Cushing, OK
Non-blooming wisteria in Oklahoma
I have a wisteria bush that doesn't bloom. It's two years old. What should I do?

Stillwater, OK
Food for deer and turkey in Oklahoma
We recently moved to NE Oklahoma from Texas and have 7 acres, a lot of wild turkeys and wild deer. About 2-3 acres are open, with sun and partial to lots of shade as the rest is heavily wooded. What ...

Stillwater, OK
Oak bark problems from Stillwater OK
In my clients large oak tree there is bark stripped from the limbs in small pieces. No piece is larger than 1 inch by 1 inch and occurs on limbs high in the canopy. It does not look like squirrel doin...

Sapulpa, OK
Native alternative for Japanese Red Maple in Oklahoma
Mr. Smarty Plants, I am looking for a native alternative to a Japanese Red Maple. I would like a small tree that I can put in my front garden that will not pose a security risk my being overgrown and ...

Guthrie, OK
Groundcover for part shade/shade in Oklahoma.
I am looking for perennial ground covers for shade to part shade under red oaks in central Oklahoma. Soil condition is usually dry. Can you recommend some natives in addition to creeper for xeriscape?...

Fairfax, OK
What are the green round growths on the edges of my oak leaves in Fairfax, OK
round growths on the edge of oak leaves. ranging in size from a pearl to a lime. ranging in color from pale green to lime green. hollow, small ones appear to contain one small gnat sized seed. the la...

tulsa, OK
How to Control White Fungus on Prickly Pear Cactus?
Is there any kind of spray for our prickly pear that will help with the white fungus that has appeared on it?

Tulsa, OK
Hollies not retaining leaves in Tulsa
I have Little Red Hollies that have lost their leaves, some areas being bald. They are also not full - you can see through them. These were planted in this condition Spring of '08 and have been wat...

Tulsa, OK
Looking for a redbud sized tree to plant in Tulsa OK.
I am looking for a native tree about the size of a redbud to place in my prairie bed in Tulsa Oklahoma, wildlife friendly trees preferred, thanks!

Tulsa, OK
Plants for freestanding water in Oklahoma
I have an overflowing gutter and the ground below becomes a muddy hole. I'd like to put a basin or pot in/or above the ground with a rain chain. Are there any plants--shrubs or otherwise that flouris...

Tulsa, OK
Changing bloom color from Tulsa OK
How do you change the bloom color?

Tulsa, OK
Erosion control in lawn in Tulsa, Oklahoma
Hello Mr. Smarty Plants! I have an erosion control question. I have a growing problem with erosion on one side of my house. The soil from the side of my house slopes down about 8" in about 3 feet to ...

TULSA, OK
Hours of darkness for non-native poinsettia to bloom
I have a poinsettia from last Christmas still alive. I was told to get it so many hours of darkness. Do you know how many hours? When would be the best time to start displaying the plant again?

Tulsa, OK
Native plants for southwest exposure in Tulsa OK
I want to plant something in a bed on the South side of my house with some Western exposure. The space is in a bed that would share space with a Red Tip Photinia (next to the house)& liriope( on the ...

Shawnee, OK
Is it possible to eat one nightshade berry and live?
Can I eat one nightshade berry and live? I am 18.

Edmond, OK
Poisonous Trees
Are redbuds and catalpa trees poisonous?

Edmond, OK
Weeds in Buffalograss from Edmond OK
We have a patch of buffalograss surrounded by patio/flower garden/vegetable garden. We like B-grass, but are getting a lot of weeds despite preemergents, and some bermuda had appeared. Are there h...

Edmond, OK
Transplanting redbud from field in Edmond, OK
I want to transplant a small redbud from a field to my yard. The trunk diam is about 1.5" and the tree is about 4' tall. What is the best way to do this? Should I plant it in a pot first?

Bixby, OK
Survival of yucca plant mowed down in Oklahoma
I have a yucca plant that came from a very old plant of my late father, and had transplanted it 6 years ago and it came back every year and bloomed. This morning I went outside and noticed my husband...

Bixby, OK
Problems with a Sherman (Shumard?) Oak from Bixby OK
We have done extensive research on oak fungi/diseases/pests could be affecting our Sherman Oak tree but we are stumped. The leaves are falling off and have some sort of moldy bunch within the leaf it...

Midwest City, OK
Problems with Crape Myrtles in Oklahoma.
I planted Crape Myrtles,Catawba, that are about 4 feet high. I planted them last October. They all had new leaves on them a week ago. All of the leaves are now brown and shriveled up. There is a t...