A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Haltom City, TX
Winter- and drought-resistant plant for North Central Texas
I would like to know is there a good winter and drought resistant flowering bush for my area. I would like something with bigger flowers like azaleas or roses maybe bigger, that will not grow anymore...

Haltom City, TX
Partial shade plants for underneath ash tree in Tarrant County, Texas
I have a BIG Ash Tree in my front yard that blocks out most afternoon sun. I generally get morning and evening sun. I am looking for something to plant around the base of the tree so my yard doesn'...

Haltom City, TX
Native plant list for Haltom City, TX
We're planning a native plant demonstration garden and need help. Can you email me a list of plants that will grow well in North Central Texas. We need to include those that will grow in full sun, sh...

Richland Hills, TX
Native understory plants for shade under live oaks
I have large live oak trees in my front yard. I would like to start North Central Texas native landscaping under them, where no grass will grow. Do you know of some plants that would do well in ful...

North Richland Hills, TX
Shrubs, groundcovers, and grasses for shade in North Central Texas
Updated (2009-10) information about shrubs / ground cover /grasses recommended for North Central Texas - Complete back yard re-landscaping under a lot of trees, shady areas, regular bermuda, St Augus...

North Richland Hills, TX
Soapberry tree problems in North Richland Hills, TX
We have a small grove of soapberry trees. The city recently reconstructed the street and added a side walk which now sets as close at 1 foot from the nearest tree. Everything seemed fine until they ...

North Richland Hills, TX
Looking for a shrub to provide shade to the west side of a home in Ft. Worth, TX
We are on a corner lot and are looking for a tall tree or shrub to block the west side of our house. There is only a 5 foot area space between the sidewalk and side driveway where we want to plant th...

Watauga, TX
Shade tolerant groundcover plants for Tarrant County, Texas
I live in far NE Tarrant County (Ft Worth), TX and need a groundcover that can tolerate complete shade and poor, rocky, clay soil. I need mostly for erosion control, and needs to be relatively low

Ft Worth, TX
Plant for full sun behind waterfall
I have a 24 inch waterfall around my pool. I need to plant something behind it. I have full sun and hot Texas weather. I will be watering everyday, so what do you think would grow well in this area?

Ft Worth, TX
Transplanting hackberry trees in Texas
I live N of Ft Worth,Tx is there a trick to digging up & transplanting hackberry trees?

Ft Worth, TX
Making a raised garden bed in Texas
I just bought a house in Ft Worth Texas and the soil is undisturbed red clay. I was told I probably would need to build a raised bed to make a 25 ft by 4-6 ft butterfly/humming bird/bee native flower ...

Ft. Worth, TX
Dwarf Yaupon Holly Cultivar Heights
What is the largest of the dwarf yaupons?

Ft Worth, TX
Tree roots under concrete from Ft. Worth TX
We bought a house that has 2 trees (I believe ornamental pear trees) within a concrete patio. I found info that said basically, remove the concrete. We can't do that now (although I have encouraged...

Ft Worth, TX
Evergreen privacy screen
We are looking for a good plant(s) that would provide a privacy screen by our fence. We were looking at clumping bamboo (maybe black) because it grows quickly and it not too thick. The new plants woul...

N. Richland Hills, TX
Small drought-resistant shrub for northeast Texas
I am replacing the formal hedge of hollies along the front of my house and was planning to use mostly Inidan Hawthornes, but now I'm reading that they are very prone to disease, are there any low gro...

Fort Worth, TX
Nurseries that Sell Perennial Native Plants in Fort Worth,TX
Where can I locate a nursery or nurseries with the best selection of perennial native plants in Fort Worth?

Fort Worth, TX
Grapevine for pot in Ft. Worth
Can I plant a grapevine in a large clay pot in Fort Worth, Texas?

Fort Worth, TX
Bluebonnets for wedding centerpieces in Ft. Worth
I am looking to purchase 25 live bluebonnet plants for my wedding centerpieces. I need them by May 15, 2009. Do you sell them?

Fort Worth, TX
Moving non-native globe willow in Ft. Worth TX
I planted a globe willow in a small area in front of my house and it is probably going to need more space. Can I replant it in a more open area without killing it? It is about 8-9 ft tall, 2-3 ft of ...

Fort Worth, TX
White spotting on prickly pear cactus
Hello- I have large prickly pear cacti and just noticed large white spotting on some of the leaves. I also see some black bugs and apparently they are the problem.They are about 1/4" long. How can I ...

Fort Worth, TX
Shrub to hide chain link fence
Mr. Smarty Plants, Please recommend a tall, thick shrub to conceal the 6 foot chain link fence around the perimeter of our property. The fence is located down a hill from our home with western exposur...