A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Katy , TX
Non-native dwarf palm leaves yellowing in Katy TX
1 month ago we planted dwarf palms, the leaves are turning yellow, does this mean we are over watering them? If so how much water do they require? Is there anything we can give them? We also have a fa...

Katy , TX
Problems with non-native Bradford pear in Katy TX
Hi. I have a Bradford Pear that I wrapped during the freeze at the base of the trunk during last years freeze. It is about 4.5 yrs old. The base has cracked and the top is dry and lifeless; however, a...

Katy , TX
Declining wax myrtles in Katy, TX
My wax myrtle bushes were thick and green except for a few on the NE side 6 months ago when we bought the house. Now they are thin, leggy, and dropping leaves like crazy. They seem to be dying one bra...

Katy, TX
Practicality of Cedar Elm and buffalo grass in clay soil in East Texas
Dear Mr. Smarty Pants, I live in Katy Texas on what used to be a rice field. The soil either has a lot of clay in it or in places is just solid clay. Will any kind of buffalo grass grow here? I'v...

Katy, TX
Care for lantana in Katy TX
Hello. I live in Katy TX and have a number of Lantana shrubs. How and when should they be cut back?

Katy, TX
A Tree for Infant Daughter in Katy, TX
Mr. Smarty Plants, We would like to plant a tree to "grow with" our infant daughter. We think she will enjoy measuring herself against it year after year, and will feel a sense of pride as we care...

Katy, TX
Native plants for border in Katy, TX
I live in Katy, TX. I am looking for a native plant for front of the border edging (approx 10 inches).

Katy, TX
Eliminating gift plant from flowerbed
A neighbor gave me cuttings of a lush green plant with a blue flower with a yellow center that is only open in morning. It has become very invasive. I cut it back and dug at least 6-12" deep to get t...

Katy, TX
Mid-sized tree that does not attract moths for Katy, TX
I recently started to get interested in gardening. I live in Katy Texas and am looking for a medium sized tree I can grow in my backyard. I don't mind a tree that attracts birds or butterflies but I...

Katy, TX
Possibility of growing a Lacey Oak in Katy, TX
I live in Katy, TX - west of Houston and would like to place a Lacey Oak tree in my yard. We enjoyed this tree in our former home south of Dallas - and I understand it does better in alkaline soils; ...

Katy, TX
HOA chopping down wax myrtles from Katy TX
My local HOA just chopped down 80+ wax myrtles saying that they lived out their life span..they are roughly 18-20 years old..is there a species of wax myrtles that lives only 20 years..or did they co...

Katy, TX
Suggested native plants for Katy, TX
Mr. Smarty Plants I recently moved to Katy, Tx (just outside of Houston) and I would like to know what type of plants and flowers are best for this type of climate. The soil in my flower beds seem...

Katy, TX
Selection of a small variety of Desert Willow for SE Texas
Looking to plant desert willow as shrub. Any helpful tips to keep height down and plant full or bushy.

Katy, TX
Propagation of Ashe junipers
I am trying to re-build what man has destroyed in the Kingsland/Marble Falls area on a property we own out there. I would LOVE to plant a couple ashe junipers for several reasons, a couple being: 1. ...

Katy, TX
Fertilizing wild bluebonnets
Can you fertilize wild bluebonnets? If so, with what and when?

Katy, TX
Evergreen large shrub/small tree for screen in Houston
I live on the west side of Houston Tx. I need an evergreen large shrub or shorter tree between myself and a busy neighborhood road. There is a power line above this so we would like something that e...

Katy, TX
Determining whether a wisteria is native in Katy TX
If a wisteria is blooming after the leaves are out (there are a couple of blooms right now, in July), is it a sure sign that this is a native Texas wisteria?

Katy, TX
Non-native Callistemon damaged by freeze in Katy TX
O.K. Smarty pants, Callistemon bought here in Houston Texas froze and will they recover after the freeze? The huge tree is totally brown and about five years old. Do we cut them back or do the leaves ...

Katy, TX
Shade trees not invasive to foundations and driveways
I am in zone 9. What shade trees can I plant that will not be invasive to foundations or driveways? Thank you, Mr. Smarty Plants

Katy, TX
Bluebonnets around May 21 in Fredericksburg, TX
We heard that this 2010 spring is expected to be a great bluebonnet/wildflower season in the Texas Hill Country. Do you predict that a later May date (21st) will be too late to catch abundant bluebonn...

Katy, TX
Help with composting in Katy TX
I've gone on line and tried to figure out what I'm doing wrong with my compost pile. What exactly is the proper ratio, and the types of plant matter and layers to achieve the optimum decomposition i...