Dallas , TX
Fourth-grade research on Texas Wildflowers from Dallas, TX
Mr. Smarty Plants, Hello, I am a fourth grade teacher and my students are about to begin a project on Texas Wildflowers. Some of the information they will require is the scientific name of the plant...

Dallas, TX
Wildflower seed for west central Texas acreage
We have a ranch in central Texas between Brownwood and Brady and want to plant wildflowers that will grow in that area. We'd like to cover acreage and need information on what mix would suit our are...

DALLAS , TX
I need a tall tree with kind roots for a narrow space
We have a space in the yard where a building is within 3 to 6 feet of where we would like a tall tree. What tree could achieve two stories in height, while not messing with the foundation of the bu...

Dallas, TX
Starting program for growing wildflowers on highways in Dallas
How can I start a planting program to grow wildflowers along the interstate and highways where I live?

Dallas, TX
Greywater effect on plants from Dallas
How does gray water affect plants?

Dallas, TX
Ornamental grasses under desert willows from Dallas, TX
I am planning on planting 3 desert willows in full sun, below the power lines at the back of my back yard in the White Rock Lake area of Dallas. I would like to plant some ornamental grasses in the be...

Dallas, TX
Predictin bloom time for Indian Blankets (Gaillardia pulchella)
Is there any way to predict when the Indian Blankets will bloom this year? I live in Dallas, and last year they were in peak bloom at Twelve Hills Nature Center (also in Dallas) around the 21st of Ma...

Dallas, TX
Getting started in gardening
Does the center publish any or several planting guides to help gardeners get started? I find it is overwhelming understanding where to start. I have some lake property in East Texas close to Athen...

Dallas, TX
Source for Desert Willow from Dallas
I'm looking for a source for chilopsis linearis. I live in Dallas, TX. None of the specialty nurseries in Dallas seem to be able to source it. Is there any local source? Is there any source withi...

Dallas, TX
Need suggestion for a replacement tree in Dallas, TX.
We are going to have a 25' tall tree removed and ground out because every year squirrels chew the branches and make huge piles on the deck and into the pool. This continues for a good month 1.5. Hen...

Dallas, TX
Starting wild plant seeds indoors from Dallas TX
Is it possible to start some Phlox drummondii or other native wild flower from seed indoors, and then transplant to my garden? If so, can you suggest some?

Dallas, TX
Planting wildflowers on roadsides in Dallas
Am interested in leading Y Princess group in community effort to plant wildflowers along roads in Dallas area. Do you have any advice on how to approach the problem or sources for the seeds?

Dallas, TX
Seeding wildflowers in Dallas
What is the best way to establish seed for wildflowers in Dallas, TX? The area does get some irrigation from rotors. Would hydromulch be the most effective option?

Dallas, TX
Need suggestions for shrubs for for screening along a 70 ft fence in Dallas, TX.
Hi, My new home backyard is right adjacent to an intersection of reasonably busy roads. The other side of one of these roads is commercial area. From your website, I understand that Wax Myrtle is bes...

Dallas, TX
Native evergreen shrub for Dallas
Mr. Smarty Plants, I live in Dallas and I am trying to look for a native evergreen shrub that blooms and works well in full to partial sun. I thought about "lantana" and/or a "firecracker", but...

Dallas, TX
Listings of the native plants in Texas
What are the native plants in the state of Texas?

Dallas, TX
Aesculus glabra var. arguta
I am building a trail for the city of Dallas and need 10-5 gal. Texas Buckeye Trees(Aesculus glabra var. arguta). I can not find any in north Texas or the Austin area. Can you help?

Dallas, TX
Need plants for full sun in Dallas Texas.
What plants are best to use for full sun in Dallas Texas?

Dallas, TX
Yellow lupine-like flowers
I recently visited Hodges Gardens near Many, LA. There was a large plant, 2' tall with spikey yellow lupine-like flowers. Plant had hairy leaves and a big spread--I'm sure it is a wild perennial. ...

Dallas, TX
Lawn care?
I had red yucca planted in my garden last May. They were trimmed back by my lawn care people last winter and currently seem to be slowly growing back. However, the red flower stalk is not growing ba...

Dallas, TX
Identification of pines on I35 between Dallas and Denton
I frequently drive I-35E from Dallas up to Denton and I've often wondered if the pine trees that I see near the road and in the surrounding areas, especially between Lewisville and Denton, have been ...