Katy, TX
Looking for tree to absorb sound from neighbor's pool
Our neighbors have put in a new pool with a harmonic pitch sound which resonates in my home. We have tried rubber mats and foam on the fence. Nothing is working. My pool guy suggested trees as the ...

Katy, TX
Ticks on native grasses in Katy, TX.
Are there native grasses that are less susceptible to tick infestation than others?

Katy, TX
Chlorotic disease in scrub oak from Katy TX
Please tell me how to treat my scrub oak as it has chlorotic disease. Parts of the tree are fine and others have yellow leaves. It has not been injured in any way.

Katy (Houston), TX
Southern Woodferns in TX
I have recently bought some 3 gallon southern woodferns, and have planted them in the shade in a low spot with clay soil. It seems to be a good location for the ferns, but a week or two after transpla...

Katy, TX
Planting Live oak trees in Katy, TX.
We are building a house in a neighborhood where the HOA requires two live oaks in the front yard. Our lot is pie shaped leaving a very small front yard once you take into acct the driveway and sidewal...

Katy, TX
Growths on Shumard Red Oak leaves from Katy TX
Our beautiful Shumard Red Oak has developed lots of light green grape like growths on the leaves. Please inform us what this could be and how we should treat it?

Katy, TX
Live Christmas tree in Katy, TX
My husband is really bent towards having a live "Christmas tree" in the front yard. I hate to use anything non-native so I am looking for a native Texas juniper shrub or a small tree that can be tri...

Katy, TX
Care of Live Oaks
We have Two Young Live Oaks in the front of Our home. We had them treated for insects, ect. Now what can we do to make them Full Green and Happy Happy Happy again.Thank You

Katy, TX
Small trees for property edge in Katy TX
By deed restriction, I must have five trees on the side of my small suburban lot just west of Houston, TX. Due to the lot layout, the trunks are only about 8-10 feet from the house, with the trees abo...

Katy, TX
Live oak bark splitting in Katy TX
We have a 7 yr old live oak that looks like its bark is splitting open in branches and top leaves look wilted. If that sounds like oak wilt, do we need to have the tree removed? We live in a subdivisi...

Katy, TX
Practicality of Cedar Elm and buffalo grass in clay soil in East Texas
Dear Mr. Smarty Pants, I live in Katy Texas on what used to be a rice field. The soil either has a lot of clay in it or in places is just solid clay. Will any kind of buffalo grass grow here? I'v...

Katy, TX
Problems with non-native fruit trees in Katy TX
I have several species of fruit trees growing. pear, lime, orange, pluot, plum, variegated orange, peach, lemon all planted in ground, some this year and some last year: My lemon (approx 15 gallon) an...

Katy, TX
Native plants for border in Katy, TX
I live in Katy, TX. I am looking for a native plant for front of the border edging (approx 10 inches).

Katy, TX
Evergreen large shrub/small tree for screen in Houston
I live on the west side of Houston Tx. I need an evergreen large shrub or shorter tree between myself and a busy neighborhood road. There is a power line above this so we would like something that e...

Katy, TX
Suggested native plants for Katy, TX
Mr. Smarty Plants I recently moved to Katy, Tx (just outside of Houston) and I would like to know what type of plants and flowers are best for this type of climate. The soil in my flower beds seem...

Katy, TX
Determining whether a wisteria is native in Katy TX
If a wisteria is blooming after the leaves are out (there are a couple of blooms right now, in July), is it a sure sign that this is a native Texas wisteria?

Katy, TX
Propagation of Ashe junipers
I am trying to re-build what man has destroyed in the Kingsland/Marble Falls area on a property we own out there. I would LOVE to plant a couple ashe junipers for several reasons, a couple being: 1. ...

Katy, TX
Eliminating gift plant from flowerbed
A neighbor gave me cuttings of a lush green plant with a blue flower with a yellow center that is only open in morning. It has become very invasive. I cut it back and dug at least 6-12" deep to get t...

Katy, TX
HOA chopping down wax myrtles from Katy TX
My local HOA just chopped down 80+ wax myrtles saying that they lived out their life span..they are roughly 18-20 years old..is there a species of wax myrtles that lives only 20 years..or did they co...

Katy, TX
A Tree for Infant Daughter in Katy, TX
Mr. Smarty Plants, We would like to plant a tree to "grow with" our infant daughter. We think she will enjoy measuring herself against it year after year, and will feel a sense of pride as we care...

Katy, TX
Care for lantana in Katy TX
Hello. I live in Katy TX and have a number of Lantana shrubs. How and when should they be cut back?