A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Fulshear, TX
Is Texas Mountain Laurel Honey Toxic in Fulshear, TX?
Toxicity of Texas Mountain Laurel HONEY I know the seeds and leaves of the Tx Mountain Laurel are toxic. But, is honey that comes from the Mountain Laurel toxic too? I heard that it is, but can'...

Fulshear, TX
Best time to plant non-native Crape Myrtle in Fulshear TX
When are the best times to plant Crape Myrtles? My husband and I have just moved to Fulshear, TX (just slightly west of Houston) and being summer, I didn't think this was the best planting period. ...

Simonton, TX
Wild plum tree failing to bloom from Simonton TX
I have a wild plum tree that has been in the ground for 3 or 4 years and it has not ever flowered. Why? I don't know what kind it is. I dug it up from a friends yard. Her wild plum trees have flowere...

Katy, TX
Planting Live oak trees in Katy, TX.
We are building a house in a neighborhood where the HOA requires two live oaks in the front yard. Our lot is pie shaped leaving a very small front yard once you take into acct the driveway and sidewal...

Katy, TX
Growths on Shumard Red Oak leaves from Katy TX
Our beautiful Shumard Red Oak has developed lots of light green grape like growths on the leaves. Please inform us what this could be and how we should treat it?

Katy, TX
When does Bouteloua dactyloides (Buffalograss) go to seed in southern US?
When does Bouteloua dactyloides go to seed in the southern United States, mainly Texas?

Katy, TX
Care of Live Oaks
We have Two Young Live Oaks in the front of Our home. We had them treated for insects, ect. Now what can we do to make them Full Green and Happy Happy Happy again.Thank You

Katy, TX
Live Christmas tree in Katy, TX
My husband is really bent towards having a live "Christmas tree" in the front yard. I hate to use anything non-native so I am looking for a native Texas juniper shrub or a small tree that can be tri...

Katy, TX
Looking for tree to absorb sound from neighbor's pool
Our neighbors have put in a new pool with a harmonic pitch sound which resonates in my home. We have tried rubber mats and foam on the fence. Nothing is working. My pool guy suggested trees as the ...

Katy, TX
Small trees for property edge in Katy TX
By deed restriction, I must have five trees on the side of my small suburban lot just west of Houston, TX. Due to the lot layout, the trunks are only about 8-10 feet from the house, with the trees abo...

Katy, TX
Chlorotic disease in scrub oak from Katy TX
Please tell me how to treat my scrub oak as it has chlorotic disease. Parts of the tree are fine and others have yellow leaves. It has not been injured in any way.

Katy, TX
Ticks on native grasses in Katy, TX.
Are there native grasses that are less susceptible to tick infestation than others?

Katy (Houston), TX
Southern Woodferns in TX
I have recently bought some 3 gallon southern woodferns, and have planted them in the shade in a low spot with clay soil. It seems to be a good location for the ferns, but a week or two after transpla...

Katy, TX
Live oak bark splitting in Katy TX
We have a 7 yr old live oak that looks like its bark is splitting open in branches and top leaves look wilted. If that sounds like oak wilt, do we need to have the tree removed? We live in a subdivisi...

Katy, TX
Non-native Callistemon damaged by freeze in Katy TX
O.K. Smarty pants, Callistemon bought here in Houston Texas froze and will they recover after the freeze? The huge tree is totally brown and about five years old. Do we cut them back or do the leaves ...

Katy, TX
Native plants for border in Katy, TX
I live in Katy, TX. I am looking for a native plant for front of the border edging (approx 10 inches).

Katy, TX
Propagation of Ashe junipers
I am trying to re-build what man has destroyed in the Kingsland/Marble Falls area on a property we own out there. I would LOVE to plant a couple ashe junipers for several reasons, a couple being: 1. ...

Katy, TX
Bluebonnets around May 21 in Fredericksburg, TX
We heard that this 2010 spring is expected to be a great bluebonnet/wildflower season in the Texas Hill Country. Do you predict that a later May date (21st) will be too late to catch abundant bluebonn...

Katy, TX
Suggested native plants for Katy, TX
Mr. Smarty Plants I recently moved to Katy, Tx (just outside of Houston) and I would like to know what type of plants and flowers are best for this type of climate. The soil in my flower beds seem...

Katy, TX
HOA chopping down wax myrtles from Katy TX
My local HOA just chopped down 80+ wax myrtles saying that they lived out their life span..they are roughly 18-20 years old..is there a species of wax myrtles that lives only 20 years..or did they co...

Katy, TX
Help with composting in Katy TX
I've gone on line and tried to figure out what I'm doing wrong with my compost pile. What exactly is the proper ratio, and the types of plant matter and layers to achieve the optimum decomposition i...