Splendora, TX
Native grass for Splendora, Texas.
We have a newly built house on a two acre lot in Splendora (zip code 77372). We would like to seed (the best choice) for grass. What about centipede or buffalo grass? The soil is a sand with clay 4...

Plum Grove, TX
Plants for shade in Texas
I am looking for shade tolerant shrubs to plant near our carport. We live in Plum Grove, near Splendora, Texas. I don't want anything with thorns that will scratch the paint or me while getting i...

New Caney, TX
Flowering vine that will bloom in East Texas in March
What kind of flowering vine will bloom at the end of March in New Caney, Tex. 77357?

New Caney, TX
Will Habiturf be chicken feed from New Caney TX
How well does your recommended native turf grass mix hold up against chickens or do double duty as feed? I have a mixed use property that will house Rabbits, Poultry (chickens/duck/geese), and ev...

New Caney, TX
Mystery berries on vine in Montgomery County, TX
While out in the woods today on Caney Creek near Grangerland, Texas, I found what I thought to be some grapes on a vine hanging down from a tree. I brought the vine down, but when I got it home to pr...

Cleveland, TX
Trees for Plum Grove, TX
Sorry Mr. Smarty pants, my question is I live in Plum Grove Texas, I have 5 acres and NO TREES. What trees were on the property were either taken out by Ike, or the twisters that followed. I have boug...

Porter, TX
Slow development in Shumard Oak from Porter TX
We had two Shumard Oaks Planted in Sept of last year (2012). About a month later, they started browning and dropping their leaves (no color change). Now I noticed on one of the trees the buds have sta...

Porter, TX
Evergreen shrub for hedge in Porter, Texas
We are trying to decide on what would be good privacy hedges (at least 6 ft. tall) to run down our long backyard chainlink fences. I'm allergic to Ligustrums and we have 2 dogs and a cat which I hear...

Porter, TX
What variations of non-native Lavender will grow in Montgomery County TX
I live in East Montgomery County, Texas. What varieties of Lavender grow best in my area? I had some success with Providence variety and Spanish variety. I would like to grow more varieties if possi...

Kingwood, TX
Snails in my flower beds
I live in Kingwood, Texas (north of Houston). I have been inundated with snails in my flower beds in my front & backyard. I really didn't want to use a pesticide, but they were eating all of my flo...

Kingwood, TX
Native plants to replace non-native Pentas plant in butterfly garden
Can you suggest a Native alternative to Pentas? a freeze killed mine and if a native plant can fill that nectar/color void in my garden I'd appreciate it. thanks for all that y'all do.

Kingwood, TX
Source of seeds for Penstemon murrayanus
Is it possible to obtain seeds of Penstemon murrayanus? I'd like to contribute to the propagation of this threatened species.

Kingwood, TX
Pine bark on non-native St. Augustine grass in Kingwood TX
I had two large Pine trees cut down. In the process of cutting the trees down there is a lot of pine bark from the tree on my St Augustine grass. Will this affect the growth of my grass?

Kingwood, TX
Best preparation time for wildflower garden for summer
Is it too late in late Fall to prepare a wildflower garden for next spring/summer?

Humble, TX
Native grass mix suitable for Houston
Do you have a native grass mix that is appropriate to the Houston area- or will the one you have developed to this point work as well here as it does in Central Texas? If not, when will you begin to ...

Humble, TX
Perennials for flower bed in Humble TX
I have a 10 foot by 10 foot flower bed that needs to be replanted and I am located in Houston, TX so what would be some good perennials to plant that are good to grow in this heat? I have been told L...

Humble, TX
Need advice for growing Texas Mountain Laurel from seed in Humble, TX
We live in Humble, Texas 77396 and would like to grow some Texas Mountain Laurel trees from seed. I recently read that they may not grow well in this area because they prefer the Texas Hill country a...

Humble, TX
Wild native trees with orange blooms
What is the wild native tree that is blooming orange blooms - as you drive down the road thru Chappel Hill, and Brenham area. I've never seen these before when we went viewing bluebonnets - however,...

Conroe, TX
Identification of wild plum found in Conroe, TX
I have found a wild plum that has dirty pink flowers and reddish smooth bark in a field in the town of Conroe, Tx. Identification thru the Ag Man here was sketchy and inaccurate. Short stubby limbs w...

Conroe, TX
Obtaining information about non-native Maurandella antiffhiniflora seeds
Mr. Smarty Plants: My Mother and I love to see all the beautiful Snapdragons blooming each year. We never know when to actually plant the seeds in order to have the Snapdragons come up and bloom by th...

Conroe, TX
Plants for erosion control in East Texas
We have recently moved to Conroe and are having a problem with erosion behind a retaining wall (installed by previous owner. The retaining wall is made of concrete and is about 8 foot tall by 110 foo...