Overland Park, KS
How to remove tannins from acorns
On your web page it says that the edible acorns (example: Chinkapin Oak) are edible if boiled, but the wikipedia article on "Acorn" says that "Boiling unleached acorns may actually cause the tannin...

Prairie Village, KS
Plant identification from Prairie Village KS
My friend has identified this plant as a Horseweed. It is 3 1/2 to 4 feet tall. Has a thick, fuzzy single stem. Linear leaves, about 3/4 inch across and 3 or 4 inches long with one or two notches on e...

Lenexa, KS
Native grasses for Kansas City
I live in a Johnson county suburb of Kansas City. I would like to have a section on my yard be native grasses. Can I drive the country roads and dig up clumps of the grasses I like? Will they grow?...

Olathe, KS
Cotonwood fluff in Kansas
Two weeks ago my yard, deck pond became covered in seeds/leaves not sure what it is but it looks like oatmeal. Any idea what plant it might come from.

Olathe, KS
Are non-natives, Dappled willow and Kousa dogwood, toxic to horses?
Are dappled willow trees/bushes or kousa dogwood trees toxic to horses?

Belton, MO
Pruning an oak tree in Missouri in February
Can I prune an oak tree in Missouri in February?

Kansas City, KS
Mulberry sap in the bloodstream from Kansas City
What affect does mulberry sap have if put in contact with the blood stream?

Kansas City, KS
Searching for poisonous plants from Kansas City
Looking on how to acquire wourali vine, upas, or arrow poison wood.

Kansas City, KS
Assuring berries on Viburnum dentatum
I just purchased 2 blue muffin viburnum bushes-I live in Kansas-How many years will it be before they get berries? They are full size(3-4 ft) Do I need to trim them down for winter or just mulch the...

Kansas City, KS
Inadvisability of mounding earth around tree in ring
We have a mimosa tree in our backyard. My husband wants to build a tree ring around it. My mother told me that some trees will die from having soil built up around it like that. Will a tree ring ki...

Kansas City, KS
Plant similar to forsythia for Kansas City KS
I want to plant a plant very similar to Forsythia. I want it to be tall 4-5 ft tall. Need something that leaf changing, something besides burning bush.Former area rose beds 4 x 4 (two areas) Right ...

Kansas City, MO
Identification of plant with large furry leaves
I have 4 huge plants in my flower garden that I cannot identify. They look like an unfolding cabbage with large furry leaves. They also have tiny stickers on them. This a.m. I went out to check on ...

Kansas City, MO
Bloom on non-native Agave attenuata
I have an Agave Attenuata that has grown a long and unsightly stem.Is there a way to cut the plant portion off and re-root the plant without killing the petal portion?

kansas city, MO
Identification of plants seen at Disneyworld
I was hoping for the answer to a certain plant that i have been trying figure out the name of and where i might be able to purchase this particular plant. I have seen it in the Bahamas, Hawaii, and re...

Kansas City, MO
Tree for a Missouri yard
Our front yard tree died. We have landscaping that needs shade. We are in Zone 5, looking for a fast/medium growing shade tree that does not produce anything that falls into the grass and will allow t...

Kansas City, MO
Privacy screen in Kansas City, MO
Hello, I am located in Kansas City, MO and am looking for a wall/screen plant. Last year I used a wall of sunflowers and loved them, however I want something more hardy and something I don't have to ...

Kansas City, MO
Are freshwater sponges poisonous if eaten by a dog?
Are freshwater sponges, native to Missouri, poisonous if eaten by a dog?

Kansas City, MO
Growth on trunk of Eastern Redbud
My seven yr. old Eastern Redbud has a large patch (12x4inches) of white grey, shell or mushroom-like growth on the trunk. The bark has a wide split so the growth is on the layer of wood inside the sp...

Kansas City, MO
Plants for dog-safe privacy hedge in Missouri
I live in Missouri and would like to put a "living fence" around my yard for some privacy. Ideally, I want something that is going to grow fast so that I don't have to wait years and years for my ...

Raymore, MO
Appropriate plants for septic field from Raymore MO
Is it practical to plant coneflower, garden phlox, etc. on a septic drain field?

Lees Summit, MO
Patio materials under a native oak trees in Missouri
Is it safe to build a pavestone patio (with gravel sub base, Geo tech 101 fabric and sand bed..around two 50+ year old native oak trees? I know concrete would compact and cause damage to the surface ...