Dalworthington Gardens, TX
Management practices to eradicate Johnson grass
Please suggest some eradication methods for Johnson grass. It is established in a field that I want to encourage native wildflowers/plants such as goldenrod, prairie coneflower, blue eyed grass, milkw...

Westlake Hills, TX
How rare is the Devil's Cigar Fungus (Chorioactis geaster)?
I have found a fungus called devil's cigar in the woods behind my house in Westlake Hills Texas. I read that it is rare. Is it considered rare even to Central Texas? If so, do I need to let someone k...

Arlington , TX
Leaves on yaupon holly turning brown/black
Arlington TX Yaupon Holly has leaves on stems closer to the bottom of the plant and moving up that are turning brown/black. Is this a disease, over/under watering? There is black gummy soil, but it ha...

Arlington, TX
Controlling Cochineal Insects on Cholla Cactus
We have cochineal insects on a cholla cactus. Will they kill the plant? What should we do to get rid of them if water spraying them won't work?

Arlington, TX
Sticky white substance from Arizona Ash tree in Arlington TX
Our Arizona Ash Tree is producing a white substance that floats down from the tree almost like a snowflake the size of a bb. You cannot see it on the tree/leaves. When it lands on the car, it takes th...

Arlington, TX
Looking for native plants for a rain garden in Arlington, TX.
I am looking for native Texas plants that would do well in rain gardens. Do you have any suggestions?

Arlington, TX
What does spp. stand for in Paspalum spp? From Arlington, TX.
What does the spp stand for when talking about Paspalum spp?

arlington, TX
Las Vegas lawn grass for Dallas
Dear Smarty Plants, Every time we go to Las Vegas I admire the beautiful grass in the lawns of most of the strip casinos. It looks like a fescue but it is just as beautiful on the hottest summer day...

Arlington, TX
Large shrub for screen in shade
I am trying to find some large shrubs that will thrive in shade in the north Texas climate. This area will receive very little light during the day but need to grow quite large to hide a fence and cr...

Arlington, TX
Need Fast-Growing Screening Shrub for Arlington, TX
What fast growing shrub/tree could be planted along side a fence to provide additional privacy? We have a pool in our backyard and the view behind our house is less than enjoyable. We would like to ...

Arlington, TX
Companion planting with heartleaf skullcap from Arlington TX
What can I plant with heart-leaf skullcap when it goes dormant in the summer?

Arlington, TX
Native ground covers for rocky, shady slope in Arlington, TX
I need a good native ground cover for a completely shaded and rocky 30 degree slope with red sandy soil and southern exposure. Will anything grow in these conditions?

Arlington, TX
Is there a recommended list for Texas Eastern Cross Timbers?

Arlington, TX
Pollinator to Arkansas yucca from Arlington TX
Thank you Barbara for your answer. However, my Arkansas yuccas bloom every year, but do not set seed. I am asking for the name of the moth that pollinates them, or other native plants that serve as ...

Arlington, TX
Pollinating moth of Arkansas Yucca from Arlington TX
What is the pollinating moth of the Arkansas yucca. I have Desert willows which is the larval host for white-winged moth, but the yuccas are still not seeding. What other larval hosts plants can I p...

Arlington, TX
Oak Bark Loss in Arlington, TX
I have multiple oak trees in my yard (in north texas) that have begun to lose their bark in small chunks. I'm in the middle of the city so their are no deer and yes it's been a dry 2 years but this...

Arlington, TX
How to make a lawn into a prairie in Arlington, Texas
I am removing lawn grasses in order to start a native prairie meadow. After grass removal, I'll put down 1/2" of compost. I will broadcast wildflower seeds on the compost. If I mulch after broadcas...

Arlington, TX
Sales of horseherb seeds in Arlington, TX area
Where can I purchase horseherb seeds in Arlington tx.or Dallas Ft.Worth area

Arlington, TX
There's a wildflower I can't identify. I have a picture of it and have searched many sites and can't seem to find it. Is there a way I can submit the pic to you to identify?

Arlington, TX
More on bluebonnets
When can I harvest my Bluebonnets?

Arlington, TX
Container plants for Arlington TX
Mr. Smarty Plants, I just moved to Arlington, TX. I am trying to create a container garden on my apartment balcony. What flowers, herbs, vegetables, and fruit combinations can I put together that wil...