A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Cameron, TX
Removal of Bermuda grass in lawn
Help! I am looking for a way to get rid of coastal bermuda grass in my yard, short of all out toxic chemical warfare. Is there any thing that can be used other than herbicides. Thanks.

Cameron, TX
Problems with post oaks in Milam Co., TX
I have an old ranch in Milam County, Texas on the Brazos River with several large, old Post Oaks. Recently a few of these grand old trees have lost large branches and two have died. One has died, poss...

Cameron, TX
Transplanting crabapple tree from root sprouts
I have a Crabapple tree that is sending up sapling shoots. Can these be dug up and planted?

Gause, TX
Is Texas ragwort (Senecio ampullaceus) toxic to livestock?
Mr. Smarty Plants, I have a question related to Texas Ragwort (Senecio ampullaceus): I am concerned about toxicity to livestock as well as interested in natural control methods. I was recentl...

Thorndale, TX
Locating yellow crossvine
I am attempting to find a yellow crossvine. I am not having much luck. I thought I saw some growing in the Taylor area, but I cannot locate it now. In my memory, the flowers had brown dots on them.

Thorndale, TX
Identification of two Solanum species in Thorndale, Texas
Hi. NE of Austin in the Taylor/Rockdale area with sandy loam I have two kinds of nightshade. One has the deep rhizomes and stickers and is relatively small and weedy. The other, very similar in app...

Thorndale, TX
Identification of thorny shrub with blue berries
Thorny shrub with blue berries. In our acid sandy loam we have many thorn bushes. This one has small leaves like a wild pomegranate, long thorns. berries of the size and color of blueberries and is ...

Lott, TX
Live oak trees and possible drought stress in Lott, TX.
One of our Live Oak trees is losing leaves in only a portion of it. I have researched Oak Wilt and I am not sure that is what it has. We have trees that are hundreds of years old and was wondering i...

Lott, TX
Problems with non-native Indian hawthorns in Lott TX
My Indian Hawthornes have developed brown leaves. I planted them about four years ago and until now they have done very well. I bought some 3 in 1 garden spray for fungus, but I don't know if that ...

Bartlett, TX
Does Mexican plum require more than one plant for successful pollination?
Re: Mexican plums.. Do I need to plant more than 1 to ensure proper pollination? I have always been told that commercial plums need at least 2 to pollinate properly for consistent plum production. A...

Temple, TX
Secretions of fluid from crepe myrtles
On my crepe myrtle tree I have dozens of 1/2-inch-long narrow bugs that seem to secrete tiny drops of fluid. They appear on the branches of the tree. Are these harmful to the tree? Do I need to do ...

Temple, TX
Nativity of Lantana camara and Strelitzia reginae
I was wondering why Lantana Camara is not in the Wildflower's database. Multiple sources say it is native to the U.S. and North America. I was also wondering if Strelitzia reginae (Bird-of-Paradise...

Temple, TX
Texas wildflowers that have fragrance from Temple TX
Do you have a list of Texas wildflowers that put out a fragrance?

Temple, TX
Removing insects from seeds
I collect and plant native seed for Blackland Prairie restoration. Have recently collected a good bit of purple prairie clover. Now small beetles are hatching out of it in pretty good numbers. What ...

Temple, TX
Annual for poor drainage area in Temple TX
What annual would you recommend for a bed with poor drainage for summer color ?

Temple, TX
Transplanting Silverado Sage from Temple TX
Hello, I've got some mature Silverado Sage. Can they be successfully transplanted or do I need to buy new plants for the next residence? I have them planted in a raised bed. I realize that IF it is ...

Temple, TX
Research on decline of Quercus hinckleyi
I am doing a research project on the Hinckley's Oak (Quercus hinckleyi) and am in need of statistical data regarding the decline of this plant. I have been unable to find any data in this area. Any s...

Temple, TX
Identification of landscape plants at malls in Waco and Temple
Dear Mr. Smarty, I am trying to identify a plant used in landscaping for several shopping centers within the Waco-Temple areas. It looks to be large mounding grass, but flowers June-July with shaft...

Temple, TX
Problems with Strawberry Hedgehog cactus from Temple TX
I had purchased a Strawberry hedgehog Cactus (echinocereus stramineus) a few years ago from the Wildflower Center's annual plant sale and planted it then. It has now started to brown from bottom to t...

Temple, TX
Endangered/threatened status for Hexalectris spicata in Texas
I was wondering about the status of Crested Coralroot Orchid (Hexalectris spicata) in Texas. Over the years I have located several clumps of them growing on a ranch in southern Bell county. The mos...

Temple, TX
transplanting Maidenhair Fern (Adiantum capillus-veneris)
Behind our house is a huge grotto with a spring flowing through it that runs into a creek. Because of the constant flow of water, there are many of the Maidenhair Ferns (Adiantum capillus-veneris). I ...