A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Balch Springs, TX
Seed companies selling winecups (Callirhoe sp.)
can you recommend some wild flower seed companies where I can purchase seeds of the winecups that I see growing all along the roadsides? I tried one wild flower seed company but did not have good luck...

Balch Springs, TX
Reason for small winecup flowers (Callirhoe sp.)
I purchased some winecup seeds from a wildflower seed company and planted them this past autumn. I live in the northcentral Texas area. This spring, several of the seeds sprouted but they had tiny lav...

Mesquite, TX
Evergreen groundcover or ornamental grass to plant under tree
What can I plant under my tree as a groundcover? I would like an evergreen groundcover, how about ornamental grasses?

Mesquite, TX
Hydrilla problems in Tom Bean Lake in Mesquite, TX.
What is the lifespan of Hydrilla in 30 acre lake at Tom Bean Tx? Does it grow spring thru summer and then hibernate thru winter ??

Mesquite, TX
Suggestions for flowerbed in Mesquite TX
I live in Mesquite and am new to the area. I am trying to make the flowerbed in the front of my house look better. I've planted some yellow roses and red roses but would like some perennial that bloo...

Wilmer, TX
Plant identfication
a vine plant with small white flowers with a small red flower on the end of the bloom,looks like a little red bird sitting on the flower.It is beautiful.

Dallas, TX
Ground cover for Dallas in shade and partial shade
What ground cover plants will grow in full shade- partial shade in the clay soil of Dallas?

Dallas, TX
Wildflower mix for East Texas
Hello! My boss is interested in planting a wild flower mix along his county road and the road that leads to his house. They live in between Athens and Palestine and have sandy loam soil .. which flowe...

Dallas, TX
Why is non-native, invasive dandelion called a wildflower?
Why is a dandelion a wildflower? {I read it in a book.}

Dallas, TX
Is Nothoscordum bivalve (crow poison, false garlic) really poison
Your Native Plants Database notes that False Garlic (aka, Crow Poison), Nothoscordum bivalve, is poisonous. Many other sites also state this, but I have been unable to find a reference giving specifi...

Dallas, TX
Green wall panel for Dallas
We are working on a green wall panel for a hotel near SMU--I see your list of recommended species for green roofs, & wondered if you have any ideas for vertical applications. Probably will have someth...

Dallas, TX
Source for seeds of Mexican primrose from Dallas
Can I purchase Mexican Evening Primrose seeds now for planting in the fall or do I need to wait for the fresh crop of seeds that will be gathered from this spring flowering. How can I be assured the ...

Dallas, TX
Problems with Texas Mountain Laurel in Dallas
I have a Texas Mountain Laurel that is about 3 years old. When I bought it 2 summers ago, it was about a foot high. Now it is over 6 feet. It seems to have grown so fast that the branches can't ke...

Dallas, TX
Non-native Star Jasmine poisonous to dogs from Dallas
Is star jasmine poisonous to dogs?

Dallas, TX
Wildflower driving tours in Texas
I am looking for suggested wildflower driving tours in Texas. Do you perhaps have a listing of suggested driving routes one might take for a day or two in order to view the Springtime wildflowers? A...

Dallas, TX
More on bluebonnets
When will the bluebonnets bloom in the Hill Country this spring? Please let us know. Thank you.

Dallas, TX
Nimblewill grass for a shady area in Dallas
i have a very shady backyard and reading some of your post I think Muhlenbergia schreberi (nimblewill) will survive. Two questions: Is it drought resistant? Where can I buy the seeds?

Dallas, TX
Need drought resistant screen at Lake Whitney, Texas
Need drought tolerant shrub for use as screen at Lake Whitney. Will have to survive with little watering.

Dallas, TX
Are Bradford pear fruits poisonous to dogs?

Dallas, TX
English Garden in Texas from Dallas
I am introducing perennials to my rose beds, and would like help for an English Garden look in TEXAS!!! (stump the expert!!) One plant I am interest in, as it provides blue (which roses don't) is m...

Dallas, TX
When Should Wildflower Seeds be Planted in Dallas, Texas
Mr. Pants: I have received some seed packets of wildflower seeds from GO TEXAN. How late can I plant these in central Dallas (8 a/b)?