A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

College Station, TX
Native plants to attract butterflies
I'm a Texas A&M Wildlife and Ecology student working with a landowner in Bastrop County, Texas. As part of their Habitat Management Plan, they are hoping to enhance butterfly habitat on their proper...

College Station, TX
Plants for a school garden in College Station TX
I need to plant some things in my school garden. Green plants and plants with some color. Hardly ever rains here. Please give suggestions.

College Station, TX
Arguments for planting native grasses in College Station TX
I hear big ads about putting zoysia grass on my urban lawn but I would rather plant native grass, like Texas Bluegrass (for shady areas) and Blue Grama and Buffalograss grasses. What arguments can I g...

College Station, TX
Source for Lenophyllum texanum (coastal stonecrop)
Hi, Where can you purchase native coastal stonecrop or texas sedum; preferably out in East Texas? Thank you!

College Station, TX
Native plants suitable for clay soils in College Station, Texas
Where might I find a list of native plants suitable for clay soils in the College Station TX area?

College Station, TX
Identification of heartleaf vine
Howdy! I had a plant that I would like to replace but I don't know what it is, I was hoping you could help. It was a climbing vine with large (>6") heart-shaped leaves. The underside of the leaves ...

College Station, TX
Silver ponyfoot becoming invasive in College Station TX
How can I control or get rid of an established Dichondra groundcover? I bought a few plants of D. argentea from your sale a few years ago, and in that time they've done really well in the area I plan...

College Station, TX
BEST SPACING AND EXPECTED HEIGHT FOR ACEROLA (BARBADOS CHERRY) IN COLLEGE STATION, TX
What is the best spacing for Malpighia glabra plants and how tall will they grow in College Station, TX?

College Station, TX
Bee-friendly perennials for Texas
What plants native to east-central TX (College Station, 77840) will attract honeybees? I have a small "yard" behind my condo. I'd like to plant flowering perennials that will support local bee ...

Bryan, TX
Stream Bank Erosion Control for Bryan/College Station
I live in the Bryan/College Station area and need a ground cover to abate erosion on the bank of an intermittent stream. The bank is shaded. Do you have any suggestions?

Bryan, TX
Source for mulberry trees from Bryan TX
I am looking for suggestions for nurseries from which I could purchase Red Mulberry or Texas Mulberry Tree.

Bryan, TX
Fan-Tex ash tree roots a problem near house foundation from Bryan TX
DO I need to worry about Fan TX roots being a problem near house foundations?

Bryan, TX
Death of lantana in Bryan TX
I would like to know what killed several new gold lantana in a single bed that died over the winter. They looked quite healthy last fall. I have several other new gold lantana that survived the wint...

Bryan, TX
Plants named for Thomas Drummond
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, Please send list of plants discovered and named for Thomas Drummond.

Bryan, TX
Apartment Landscaping
I live in an apartment and have a small patch filled with rocks and an ugly plant I don't know the name of. I want to take out the existing plants and put something else in. It has to be hearty,low m...

Bryan, TX
List of plants with
Hello, Mr. Smarty Plants, I would like a list of all the plants which have been named for Ferdinand Jacob Lindheimer. I would like to prepare this information for use at the Washington on the Brazos,...

Bryan, TX
Texas wildflower guide with every flower listed
Is there a Texas wildflower guide that contains every single flower that grows in the state? I have a few flowers on my land I haven't been able to identify because they aren't in the guide I have. ...

Rye, TX
Century plants spread through offshots from Rye TX
How do century plants spread? Are the little ones the babies?

Iola, TX
Will Thunder Turf do well in shade from Iola TX
Will the Thunder Turf do well in shady areas or is there a better blend of native grasses that would thrive better?

Irwin, TX
Information about plant called Josephs tears, possibly Jobs tears (Coix lacryma-jobi)
I recently received a plant and was told it was a succulent called Joseph's Tears. According to the individual who gave it to me, during the month of September it develops a little growth at the tip...

Navasota, TX
Is there a variety of bluebonnet called black gumbo
I live in Grimes County, Texas on the eastern edge of the Blackland Prairie. A few years ago my hillside of Bluebonnet seed was harvested. I was told it was a rare 'black gumbo' variety of bluebon...