A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

McDade, TX
Plants referred to as Hummingbird plants
We have a a plant that is sometimes called a Hummingbird Plant, sometimes a Firecracker plant. I have also seen the name lonicera sempervirens. Are they poisonous? This is a plant, not a vine. T...

McDade, TX
Bacterial spot in peach tree in McDade TX
I have a Red Globe peach tree which was planted in February 2008. The local agricultural extension agent identified the tree as having Bacterial Spot in November 2008. They recommended copper hydrox...

Paige/Bastrop, TX
Ground cover for burned acreage in Bastrop, Texas
The fire took 2/3 of the trees on my half acre in Bastrop County. It was mostly wild. What do I plant for ground cover? Do I plant native grass seed in fall? I want to keep it native as possible. ...

Paige, TX
Seeds for native Sandyland Bluebonnet
I live in Bastrop County Texas and would like to plant our native Sandyland Bluebonnet, Lupinus subcarnosus. I have checked most of the native plant supply firms, but can't find this species (except...

Paige, TX
Grasses for shady acreage in Paige, TX
My family recently bought property in Paige, TX. We thinned out the dense vegetation leaving pines and some oak and juniper. The ground is now bare sand throughout much of the property, except for th...

Paige, TX
Interested in planting wildflowers in the area of Paige, TX.

Rlgin, TX
Plant ID from Rigin TX
I have noticed a low growing plant with slick geranium shaped leaves. Today (August 17) I found a tiny- about half inch five sided pod on it. Each side is shaped like a heart! Have not noticed any f...

Elgin, TX
Weeping live oak and beetles in Elgin TX
I have a live oak that I just noticed is weeping from a small spot about 3' above ground, foamy and smells like beer, several beetle species attracted. Also some very small insects in the foamy area.

Elgin, TX
Will a barrier hedge of Agarita cause any problems for horses and cattle?
Will planting a hedge of Agarita (Mahonia trifoliolata) at the fence line in my blackland prairie pasture cause any problems for my horses and cattle. I am trying to create a sound and sight barrier ...

Elgin, TX
Best sod for a yard in Elgin, TX?
First time home buyer and the back yard will need to be sodded. What is an honest price range for this service for 213 sq.yds.? The site is in blackland prairie soil. What type grass is best suited ...

Elgin, TX
Sources for cedar and Texas sedge seeds in Central Texas
Where can I buy cedar and Texas sedge seeds in the central Texas area? What will be the cost? I have found a few nurseries who sell 4 inch pots, but that is very costly for the size of area I want to ...

Elgin, TX
Preventing Soil Erosion in Elgin, Texas
I live in Elgin,TX and our property is basically a slope with dense oak and cedar trees on the back of the property. The soil is sandy loam. What type of native plants or grasses can I plant to stop...

Elgin, TX
Mutation in bluebonnets from Elgin TX
What causes bluebonnets to mutate..grow as if three or four are combined into one flower on one very flat, wide stem. I have these in my yard; they are beautiful! I have taken several pictures.

Elgin, TX
Native grasses for organic farm in Elgin TX
Hi there, I am working to restore native grasses on our certified organic farm in Elgin, TX. We raise eggs, grass fed beef, and grass fed lamb. I am having a terrible time finding organic pastur...

Elgin, TX
Certified organic native grass seeds for Texas
Thanks for your previous answer to my pasture grass seed question. We know about Native American Seed but they don't sell certified organic seeds. We're not sure whether we'll be able to find cer...

Elgin, TX
Why are the eastern red cedars in Bastrop/Travis County turning brown?
I live on the Bastrop/Travis county, TX line and have many eastern red cedars on my property. About 10 of them are dying and it has happened quickly with the onset of the warmer weather. I noticed d...

Elgin, TX
Looking for Yucca filamentosa, Adams Needle, to purchase
Where can I purchase Adam's Needle in Austin or Travis County

Elgin, TX
Problems with non-native yellow lantana from Elgin TX
Why do my yellow lantana buds turn brown and do not open fully? The sprinkler system does not spray onto the lantana.

Elgin, TX
Giant black and yellow wasp
I live in Elgin, Bastrop County. This Aug/Sept. 2008 has revealed a huge black and yellow striped wasp. What is this creature and where does he come from? I'm a native Texan (Austin County) and hav...

Elgin, TX
Sedges and ornamentals for shade in Bastrop County
I bought a home in Elgin, TX that was owned by an elderly woman. Most of the lawn is shaded by elm or pecan trees. In the sunny areas, i got native wildflowers to grow like lantana and coneflower,...

Elgin, TX
Pecan tree transplant in Elgin, TX
Hello, Mr. Smarty Plants, I have a question about how to encourage a very young pecan sapling to grow, and whether I should use mulch to do so. I live in Elgin (Bastrop County) and the soil is extr...