Fort Worth , TX
Native perennials for Ft. Worth TX
Mr. Smarty Pants, I have two large planters around the back side of my saltwater pool where there is no decking. (sloped landscape) 8'long x 3' wide. I need low growing perennial plants that will ...

Fort Worth , TX
Time to sow wildflower seeds in Ft. Worth TX
When do I sow wildflower seeds?

Ft. Worth, TX
Plants for pool area in Fort Worth
We have a new pool in our backyard, and now also quite a bit of bare land to go with it. Looking for native grass suggestions and also shrubs/trees that I can plant around the pool area for privacy an...

Fort Worth, TX
Sources of Scutellaria drummondii
Dear Mr. Smarty Pants, I purchased a purple skullcap, scutellaria drummondii in the Hill Country last year. It has done REALLY well here in Fort Worth and would like more, but cannot locate it anywhe...

Fort Worth, TX
Hello Mr. Smarty Plants! I have a plant that was given to me and told it was spider plant, but I don't believe it is. The plat grows up and has leaves coming out like a spider plant but they are gree...

Fort Worth, TX
Xeriscaping in clay on a slope in Fort Worth
Xeriscaping in clay (Fort Worth) on a slope -- Please offer suggestions and publications. Thanks

Fort Worth, TX
Vines for pergola in Fort Worth
I just bought a pergola for back porch 12 x 10 that faces east so gets full morning sun, looking to plant vines for looks and help with shade. Would obviously like something that complements the pergo...

Fort Worth, TX
Will non-native poisonous oleander grow through non-native invasive bermudagrass in Ft. Worth?
I was wondering if you knew which flowering plants would grow through grass. I have bermuda, have tried raised beds but due to uneven yard with lots of rock it would be too expensive to do properly. ...

Fort Worth, TX
Native shrubs or ground cover for north-facing landscape in Ft. Worth
Need native plant ideas for a landscaping bed against the house facing north. Already has 1 Beautyberry but two others died of root rot last year due to incredibly high water table in our area. Old ...

Fort Worth, TX
Tree resembling live oak, but with thorns
I'm trying to ID a tree in our backyard, most of our trees are Live Oaks and the tree in question has a dark almost black and gray bark that looks just like a Live Oak. The leaves are similar but lig...

Fort Worth, TX
Plant identification of tree with white blossoms in Fort Worth
Live in Fort Worth, TX. Any idea what are trees blooming this week (3/18), with white blossoms and an oval green leaf about the size of a half dollar? The bark looks like an oak.

Fort Worth, TX
Insects on yucca from Ft. Worth TX
I have a plant labeled Yucca Soft Leaf recurvifolia that I planted about 5 years ago,& was beautiful until last summer when it became infested with thousands of fast, tiny, dark insects. I sprayed wit...

Fort Worth, TX
Shrub to hide chain link fence
Mr. Smarty Plants, Please recommend a tall, thick shrub to conceal the 6 foot chain link fence around the perimeter of our property. The fence is located down a hill from our home with western exposur...

Fort Worth, TX
Picture of tree in Gilmer, TX cemetery
HELP . I am looking to find pictures of the beautiful tree before it was struck by lighting. The tree was in the Gilmer, Tx City View Cemetery ?

Fort Worth, TX
Possible reasons for yellow heads for Indian Blanket
I had Indian Blanket flowers that had almost pure yellow heads. Will the seeds of these flowers produce plants that will have yellow flowers?

Fort Worth, TX
I had a strange plant pop up in my yard this year, and I figured maybe you guys could help me out. This plant is spreading along the ground, and the stem is woody right where it is coming out of th...

Fort Worth, TX
Nurseries that Sell Perennial Native Plants in Fort Worth,TX
Where can I locate a nursery or nurseries with the best selection of perennial native plants in Fort Worth?

Fort Worth, TX
Why is Common Horehound missing from NPIN?
Hi there, I am not able to find Marrubium vulgare, i.e. Common or White Horehound, in the Native Plant Database. It grows abundantly on our ranch in Central Texas, and I am attempting to grow i...

Fort Worth, TX
Will a Venus flytrap bite?
Will a venus flytrap bite a person? Taylor

Fort Worth, TX
Are flower petals poisonous?
Is it toxic to eat the petals on a flower? Ashley

Fort Worth, TX
Shrubs for a barrier in Ft. Worth TX
Hello, I'm looking for a natural barrier as an alternative to a fence in my backyard. I see several other questions answered relating to this but I'm looking for something specifically as a nativ...