A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Balch Springs, TX
Reason for small winecup flowers (Callirhoe sp.)
I purchased some winecup seeds from a wildflower seed company and planted them this past autumn. I live in the northcentral Texas area. This spring, several of the seeds sprouted but they had tiny lav...

Balch Springs, TX
Seed companies selling winecups (Callirhoe sp.)
can you recommend some wild flower seed companies where I can purchase seeds of the winecups that I see growing all along the roadsides? I tried one wild flower seed company but did not have good luck...

Mesquite, TX
Suggestions for flowerbed in Mesquite TX
I live in Mesquite and am new to the area. I am trying to make the flowerbed in the front of my house look better. I've planted some yellow roses and red roses but would like some perennial that bloo...

Mesquite, TX
Evergreen groundcover or ornamental grass to plant under tree
What can I plant under my tree as a groundcover? I would like an evergreen groundcover, how about ornamental grasses?

Mesquite, TX
Hydrilla problems in Tom Bean Lake in Mesquite, TX.
What is the lifespan of Hydrilla in 30 acre lake at Tom Bean Tx? Does it grow spring thru summer and then hibernate thru winter ??

Wilmer, TX
Plant identfication
a vine plant with small white flowers with a small red flower on the end of the bloom,looks like a little red bird sitting on the flower.It is beautiful.

Dallas, TX
Trying to find a supplier for east Texas wetland plants
Mr. Smarty Plants, I'm trying to find suppliers for native, East Texas wetland plants (edge and submerged) and can't seem to find any. Can you help?

Dallas, TX
Evergreen native replacement for liriope
What is a good native replacement for Liriope that is evergreen?

Dallas, TX
Why is non-native, invasive dandelion called a wildflower?
Why is a dandelion a wildflower? {I read it in a book.}

Dallas, TX
Wildflower driving tours in Texas
I am looking for suggested wildflower driving tours in Texas. Do you perhaps have a listing of suggested driving routes one might take for a day or two in order to view the Springtime wildflowers? A...

Dallas, TX
Starting wild plant seeds indoors from Dallas TX
Is it possible to start some Phlox drummondii or other native wild flower from seed indoors, and then transplant to my garden? If so, can you suggest some?

Dallas, TX
Prairie remnant threatened by non-native Queen Anne's lace in Dallas
A blackland prairie remnant is being invaded by Queen Ann's Lace. What are the best, least chemical, methods of getting rid of it without damaging the native grasses and wildflowers? Thank you!

Dallas, TX
Shrubs for privacy screening in Dallas
We have a small yard in Dallas with a four foot chainlink fence. Our neighbor has positioned his patio furniture to face our backyard. What kind of Texas native shrubs can we plant near our fence to p...

Dallas, TX
More on bluebonnets
When will the bluebonnets bloom in the Hill Country this spring? Please let us know. Thank you.

Dallas, TX
Need drought resistant screen at Lake Whitney, Texas
Need drought tolerant shrub for use as screen at Lake Whitney. Will have to survive with little watering.

Dallas, TX
Is a Texas Mountain Laurel too messy for swimming pool area?
Our landscaper has recommended a Texas Mountain Laurel to plant beside our swimming pool. We recently removed Cherry Laurels from the same location because of the mess they made in the pool (especiall...

Dallas, TX
Potential danger of oak wilt in live oaks in Dallas, TX
Do you have or know of any recent publications that discuss a potential oak wilt problem in live oaks in the Dallas area? We strongly believe that live oaks have a great landscape value and are tryi...

Dallas, TX
Is Hibiscus coccineus still considered native in Dallas, TX?
Is Hibiscus coccineus still considered native?. I recently was told by someone with the Native Texas Plant Society that it was no longer thought to have crossed the Sabine naturally. Thoughts...

Dallas, TX
Help with plant ID
I found this plant alongside the road in a field in North Dallas. The dirt was fairly dry, and image is attached.

Dallas, TX
Is a mulberry tree undesirable?
I have a hard time keeping plants alive, so I was happy when a random plant just started growing and thriving about 5 years ago in my yard. My mom (a frequent volunteer at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildf...

Dallas, TX
Nimblewill grass for a shady area in Dallas
i have a very shady backyard and reading some of your post I think Muhlenbergia schreberi (nimblewill) will survive. Two questions: Is it drought resistant? Where can I buy the seeds?