A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Keithville, LA
Plants for under Oak Trees in LA.
What type of plants and grass can be planted under and around oak trees

Shreveport, LA
Transplant shock in Texas Star hibiscus
Why is my Texas star plant wilting and now is starting to turn yellow? I just bought it from a nursery and put it in a new pot.

Shreveport, LA
What is the weed of Cortez from Shreveport, LA
I am trying to locate the weed of Cortez. I live in northern Louisiana. Can you please let me know if you have ever heard of this? I was told that is a very rare large red flower that blooms in the sp...

Bossier City, LA
Native grasses for groundcover in Bossier, LA
What kind of ground cover can I plant on a slope that gets full sun?

Bossier City, LA
Plants for near a salt water swimming pool
I need some suggestions of plants that will grow next to a public salt water swimming pool, located in Bossier City, Louisiana

Bossier City, LA
Plant Identification
I have a plant that someone gave me and I don't have a clue what it is. I have a picture of it on my computer. If you can send me a email address where I can send the picture to you, that would be gre...

Carthage, TX
Need shade friendly native grass for lawn under pine trees in Carthage, TX.
My home is situated on six acres of woods in the East Texas piney woods area. Other than a few beds I have tried to plant, the yard has not been landscaped. I am trying to cover dirt and weeds in a p...

Carthage, TX
Native grasses for East Texas that require no mowing or watering
What native grass can I grow in deep East Texas that would require no supplemental watering and no mowing?

Marshall, TX
Grass planting time in East Texas
When is a good time to plant grass in East Texas - Harrison County? Thanks so much.

Marshall, TX
Smarty Plants on plant patents
How would I go about patenting a plant?

Gary, TX
East Texas grasses for holding soils
Hi Mr. Smarty Plants, I have a question about the East Texas area: Specifically, which natvie grasses can be planted to hold the soil/new roads through the winter? Here is the situation: (Against...

Plain Dealing, LA
Evergreen plant to cover parents' graves in Louisiana
We want to plant ground cover on our parents graves in Plain Dealing Cemetery in north Bossier Parish LA. Soil is red clay/dirt. Want native plant, slow growing, short not tall plant, that might sta...

Jefferson, TX
Sources of cut native wildflowers
I am preparing for my garden club's annual flower show and I have been assigned Southern Graces in San Antonio. Is there a source for cut bluebonnets or indian paintbrushes? Thank you.

East, TX
Possible causes for plant problems in East Texas
I have been an avid gardener for over 35 years in Texas.I love the wildflowers and use them extensively in my 2 acre plot here in East Texas. There is something really bad going on with my garden: pl...

Longview, TX
Groundcover for steep slope under large oak in East Texas
I live in Longview and have a slope on the west side of my house that is eroding. There is a large 18-20 y-o oak tree that shades half the slope. The slope itself is too steep to safely/easily mow. ...

Longview, TX
Luring wildlife in Longview
I live in Longview, Texas and am in the process of trying to restore a natural habitat for wildlife in my area. Could you give me a list of plants that are native specific so that I can lure local bi...

Longview, TX
How do I grow bluebonnets in East Texas?
I live in the Piney Woods region in N.East Texas. I bought a flat of bluebonnets and want to know if they will grow back next year? If not, how do I get bluebonnets to grow back every year in my yard ...

Longview, TX
Native plants for city lot in Longview, TX
Just bought a city lot in Longview, TX and want to put in some plants at the periphery even before the house is built. Can you recommend any that would be from your list of East TX plants that are pa...

Longview, TX
Mountain laurel with fasciation
My Texas Mountain Laurel bush has developed several "crested branches." What causes this, is it harmful & how do I get rid of them??? Thank you!

Longview, TX
Caring for non-native Peace Lily
I have given my closet plant too much miracle gro and the leaves are drooping really bad. What do I need to do?

longview, TX
Planting bluebonnets along highway
We are in the process of fencing our land located on a main highway. We are supposed to fence 80ft. from the center of the highway. That is a lot of land just sitting there. I wanted to know since we ...