A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Valley Mills, TX
Flowers for Fall in Bosque County from Valley Mills TX
What Wildflowers could we plant in Bosque County area to bloom in the Fall?

Clifton, TX
Collecting seeds for Texas Bluebell from Clifton TX
How and when should I try and collect seeds from the Texas Bluebell?

Clifton, TX
Native landscaping and wildlife gardening in Clifton, TX
I am moving to Clifton, TX, and I will have an empty lot in the town along with my own home/lot. What kind of soil can I expect? I want to grow a wildflower site to just sit and enjoy and feed the a...

McGregor, TX
Esperanza turning brown in McGregor TX
Why are my Esperanza turning brown?

Waco, TX
Fragrant Texas wildflowers from Waco TX
Hi, I'm interested in looking at any Texas Wildflowers which have attractive aromas which I can distill essential oil from. Any ideas? Thanks

Waco, TX
Identification of a flower, perhaps a yarrow
There is a a flower blooming now on the roadside and in fields here in Waco. It really looks like Yarrow, but I don't want to harvest any and make a mistake. Can I send a pic to you guys and see if...

Waco, TX
Why website does not have better variety of flowers
Why don't you have a better variety of flowers? I can't find the ones I have.

waco, TX
Killing regrowing shoots of a downed hackberry tree
Hackberry plants won't die. You and others have suggested to cut the suckers or saplings to get rid of them. Over the years I have continued to cut the same saplings and the only thing I have now ar...

waco, TX
How to get rid of poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans)
Our school grounds are infested with lots of poison ivy. What is best remedy for extensive growth?

Waco, TX
Information about rainwater collection systems
I am wanting to design and install a rainwater collection system, and would like recommendations on suppliers, how to operate, detailed info on construction, capacity and pumping. Any info you can pro...

waco, TX
Eliminating prickly pear
What is best practice for eliminating 100+ acres of dense prickly pear?

Waco, TX
Registered/patented pecan by Foster W. Fort
Hello, we own a historic house museum once owned by the Fort family of Waco, and have learned that Foster W. Fort developed a type of pecan tree and had an orchard somewhere here around Waco (possibly...

Waco, TX
Plant ID at Wildflower Center from Waco TX
I was at the Center last weekend and no one was able to answer these two questions: 1. Where can I buy Silver Ponyfoot groundcover? 2. What is the name of the plant with coral blossoms in front of...

Waco, TX
Problems with a Cercis (Redbud)
Half of my redbud tree is pooped out looking. On two places on the bark are areas where a few layers of bark have pulled back. In these areas there are white growths.

Waco, TX
Shumard oak or live oak in Waco TX?
Dear Mr Smarty Plants, I planted 2 small Shumard oaks in my front yard (east side of the house, 8-9 hours of sun per day) 18 months ago. Both had been purchased from a national chain store's garden ...

Waco, TX
Native perennial winter plants for Waco, TX
I live in the Waco area, and would like to know winter plants that I could use that would come back each year, flowering or otherwise.

Waco, TX
Information on Betonyleaf thoroughwort
I purchased Conoclinium betonicifolium (Betonyleaf thoroughwort) at the spring 2008 LBJ WC plant sale. I've not been able to find much information on the plant in the typical places, including the...

Waco, TX
Looking for the tallest okra stalk in Waco, TX.
I am looking for the tallest okra stalk in Waco,Texas. Back in the 1950s, it was in the Waco paper but I can't find it. My Grandfather's name was Robert W. Goss of Waco, and he had his picture take...

Waco, TX
Searching for a red mulberry tree (Morus rubra) to buy
Want to purchase a native Texas Red Mulberry tree (morus rubra). Can't find one. Can you help? Thanks,

Waco, TX
Best fertilizer for live oak trees in Central Texas
What is the best fertilizer for live oak trees in Central Texas?

Waco, TX
Question about the Chitalpa tree
A bush w/6" long pencil thin seed pod, leaves 4"x1/2", flower that looks like the flower on the Chitalpa tree. Is there a Chitalpa bush. The one I have I grew from seed from the pod; flat, round ...