A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Bedias, TX
Need a tree to replace a large oak tree that may be dying in Bedias TX.
I live in Bedias, TX in Grimes County. One of the largest oak trees on my property looks like it's dying. It's simply not leafing out well. I literally can't afford for this to happen since I depen...

Iola, TX
Will Thunder Turf do well in shade from Iola TX
Will the Thunder Turf do well in shady areas or is there a better blend of native grasses that would thrive better?

Shiro, TX
How to determine the gender of wax myrtles from the WFC?
Mr.Smarty Plants, have the wax myrtles that are up for sale at the Center's Spring Plant sale been sexed? I need a male plant. How can the sex be determined when the plant is young? Or can it?

Shiro, TX
Native turkscap failing to thrive in Shiro TX
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, Two years ago I transplanted several native (not cultivars) Drummond's turkscaps in the proximity of water oaks in the front yard. All get shade and some sun. They seemed to ...

Shiro, TX
Planting wildflower seeds in a drought in Grimes Co. TX
I have a dilemma, shared by others I'm sure. My place, which is in Oakland prairie, has seen no real rainfall since sometime in August, and the soil (sand, loam, and blackland clays)is extremely dry....

Shiro, TX
Need help with a Coreopsis eating beetle in Shiro, TX
Mr.Smarty Plants,(Sorry, I kept messing up with my emails) Anyway, here goes: I usually have a beautiful meadow full of lanceleaf coreopsis blooming by now. Not this year. I found to my horror every s...

Shiro, TX
Food for wild rabbits in Shiro TX
There are usually 1-2 cottontail rabbits sharing our 4 acre habitat that are suffering due to the lack of new growth caused by drought. Is there anything I can plant after this summer that would provi...

Richards, TX
When should a redbud start blooming?
Does it take a couple or more years for a redbud tree to bloom? I had some in Houston when I lived there and it seems like it took a long time for them to bloom. I now live in Richards (Near Huntsvill...

Irwin, TX
Information about plant called Josephs tears, possibly Jobs tears (Coix lacryma-jobi)
I recently received a plant and was told it was a succulent called Joseph's Tears. According to the individual who gave it to me, during the month of September it develops a little growth at the tip...

Huntsville, TX
Ground cover for heavy dog traffic in Huntsville TX
We have recently moved to Huntsville, TX where our backyard is very shady and has only a small patch of St. Augustine grass and the rest is a dry, sand-like soil. We also have 2 Great Danes and 2 Pugs...

Huntsville, TX
Identification of three-petaled lilac colored flower in Texas
I found a single bloom. It has three petals, lilac colored with white spots toward the center with purple dots. The stamens are a greenish color. Bloom has an iris appearance. Can't find it in my...

Huntsville, TX
What soil to plant native plants in Huntsville TX
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, I recently purchased several plants at the Spring Plant Sale and would like to know when planting them, what type of soil should I use. I typically use partial native soil an...

Huntsville, TX
Pecan with brown spots on the leaves
Southern pecan, I am a 8 foot tall and 3 year old (young)tree. My leafs have brown spots on top and hard shell mound on the bottom, this is on about 3/4 of the of the leafs, could you tell me what th...

Huntsville, TX
Sharing Selfheal with Texas Friends
I have discovered selfheal plants in my yard. When and how do I collect the seeds or do I just dig up plants to share with friends? I understand this is actually an herb. I love identifying wildflower...

Huntsville, TX
Care for oak acorns after planting from Huntsville TX
I planted oak trees from acorns, how often and how much do I water them?

College Station, TX
Arguments for planting native grasses in College Station TX
I hear big ads about putting zoysia grass on my urban lawn but I would rather plant native grass, like Texas Bluegrass (for shady areas) and Blue Grama and Buffalograss grasses. What arguments can I g...

College Station, TX
Native plants to attract butterflies
I'm a Texas A&M Wildlife and Ecology student working with a landowner in Bastrop County, Texas. As part of their Habitat Management Plan, they are hoping to enhance butterfly habitat on their proper...

College Station, TX
Plants for a school garden in College Station TX
I need to plant some things in my school garden. Green plants and plants with some color. Hardly ever rains here. Please give suggestions.

College Station, TX
Source for Lenophyllum texanum (coastal stonecrop)
Hi, Where can you purchase native coastal stonecrop or texas sedum; preferably out in East Texas? Thank you!

College Station, TX
Identification of heartleaf vine
Howdy! I had a plant that I would like to replace but I don't know what it is, I was hoping you could help. It was a climbing vine with large (>6") heart-shaped leaves. The underside of the leaves ...

College Station, TX
BEST SPACING AND EXPECTED HEIGHT FOR ACEROLA (BARBADOS CHERRY) IN COLLEGE STATION, TX
What is the best spacing for Malpighia glabra plants and how tall will they grow in College Station, TX?