A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Marlin, TX
Best planting time for wildflower seeds in Texas
My husband bought a large amount of wildflower seeds at the Ladybird Johnson's Wildflower Center in Austin, Texas several months ago, but neglected to ask when to plant them. Some were Bluebonnets a...

Marlin, TX
Recently planted Chinquapin Oak with browning leaves in Marlin, TX.
We planted a Chinquapin Oak this in March 2012. As of July 21, 2012, the tips of the leaves on the lower branches are turning brown. We cannot see any insects. There does not appear to be any fungu...

Chilton , TX
Identification of trees in Georgetown and Austin area from Chilton TX
I recently visited Georgetown,Texas and the Austin, Texas area. There were many multi-trunk trees in yards and in landscaping at the hotel we stayed at. What kind of trees are these multi-trunk tr...

Lott, TX
Problems with non-native Indian hawthorns in Lott TX
My Indian Hawthornes have developed brown leaves. I planted them about four years ago and until now they have done very well. I bought some 3 in 1 garden spray for fungus, but I don't know if that ...

Lott, TX
Live oak trees and possible drought stress in Lott, TX.
One of our Live Oak trees is losing leaves in only a portion of it. I have researched Oak Wilt and I am not sure that is what it has. We have trees that are hundreds of years old and was wondering i...

Hewitt, TX
When is the appropriate time to prune pecan trees in Hewitt?
Labor Day Weekend my husband decided to trim all the low branches on a big pecan tree in our back yard which I thought should had been done at the first of the year, our temprature is in the mid 90's...

Hewitt, TX
Low evergreen drought-resistant shrubs for area in partial shade
I promised my mom to help her with some new plants for her house, so here goes. She lives near Waco on Blackland clay soil. The problem area is right in front of the house. It only receives a few hour...

Hewitt, TX
Elimination of nutgrass
Nutgrass has taken over my vegetable and perennial garden to the point that I can not see my plants or granite sand paths. The two major areas are about 600 square feet in total. What can I do to co...

Bruceville, TX
Native trees to replace dying Arizona ash (Fraxinus velutina)
I have two 25-30 year old Arizona Ash trees in my front yard, which I think are dying. They are the only shade my house gets, and I am dreading losing them. (They are massive and beautiful) What are m...

Waco, TX
Searching for a red mulberry tree (Morus rubra) to buy
Want to purchase a native Texas Red Mulberry tree (morus rubra). Can't find one. Can you help? Thanks,

Waco, TX
Native plants for butterfly garden in Waco, TX
Few weeks ago I sent you a letter but never got an answer back. I would like to have your suggestions of native plants for a butterfly garden (30'x 30') here in Waco. The plants must be (1)drought ...

Waco, TX
Question about the Chitalpa tree
A bush w/6" long pencil thin seed pod, leaves 4"x1/2", flower that looks like the flower on the Chitalpa tree. Is there a Chitalpa bush. The one I have I grew from seed from the pod; flat, round ...

Waco, TX
Identifying plant
What plant is usually found growing in low-lying freshwater marshy places with a single, straight-stemmed plant that grows to about one-to-two feet in height. The branches and leaves are sparse with ...

Waco, TX
Identification of a flower, perhaps a yarrow
There is a a flower blooming now on the roadside and in fields here in Waco. It really looks like Yarrow, but I don't want to harvest any and make a mistake. Can I send a pic to you guys and see if...

Waco, TX
Looking for the tallest okra stalk in Waco, TX.
I am looking for the tallest okra stalk in Waco,Texas. Back in the 1950s, it was in the Waco paper but I can't find it. My Grandfather's name was Robert W. Goss of Waco, and he had his picture take...

Waco, TX
Native perennial winter plants for Waco, TX
I live in the Waco area, and would like to know winter plants that I could use that would come back each year, flowering or otherwise.

Waco, TX
Small evergreen shrubs for part shade in Texas
Mr. Smarty Pants, I'm, for some reason, at odds with myself about a shrub decision. I have need about 8 ft of hedge-like evergreen shrub(s) that I can maintain around 4ft to go under a window. It...

Waco, TX
Why website does not have better variety of flowers
Why don't you have a better variety of flowers? I can't find the ones I have.

Waco, TX
Trimming inland sea oats from Waco TX
Re: Inland Sea Oats and trimming back in early spring "It passes through most of winter a soft brown, but becomes tattered and gray by February, a good time to cut it back to the basal rosette." ...

waco, TX
Killing regrowing shoots of a downed hackberry tree
Hackberry plants won't die. You and others have suggested to cut the suckers or saplings to get rid of them. Over the years I have continued to cut the same saplings and the only thing I have now ar...

Waco, TX
Shumard oak or live oak in Waco TX?
Dear Mr Smarty Plants, I planted 2 small Shumard oaks in my front yard (east side of the house, 8-9 hours of sun per day) 18 months ago. Both had been purchased from a national chain store's garden ...