A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Conroe, TX
What will grow in red clay in Conroe TX?
We just built a new home and the foundation was poured on red clay which is what my flowerbed area is in. Could you please tell me what can be planted that will grow. I am looking for ground cover, fl...

Conroe, TX
Are philodendrons, variegated ginger, sword ferns and palms toxic to horses?

Conroe, TX
Low maintenance grass for shade in Conroe, TX
What is the best low maintenance grass to plant in front lawn shaded, no traffic area?

Conroe, TX
Identification of plant with seed pods that have red seeds
I was working for a landscaping company and I was told to clean up around the pool area. I started cleaning up then I noticed this dark brown pod on the ground. At first I thought it was a piece of an...

Conroe, TX
Identity of rubbery-looking tree with long green thorns
I am trying to identify a tree that has a green rubbery look with long, sharp, green thorns. This tree is on my property in Conroe, TX and the soil type is Gladwater clay frequently flooded.

Conroe, TX
Screen for highway noise in Conroe, Texas
I have 120' of fence line which backs up to a busy highway, and now there are plans to widen it to four lanes. Is there a native tree or shrub which could help dampen the noise and block out the view...

Conroe, TX
Non-blooming climbing rose in Conroe, TX
I have a climbing rose and it has never bloomed and has no thorns, it was a cutting from another rose bush. I have given it water and fertilize and have mulch around it also.

Conroe, TX
Identification of wild plum found in Conroe, TX
I have found a wild plum that has dirty pink flowers and reddish smooth bark in a field in the town of Conroe, Tx. Identification thru the Ag Man here was sketchy and inaccurate. Short stubby limbs w...

Conroe, TX
Obtaining information about non-native Maurandella antiffhiniflora seeds
Mr. Smarty Plants: My Mother and I love to see all the beautiful Snapdragons blooming each year. We never know when to actually plant the seeds in order to have the Snapdragons come up and bloom by th...

Conroe, TX
Plants for erosion control in East Texas
We have recently moved to Conroe and are having a problem with erosion behind a retaining wall (installed by previous owner. The retaining wall is made of concrete and is about 8 foot tall by 110 foo...

Conroe, TX
Wild plums for jelly from Conroe TX
Do wild plum trees grow in my area? I want to get some next summer to make plum jelly.

Conroe, TX
Growing bluebonnets in England
I'm sending some bluebonnet seeds to Norwich England to a dear friend. What time of year should she plant them?

Conroe, TX
Need information about oak wilt and Shumard oak in Houston, Tx.
I want to plant a Shumard red oak in my North Houston front yard, with two Nuttall oaks. I keep hearing about something call oak wilt. Is there something I can do to prevent this disease during the ...

Willis, TX
Groundcover for area under oaks in Lake Conroe, Texas
I live just off Lake Conroe, and my backyard is more dirt than grass. It is under a number of oak trees, and the dirt is more of a silt than a sand. I need suggestions for a quick growing ground cover...

The Woodlands, TX
Survival of native yaupon in The Woodlands, TX after hurricane
One of my large native yaupons trees (8ft) fell away from a group during the hurricane. I have uprighted and tied it off for stability. Now the leaves are all brown and falling. Is the tree dead or...

The Woodlands, TX
Information about Lemon Cypress (Cupressus macrocarpa)
Lately, I've been seeing references to a tree/shrub called a "lemon cypress tree". It looks like a standard Italian cypress, but the foilage is yellow. I cannot find any reference to this plant e...

The Woodlands, TX
Need to find an alternative to Bradford Pear in the Woodlands, TX
Hello! I am trying to find an alternative tree to a Bradford Pear. I love the seasonal change in these and ordered one, but after the many negative reviews I've read (smell, weakness in branches, mes...

The Woodlands, TX
Clover for possible lawn area in The Woodlands, TX
I have two areas in my large lawn that grass refuses to grow. I am thinking of seeding with clover which old lawns used to always have. Which clover will grow in this area? Where do I find seeds an...

The Woodlands, TX
White pine insect problems
We live in The Woodlands TX. Some of our large pine trees have leaking sap and one is dead. What can we do to save the one's still alive?

The Woodlands, TX
Sturdiness of non- native poisonous oleanders
We've seen a dozen different types of non-native plants in our yard perish in last winter's brutal freezes and this summer's record drought..which is good..except for the Oleanders, which nature ca...

The Woodlands, TX
Destructive landscape crews in The Woodlands TX
Hi. We need help. We recently moved to a house where landscape crews have been blowing away the leaf litter from the front yard for many years. The underbrush was also cleared long ago. The result...