A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Damon, TX
When to plant bluebonnet seeds in Houston
I live south of Houston and have purchased 1lb. of bluebonnet seeds. The seed company told me I could put them out in June-when mother nature does it, however I have read several answers that say to s...

West Columbia, TX
Forecast for the 2103 bluebonnet season from West Columbia TX
What is your current forecast for the 2013 TX bluebonnet season? What would be the best time for people coming from out of state to come to TX to see them? What areas are likely to have the best dis...

Rosharon, TX
Identification of possible Bald cypress
I live in the Houston area, last year we traveled to South Padre Island and,on the way, I noticed a tree that was just beautiful. It looked like a cross between a Norfolk pine and some kind of cycads....

Rosharon, TX
Legality of using Chinese tallow seeds for Christmas decorations
If tallow trees are on the noxious list, is it illegal to use the white berries for Christmas decorations?

Rosharon, TX
Hymenocallis caroliniana and Hymenocallis liriosme Differences
A couple of years ago a neighbor gave me three huge bulbs of a type unknown to her. They fit the description of a spider lily. In attempts to identify it I found Hymenocallis liriosme and Hymenocallis...

Rosenberg, TX
When can native wildflower mix seeds be planted from Rosenberg TX
I received a package of "All Native Wildflower Mix". The package says plant in Spring. Is too late to plant now or should I wait for next March?

Rosenberg, TX
Inducing flowering on vines
My daughter presented me with a lovely Passiflora coccinea a few months ago. It is growing marvelously in full sun at the base of a pine tree. I'm wondering, though, if I were to limit the amount o...

Rosenberg, TX
How can I tell the age of a Pecan tree in Rosenberg, TX?
How can I tell the age of a Pecan tree? I live on the Brazos River and have a lot of large Pecan trees but the largest is approx. 11 ft. around.

Rosenberg, TX
List of trees native to Texas
I am terribly sorry but, I just found out about this school project; leaves from Texas native trees. I gathered leaves and, now, tonight, Mr. Student advises that they must be native to Texas. Typic...

Angleton, TX
Brown patches on St. Augustine grass
I have brown patches on my st. augustine grass, it looks like the grass has rotted from standing water, but the drainage is not a problem, What could it be?

Angleton, TX
Weed killer and bluebonnets in Angleton, TX
Is there a way to weed my yard with weed killer and not harm my bluebonnets?

Angleton, TX
When and how to transplant a Texas persimmon
When and how should I transplant a 12' Texas persimmon? How much root ball do I need to get?

Richmond, TX
Transplanting yaupon (Ilex vomitoria) trees, concern about cultivars
I would like to place some yaupon in the perimeter areas of my yard. I own other rural property that has an abundance of yaupon and was considering trying to transplant some small bushes. Is yaupon ...

Richmond, TX
Knots growing on Arizona Ash in Richmond, TX
I have three Arizona Ash trees around my house the trunks are at least 15" in diameter. One of the three has at least 25 large knots growing on its trunk, some maybe 6-8" in size. What are they? Are...

Richmond, TX
Is 'Hot Lips' salvia edible from Richmond TX
Mr Smarty Plants, I recently planted "Hot Lips" a form of Salvia Sage in my yard in Richmond Texas (just southwest of Houston). The leaves and flowers smell so great I would like to know if either ...

Richmond, TX
Problems with Indian Hawthorn in Richmond TX
I have a lot of Indian Hawthorne plants. I have noticed over the last couple of years that sporadically one will develope a brown area that looks like it was burned or had gasoline poured on it. The...

Richmond, TX
Native drought resistant evergreen plants for privacy hedgein clay soil in Texas
My family would like to create privacy around our 4 acres of fence line. What native evergreen or fast growing bushes would work? We have terrible clay soil and need drought resistant plants.

Richmond, TX
Does non-native Crown of Thorns cause cancer?
Does the plant, Corona De Cristo (Crown of thorns) cause cancer?

Wharton, TX
Evergreen shrubs for foundation plants
Can you recommend any evergreen shrubs that would work as foundation plants in front of windows, so preferably below 4' tall? I would love a native plant, and of course anything for the birds and be...

Wharton, TX
Yellow leaves on non-native pittisporum in Wharton TX
Green pittisporum that I planted 2 years ago and 1 year ago are getting a lot of yellow leaves. Variegated pittisporum that I planted at the same 2 times are doing fine.

Sugar Land, TX
Fast-growing non-invasive shrub for privacy fence in Sugar Land TX
I live in South Texas in Sugar Land. I was going to plant oleanders in my backyard along the fence as a privacy hedge, about 20 feet from my house. However, I was told they were a bad choice becaus...