El Campo, TX
Flowers for a pond area that will not hold water
We are in area code 77437 in the Coastal Plains of Texas. We have a 1 acre pond that will not hold water (dug to deep into the clay)and we would like to fill this pond with flowers (maybe wildflowers...

Wharton, TX
Yellow leaves on non-native pittisporum in Wharton TX
Green pittisporum that I planted 2 years ago and 1 year ago are getting a lot of yellow leaves. Variegated pittisporum that I planted at the same 2 times are doing fine.

Wharton, TX
Evergreen shrubs for foundation plants
Can you recommend any evergreen shrubs that would work as foundation plants in front of windows, so preferably below 4' tall? I would love a native plant, and of course anything for the birds and be...

East Bernard, TX
Flowers for sandy soil and sun in Wharton Co., TX
I live in Wharton County. I am looking for flowers to plant in beds that have sandy soil and are well drained. The area receives sun all day until 5-6 in the afternoon. I would like to have flowers t...

Damon, TX
When to plant bluebonnet seeds in Houston
I live south of Houston and have purchased 1lb. of bluebonnet seeds. The seed company told me I could put them out in June-when mother nature does it, however I have read several answers that say to s...

Palacios, TX
Trees and wildflowers for Matagorda County, Texas
My family has a fish farm in Palacios, Matagorda county. I would like to plant trees and wild flowers on the property. Can you suggest the appropriate kind that can withstand the salt water around an...

Rosenberg, TX
List of trees native to Texas
I am terribly sorry but, I just found out about this school project; leaves from Texas native trees. I gathered leaves and, now, tonight, Mr. Student advises that they must be native to Texas. Typic...

Rosenberg, TX
When can native wildflower mix seeds be planted from Rosenberg TX
I received a package of "All Native Wildflower Mix". The package says plant in Spring. Is too late to plant now or should I wait for next March?

Rosenberg, TX
Inducing flowering on vines
My daughter presented me with a lovely Passiflora coccinea a few months ago. It is growing marvelously in full sun at the base of a pine tree. I'm wondering, though, if I were to limit the amount o...

Rosenberg, TX
How can I tell the age of a Pecan tree in Rosenberg, TX?
How can I tell the age of a Pecan tree? I live on the Brazos River and have a lot of large Pecan trees but the largest is approx. 11 ft. around.

Alleyton, TX
Propagation of quincula lobata from Alleyton TX
Quincula lobata..how to propagate and when?

Simonton, TX
Wild plum tree failing to bloom from Simonton TX
I have a wild plum tree that has been in the ground for 3 or 4 years and it has not ever flowered. Why? I don't know what kind it is. I dug it up from a friends yard. Her wild plum trees have flowere...

West Columbia, TX
Forecast for the 2103 bluebonnet season from West Columbia TX
What is your current forecast for the 2013 TX bluebonnet season? What would be the best time for people coming from out of state to come to TX to see them? What areas are likely to have the best dis...

Matagorda, TX
Leaves on new water oak turning brown from Matagorda TX
We had water oaks planted in January when they had no leaves. Leaves came on but are now turning brown.

Hamilton Co., TX
Use of saltwater to kill weeds in gravel in Hamilton Co. TX
I want to get rid of weeds and grasses in our gravel driveway and parking areas. Which would be less harmful to the adjacent native plants and trees: saltwater or herbicide?

Richmond, TX
Knots growing on Arizona Ash in Richmond, TX
I have three Arizona Ash trees around my house the trunks are at least 15" in diameter. One of the three has at least 25 large knots growing on its trunk, some maybe 6-8" in size. What are they? Are...

Richmond, TX
Problems with Indian Hawthorn in Richmond TX
I have a lot of Indian Hawthorne plants. I have noticed over the last couple of years that sporadically one will develope a brown area that looks like it was burned or had gasoline poured on it. The...

Richmond, TX
Transplanting yaupon (Ilex vomitoria) trees, concern about cultivars
I would like to place some yaupon in the perimeter areas of my yard. I own other rural property that has an abundance of yaupon and was considering trying to transplant some small bushes. Is yaupon ...

Richmond, TX
Is 'Hot Lips' salvia edible from Richmond TX
Mr Smarty Plants, I recently planted "Hot Lips" a form of Salvia Sage in my yard in Richmond Texas (just southwest of Houston). The leaves and flowers smell so great I would like to know if either ...

Richmond, TX
Native drought resistant evergreen plants for privacy hedgein clay soil in Texas
My family would like to create privacy around our 4 acres of fence line. What native evergreen or fast growing bushes would work? We have terrible clay soil and need drought resistant plants.

Richmond, TX
Does non-native Crown of Thorns cause cancer?
Does the plant, Corona De Cristo (Crown of thorns) cause cancer?