled with wild flower seeds and throw them around your land making i...

Salado, TX
Care of a live oak with decay and perhaps fungus on trunk
I have a huge live oak on my property in Salado that just lost a very large branch. The branch had decay in the center and also has a variety of bugs in it, espeically since it has been on the ground...

Salado, TX
Identification of blue flower
I have two similar (but obviously different) wild flowers growing on my property. I have pictures of each. What email address can I use to send them to you to identify? I thought one was blue-...

Salado, TX
Source for sod in Salado TX
Can you tell me where I can buy grass sod in Georgetown-Salado area? When I called Grass and More I got a non-working number recording. Thank you!

Belton, TX
Vine for pergola in Belton TX
Hello, I would like to know what vine would be best to cover a rather large pergola. It will be in full sun in caliche soil. :( The area has access to a water hose and I would like to have something...

Belton, TX
Native Bird Feeding in Belton, TX
We recently bought a bird feeder and a huge bucket of non-native bird seed (I'm not sure if the whole seed mix is non-native, but I believe most of the mix is). The birds go through the whole bird fe...

Belton, TX
Is sulfurous well water affecting leaves on trees in Belton TX
We installed an irrigation system for our buffalo grass lawn last spring. The grass is fine but the leaves on the trees are burned where the water hits them. I suspect that the well we are using fo...

Belton, TX
Is any part of Mountain Laurel poisonous to goats from Belton TX
We are considering planting Mountain Laurel in a field where we keep goats. Will any part of the Mountain Laurel be poisonous if eaten by the goats? If it would be poisonous, could you suggest some o...

Belton, TX
Fertilizer amounts for native perennials in Belton, TX
I am a novice gardener and need advice on how to fertilize my native perennials. I would like to use organic fertilizer and need advice on exactly what to use. I have a compost pile but it does not ...

Belton, TX
When is it time to remove diseased oak trees in Belton, TX?
When to give up on my live oaks. We lost/mostly several live oaks since 2011 and the drought. One, died from the crown, one large mass at a time, and now resembles a 10' totem pole with scraggly gro...

Belton, TX
Identification of vine with large leaves and blue-black berries
I visited a creek with a limestone seep spring that supplies it. Around the creek is growing some kind plant that has leaves that are very similar to a briar, or snailseed. However, the leaves of the ...

Belton, TX
Elimination of non-native, invasive King Ranch bluestem in lawn
How can I eliminate an annual infestation of king ranch bluestem in my bermuda lawn? Thanks.

Belton, TX
Propagation of Gregg's mistflower in Belton, TX
I would like to know how to plant seeds from Gregg's mistflowers. Can the seeds be planted in the spring, and if so, do they need to be prepared first (soaked overnight, etc)?

Belton, TX
Hibiscus wilt in Texas Star hibiscus
I have a Texas star hibiscus on my deck. It flourished all summer, but not quite a month ago, the leaves turned yellow and fell off. Will it come back? What happened???

Belton, TX
I have a grandchild that said the seed pod on a plant that looks like a clover is edible. It has clover like leaves and a little yellow flower. I did taste it and it kind of taste like a pickle. Th...

Belton, TX
Keeping a Texas Madrone alive from Belton TX
I have found a supplier of a Texas Madrone and have been wanting to grow one ever since our family vacation to Big Bend NP. My question is how do you have success with this tree? Many people say it is...

Jarrell, TX
Prickly cactus in Williamson County, Texas
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, Can you tell me what species of prickly pear cactus we have here in Williamson County? I see two listed as being here in Texas. One is the Plains variety and the other is ...

Jarrell, TX
Best Time for Dividing and Transplanting Native Bunch Grasses in Jarrell, Texas
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, What time of the year is the best for dividing and transplanting native bunch grasses like Gulf muhly, and Miscanthus?