Conroe, TX
Screen for highway noise in Conroe, Texas
I have 120' of fence line which backs up to a busy highway, and now there are plans to widen it to four lanes. Is there a native tree or shrub which could help dampen the noise and block out the view...

Conroe, TX
Are philodendrons, variegated ginger, sword ferns and palms toxic to horses?

Conroe, TX
Wild plums for jelly from Conroe TX
Do wild plum trees grow in my area? I want to get some next summer to make plum jelly.

Conroe, TX
Low maintenance grass for shade in Conroe, TX
What is the best low maintenance grass to plant in front lawn shaded, no traffic area?

Conroe, TX
Obtaining information about non-native Maurandella antiffhiniflora seeds
Mr. Smarty Plants: My Mother and I love to see all the beautiful Snapdragons blooming each year. We never know when to actually plant the seeds in order to have the Snapdragons come up and bloom by th...

Conroe, TX
Identification of plant with seed pods that have red seeds
I was working for a landscaping company and I was told to clean up around the pool area. I started cleaning up then I noticed this dark brown pod on the ground. At first I thought it was a piece of an...

Conroe, TX
Plants for erosion control in East Texas
We have recently moved to Conroe and are having a problem with erosion behind a retaining wall (installed by previous owner. The retaining wall is made of concrete and is about 8 foot tall by 110 foo...

Conroe, TX
What will grow in red clay in Conroe TX?
We just built a new home and the foundation was poured on red clay which is what my flowerbed area is in. Could you please tell me what can be planted that will grow. I am looking for ground cover, fl...

Conroe, TX
Growing bluebonnets in England
I'm sending some bluebonnet seeds to Norwich England to a dear friend. What time of year should she plant them?

Conroe, TX
Identification of wild plum found in Conroe, TX
I have found a wild plum that has dirty pink flowers and reddish smooth bark in a field in the town of Conroe, Tx. Identification thru the Ag Man here was sketchy and inaccurate. Short stubby limbs w...

Conroe, TX
Need information about oak wilt and Shumard oak in Houston, Tx.
I want to plant a Shumard red oak in my North Houston front yard, with two Nuttall oaks. I keep hearing about something call oak wilt. Is there something I can do to prevent this disease during the ...

Conroe, TX
Non-blooming climbing rose in Conroe, TX
I have a climbing rose and it has never bloomed and has no thorns, it was a cutting from another rose bush. I have given it water and fertilize and have mulch around it also.

Conroe, TX
Identity of rubbery-looking tree with long green thorns
I am trying to identify a tree that has a green rubbery look with long, sharp, green thorns. This tree is on my property in Conroe, TX and the soil type is Gladwater clay frequently flooded.

Willis, TX
Groundcover for area under oaks in Lake Conroe, Texas
I live just off Lake Conroe, and my backyard is more dirt than grass. It is under a number of oak trees, and the dirt is more of a silt than a sand. I need suggestions for a quick growing ground cover...

The Woodlands, TX
Identification of volunteer tree
I have a volunteer tree in my yard that has a mixture of serrated, non-serrated, and partially-serrated leaves on it. My tree identification guides all assume either serrated or non-serrated. How do...

The Woodlands, TX
Sturdiness of non- native poisonous oleanders
We've seen a dozen different types of non-native plants in our yard perish in last winter's brutal freezes and this summer's record drought..which is good..except for the Oleanders, which nature ca...

The Woodlands, TX
Clover for possible lawn area in The Woodlands, TX
I have two areas in my large lawn that grass refuses to grow. I am thinking of seeding with clover which old lawns used to always have. Which clover will grow in this area? Where do I find seeds an...

The Woodlands, TX
Drought affecting native trees from The Woodlands
I've been trying to grow native trees in my yard for the past 3 years and I'm starting to question whether the amount of time required to spend watering them during the long hot season in Texas is r...

The Woodlands, TX
Difficulty of watering at drip line of trees from The Woodlands TX
I'm watering my couple dozen native mature trees to make sure they survive this drought and its aftermath..and I'm reading about how to water at the drip line. But..all of my trees' drip lines ext...

The Woodlands, TX
Dog-proof grass from The Woodlands TX
I am looking for a hardy grass that can tolerate female dogs urine. Zoysia was suggested but I am concerned about it being invasive. Any suggestions?

The Woodlands, TX
Information about Lemon Cypress (Cupressus macrocarpa)
Lately, I've been seeing references to a tree/shrub called a "lemon cypress tree". It looks like a standard Italian cypress, but the foilage is yellow. I cannot find any reference to this plant e...