A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Valley Mills, TX
Flowers for Fall in Bosque County from Valley Mills TX
What Wildflowers could we plant in Bosque County area to bloom in the Fall?

Clifton, TX
Collecting seeds for Texas Bluebell from Clifton TX
How and when should I try and collect seeds from the Texas Bluebell?

Clifton, TX
Native landscaping and wildlife gardening in Clifton, TX
I am moving to Clifton, TX, and I will have an empty lot in the town along with my own home/lot. What kind of soil can I expect? I want to grow a wildflower site to just sit and enjoy and feed the a...

McGregor, TX
Esperanza turning brown in McGregor TX
Why are my Esperanza turning brown?

Waco, TX
Question about the Chitalpa tree
A bush w/6" long pencil thin seed pod, leaves 4"x1/2", flower that looks like the flower on the Chitalpa tree. Is there a Chitalpa bush. The one I have I grew from seed from the pod; flat, round ...

Waco, TX
Trimming inland sea oats from Waco TX
Re: Inland Sea Oats and trimming back in early spring "It passes through most of winter a soft brown, but becomes tattered and gray by February, a good time to cut it back to the basal rosette." ...

waco, TX
How to get rid of poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans)
Our school grounds are infested with lots of poison ivy. What is best remedy for extensive growth?

Waco, TX
Why website does not have better variety of flowers
Why don't you have a better variety of flowers? I can't find the ones I have.

Waco, TX
Pruning Cuphea Plants
The David Verity cuphea (cigar plants) that I planted last spring are now 3-4 feet high. I would like to move them, but before I do they seem to need pruning. All the branches are brown and dry lookin...

Waco, TX
Pruning Pigeonberry
Should pigeonberry be pruned back to the ground this time of year or should a few inches of stem be left? This is my first spring with them in the garden and I've not found any reference material tha...

Waco, TX
Fragrant Texas wildflowers from Waco TX
Hi, I'm interested in looking at any Texas Wildflowers which have attractive aromas which I can distill essential oil from. Any ideas? Thanks

Waco, TX
Shumard oak or live oak in Waco TX?
Dear Mr Smarty Plants, I planted 2 small Shumard oaks in my front yard (east side of the house, 8-9 hours of sun per day) 18 months ago. Both had been purchased from a national chain store's garden ...

waco, TX
Killing regrowing shoots of a downed hackberry tree
Hackberry plants won't die. You and others have suggested to cut the suckers or saplings to get rid of them. Over the years I have continued to cut the same saplings and the only thing I have now ar...

Waco, TX
Native perennial winter plants for Waco, TX
I live in the Waco area, and would like to know winter plants that I could use that would come back each year, flowering or otherwise.

Waco, TX
Shade Tolerant Grasses and Groundcovers for Waco TX
What is the best shade-tolerant grass? What is the best shade-tolerant ground cover?

Waco, TX
Best fertilizer for live oak trees in Central Texas
What is the best fertilizer for live oak trees in Central Texas?

Waco, TX
Identification of a flower, perhaps a yarrow
There is a a flower blooming now on the roadside and in fields here in Waco. It really looks like Yarrow, but I don't want to harvest any and make a mistake. Can I send a pic to you guys and see if...

Waco, TX
Information on Betonyleaf thoroughwort
I purchased Conoclinium betonicifolium (Betonyleaf thoroughwort) at the spring 2008 LBJ WC plant sale. I've not been able to find much information on the plant in the typical places, including the...

Waco, TX
Registered/patented pecan by Foster W. Fort
Hello, we own a historic house museum once owned by the Fort family of Waco, and have learned that Foster W. Fort developed a type of pecan tree and had an orchard somewhere here around Waco (possibly...

Waco, TX
Identifying plant
What plant is usually found growing in low-lying freshwater marshy places with a single, straight-stemmed plant that grows to about one-to-two feet in height. The branches and leaves are sparse with ...

Waco, TX
Dogs developing allergic skin problems in Waco TX
We have 2 West Highland White terriers..since we moved 2 yrs. ago, they have developed TERRIBLE skin problems at our new home, about 5 miles from our old home, in Waco. What contact plants, shrub...