A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Ellinger, TX
Flowers for sandy loam and sun in Fayette Co., Texas
Hi I am looking to know what the best flowers are to plant in sandy loam and no shade?

LaGrange, TX
Need help fighting grass burs in La Grange, TX.
I have 4 acres of wildflowers planted in my front yard. Unfortunately, grassburs have crept in & I need to control them with a pre-emergent. Will this keep the wildflowers from blooming? Also, would l...

New Ulm, TX
Plants for slopes in South Texas
Can you provide a list of plants for use on slopes in S. Texas?

Schulenburg, TX
Native wildflowers attracting bees in Schulenberg TX
What native wildflowers are honey bees attracted to?

Round Top, TX
Source for purchase of Texas ash tree in Round Rock, TX
Where can I purchase a Texas Ash (Fraxinus texenis)?

Alleyton, TX
Propagation of quincula lobata from Alleyton TX
Quincula lobata..how to propagate and when?

Plum, TX
Black Sooty Mold on Bay Tree
I have a large bay tree and all the leaves are covered with a black mold-like substance on the top part of the leaf. Under each leaf are some black/brown spots. I have washed the leaves with soap and ...

Carmine, TX
Care for heritage roses
Dear Mr. SmartyPlants, I took some cuttings from an antique rose my grandmother had.I had good luck , had some of them grow for me. Some of them have blooms and others are long and lanky stems but n...

Ledbetter, TX
Spreading bluebonnets in pasture from Ledbetter TX
I've found a small patch of bluebonnets in my back pasture in Ledbetter, tx. What is the best method of encouraging their spread across the pasture? I've heard that one can pull up the plants and ...

Catspring, TX
Conditions for growing Prunus mexicana
Will a native Wild Plum do well in the Cat Spring area west of Houston. The soil is quite sandy. I was told that the plum trees attract deer.

catspring, TX
More on bluebonnets
Where can I find seeds for maroon bluebonnets? I understand that Texas A&M has developed cultivars for this plant in as many as four colors. I haven't been able to find a source for them.

catspring, TX
More on bluebonnets
There are several different species of bluebonnets that grow in Texas. Which one is the official state flower?

Cat Spring, TX
Can non-native star jasmine attract snakes?
I have star jasmine climbing up my house. Can it attract snakes?

Burton, TX
Can you produce hay and bluebonnets on the same field?
Hi - We have a field that produces wild bluebonnets every spring. Is it possible to grow and bail hay in this field and not kill off our bluebonnets? Thank you.

Burton, TX
Vine with wine-colored flowers in Washington County, TX
I'm trying to identify a deep purple wine colored flowering vine in Washington County, Texas. It looks very similar to Texas wisteria, but it is something else. I've seen them growing in vineyards...

Burton, TX
Killing a century plant from Burton TX
How do you kill the century plant, they are taking over?

Flatonia, TX
Want to identify caterpillar that is stripping prickly ash in Flatonia, Tx.
What is the 5/16ths long 1/8th inch long pale opaque green caterpillar that strips prickly ash? It has tiny black dots down its spine and along each side. It has stripped two large trees? Will th...

Giddings, TX
Keeping cows from eating the garden
I have a flowerbed area outside of our new split-rail fence available for planting, but cattle roam outside the fence also! Do you have any suggestions for plants that cows tend not to eat (unle...

Bellville, TX
Low-growing evergreen shrubs for Bellville , TX
I live north of Bellville, TX and have a 3-tiered retaining wall on the west and north sides of my house. What low growing (around 2' tall) evergreen shrubs would be good to plant here. The west si...

Bellville, TX
When to mow bluebonnets
I have approx. 2 acres on the side and front of my house in Austin County. When can I mow the remaining high grass and not disturb the natural renewal? Also, I plan to purchase more bluebonnet seed ...

Bellville, TX
Evergreen shrub for screen in Bellville, Texas
Would you please recommend a dense evergreen for a living screen in Bellville, TX (Austin County) that will receive full sun? Fast growing and a minimum height of 8' are preferred.