A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Dallas, TX
Wildflower seed for west central Texas acreage
We have a ranch in central Texas between Brownwood and Brady and want to plant wildflowers that will grow in that area. We'd like to cover acreage and need information on what mix would suit our are...

DALLAS , TX
I need a tall tree with kind roots for a narrow space
We have a space in the yard where a building is within 3 to 6 feet of where we would like a tall tree. What tree could achieve two stories in height, while not messing with the foundation of the bu...

Dallas , TX
Fourth-grade research on Texas Wildflowers from Dallas, TX
Mr. Smarty Plants, Hello, I am a fourth grade teacher and my students are about to begin a project on Texas Wildflowers. Some of the information they will require is the scientific name of the plant...

Dallas, TX
Wildflower mix for East Texas
Hello! My boss is interested in planting a wild flower mix along his county road and the road that leads to his house. They live in between Athens and Palestine and have sandy loam soil .. which flowe...

Dallas, TX
Identification of pines on I35 between Dallas and Denton
I frequently drive I-35E from Dallas up to Denton and I've often wondered if the pine trees that I see near the road and in the surrounding areas, especially between Lewisville and Denton, have been ...

Dallas, TX
Yellow lupine-like flowers
I recently visited Hodges Gardens near Many, LA. There was a large plant, 2' tall with spikey yellow lupine-like flowers. Plant had hairy leaves and a big spread--I'm sure it is a wild perennial. ...

Dallas, TX
Aesculus glabra var. arguta
I am building a trail for the city of Dallas and need 10-5 gal. Texas Buckeye Trees(Aesculus glabra var. arguta). I can not find any in north Texas or the Austin area. Can you help?

Dallas, TX
Native plant town ordinances in New Mexico/Chihuahuan Desert
I'm interested in city/town landscape ordinances in the New Mexico/Chihuahuan Desert area. What towns do you think do a good job using native plants?

Dallas, TX
Planting Texas Mountain Laurel to transplant to Dallas
My daughter would like to incorporate a tree planting ceremony in her wedding in Texas. The seedling would be planted in a pot for a few years and later transplanted in a yard when they buy a home. Wo...

Dallas, TX
Evergreen native replacement for liriope
What is a good native replacement for Liriope that is evergreen?

Dallas, TX
Identification of plant with white spike blooms and red berries
I just came back from a hike in Dallas and found large areas where a lanceolate- to acuminate- leafed herb was blooming spikes of white, 4 petal flowers that quickly turn to bright red berries, someti...

Dallas, TX
Problems with non-native Chocolate Mimosa from Dallas
I have a Chocolate Mimosa I planted last spring. It came back strong this spring but suddenly the leafs have started turning brown and falling off, it gets watered every morning and I don't have a c...

Dallas, TX
Lawn care?
I had red yucca planted in my garden last May. They were trimmed back by my lawn care people last winter and currently seem to be slowly growing back. However, the red flower stalk is not growing ba...

Dallas, TX
Propagation of trumpet vines from Dallas
Can you tell me about trumpet vines, can they be rooted in water? I heard they reseed at the end of their growing season.

Dallas, TX
Pruning time for Smoke Tree (Cotinus obovatus)
Gentlemen: I have a Texas Smoke Tree (Cotinus obovatus). It's doing very well & I wish to prune it before its leaves come out. I understand there are a few trees you don't prune, among them birch. I...

Dallas, TX
Is Nothoscordum bivalve (crow poison, false garlic) really poison
Your Native Plants Database notes that False Garlic (aka, Crow Poison), Nothoscordum bivalve, is poisonous. Many other sites also state this, but I have been unable to find a reference giving specifi...

Dallas, TX
Privacy hedge for Dallas area
We live in the Park Cities area of Dallas, and our neighbors are right on top of us. Our lot is small, but I'm looking for a privacy hedge or small tree to plant along the side of the fence. It needs...

Dallas, TX
Propagating sundrop plants in Dallas
How do I propagate sundrop plants?

Dallas, TX
Is Phlox divaricata evergreen?
Is Phlox divaricata evergreen?

Dallas, TX
Wildflower garden with Castilleja indivisa (Indian paintbrush)
I want to start a wildflower garden in my front/backyard. Specifically, I would like to include the indian paintbrush. What is the best way to go about this? Straight in the ground, containers, etc...

Dallas, TX
Need plants for full sun in Dallas Texas.
What plants are best to use for full sun in Dallas Texas?