A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Valley Mills, TX
Flowers for Fall in Bosque County from Valley Mills TX
What Wildflowers could we plant in Bosque County area to bloom in the Fall?

Clifton, TX
Native landscaping and wildlife gardening in Clifton, TX
I am moving to Clifton, TX, and I will have an empty lot in the town along with my own home/lot. What kind of soil can I expect? I want to grow a wildflower site to just sit and enjoy and feed the a...

Clifton, TX
Collecting seeds for Texas Bluebell from Clifton TX
How and when should I try and collect seeds from the Texas Bluebell?

McGregor, TX
Esperanza turning brown in McGregor TX
Why are my Esperanza turning brown?

Waco, TX
Why website does not have better variety of flowers
Why don't you have a better variety of flowers? I can't find the ones I have.

Waco, TX
Shumard oak or live oak in Waco TX?
Dear Mr Smarty Plants, I planted 2 small Shumard oaks in my front yard (east side of the house, 8-9 hours of sun per day) 18 months ago. Both had been purchased from a national chain store's garden ...

waco, TX
Killing regrowing shoots of a downed hackberry tree
Hackberry plants won't die. You and others have suggested to cut the suckers or saplings to get rid of them. Over the years I have continued to cut the same saplings and the only thing I have now ar...

Waco, TX
What is a cyme-bearing plant for Waco, TX?
I need a wildflower or drought tolerant perennial example of the inflorescence type 'cyme' to plant in a school garden in Waco, TX.

Waco, TX
Dogs developing allergic skin problems in Waco TX
We have 2 West Highland White terriers..since we moved 2 yrs. ago, they have developed TERRIBLE skin problems at our new home, about 5 miles from our old home, in Waco. What contact plants, shrub...

waco, TX
Eliminating prickly pear
What is best practice for eliminating 100+ acres of dense prickly pear?

Waco, TX
Trimming inland sea oats from Waco TX
Re: Inland Sea Oats and trimming back in early spring "It passes through most of winter a soft brown, but becomes tattered and gray by February, a good time to cut it back to the basal rosette." ...

Waco, TX
Native plants for butterfly garden in Waco, TX
Few weeks ago I sent you a letter but never got an answer back. I would like to have your suggestions of native plants for a butterfly garden (30'x 30') here in Waco. The plants must be (1)drought ...

Waco, TX
Pruning Pigeonberry
Should pigeonberry be pruned back to the ground this time of year or should a few inches of stem be left? This is my first spring with them in the garden and I've not found any reference material tha...

Waco, TX
Problems with a Cercis (Redbud)
Half of my redbud tree is pooped out looking. On two places on the bark are areas where a few layers of bark have pulled back. In these areas there are white growths.

Waco, TX
Pruning Cuphea Plants
The David Verity cuphea (cigar plants) that I planted last spring are now 3-4 feet high. I would like to move them, but before I do they seem to need pruning. All the branches are brown and dry lookin...

Waco, TX
Information on Betonyleaf thoroughwort
I purchased Conoclinium betonicifolium (Betonyleaf thoroughwort) at the spring 2008 LBJ WC plant sale. I've not been able to find much information on the plant in the typical places, including the...

Waco, TX
Looking for the tallest okra stalk in Waco, TX.
I am looking for the tallest okra stalk in Waco,Texas. Back in the 1950s, it was in the Waco paper but I can't find it. My Grandfather's name was Robert W. Goss of Waco, and he had his picture take...

Waco, TX
Information about rainwater collection systems
I am wanting to design and install a rainwater collection system, and would like recommendations on suppliers, how to operate, detailed info on construction, capacity and pumping. Any info you can pro...

Waco, TX
Identification of a flower, perhaps a yarrow
There is a a flower blooming now on the roadside and in fields here in Waco. It really looks like Yarrow, but I don't want to harvest any and make a mistake. Can I send a pic to you guys and see if...

Waco, TX
Question about the Chitalpa tree
A bush w/6" long pencil thin seed pod, leaves 4"x1/2", flower that looks like the flower on the Chitalpa tree. Is there a Chitalpa bush. The one I have I grew from seed from the pod; flat, round ...

Waco, TX
Identifying plant
What plant is usually found growing in low-lying freshwater marshy places with a single, straight-stemmed plant that grows to about one-to-two feet in height. The branches and leaves are sparse with ...