Golden Valley, MN
Control of invasive non-native Alliaria petiolata (garlic mustard)
What can I do to control garlic mustard that has moved into my wild area and what should I plant to combat this aggressive plant? Ostrich ferns, Pagoda dogwoods and emerald hemlocks have been recommen...

Minneapolis, MN
Plants adding calcium to soil
Hi, I am looking for a resource to help determine the functions of native plants. For instance, nitrogen fixing can be found in Indigo, Lead plant, lupines. Are there other plants that add back cal...

Minneapolis, MN
Want to identify a shrub with golden to orangish berries in Minneapolis MN.
Tall shrub or maybe tree with small berries golden to orangish color. The berries are not in large clumps but more twos and threes. Leaves are opposite each other, smooth edges and sort of elliptica...

Minneapolis, MN
I have a plant with plantlets on its leaves. What is it?
Pardon my inexperience. I received a plant as a gift, that is quite similar to aloe, yet smaller. It "bloomed" with tiny paired leaves sprouting from each of the serrations along the larger leav...

Minneapolis, MN
What is wrong with cultivars of native plants?
What is wrong with cultivars of native plants? My state native plant society won't allow cultivars at their annual sale, and the native plant nursery from which I order only offers the species. But a...

Brooklyn Park, MN
Limiting erosion around pond from Brooklyn Park MN
Minnesota resident, wants to find plant limit erosion from pond?

Richfield, MN
Houseplant identification.
Please help me identify a houseplant that flowers a yellow flower at the base of plant. Its leaves are narrow, pointed and green on the topside and burgundy with small hairs on the underside of the l...

Excelsior, MN
Full Sun, Wind-Tolerant Shrubs and Vines for Steep MN Hillside
My neighbor and I share a very steep, large (in total almost 200 ft. wide) west-facing hillside in Excelsior, MN on Lake Minnetonka. We both have a flat grass area at the bottom so the hillside does n...

Bloomington, MN
Wildflowers for flood plain in Minnesota
Hi- Our home sits on 2 acres with about 1 of the acres in a flood plain area. That 1 acre has water running through it when the snow melts off and it generally dries up in 2 days. It is currently plan...

St. Paul , MN
Possibility of growing plants in St. Peter Sandstone
Can you grow plants or native plants in St. Peter Sandstone or amend it?

St. Paul, MN
Information on wildflower programs in cities and states
I am moving to a new town in a few weeks and am interested in starting a program to beautify the community using wildflowers. I've been interested in this for quite some time, but the opportunity ha...

St. Paul, MN
Bee-attracting vine for shade from St. Paul MN
I need a vine for shade that attracts bees. I am in Minnesota, zone 4a. Thanks

St. Paul, MN
Riverbank Plants for Minnesota
I would like to stablize a steep riverbank slope along the Upper Mississippi in St. Cloud MN. The slopes are almost 1:1. We are using an open cell concrete matt in which we are going to plant native...

St. Paul, MN
Edible Plant Resources for Minnesota
Can you suggest some references or resources that could tell me what native species would do well in a Twin Cities region edible forest? Pretty much all deciduous with buckthorn in the understory tha...

Saint Paul, MN
Host plants for Painted Lady Butterflies (Vanessa cardui)
I am looking for host plants for the Painted Lady Butterfly that I can plant in my school's (I am a teacher) native plant/butterfly garden. As part of the curriculum, each Fall our 2nd graders study ...

Saint Paul, MN
Tree for St Paul MN
Need deciduous faster growing shade tree, more taproot style (few/no surface bulging roots--had to cut down large silver maple), few/no fatal pests, tolerant of cold (MN), preferably able to take vari...

St Paul, MN
Plants for eroding hillside around garage in St. Paul MN
We live in St Paul, Minnesota. Our garage was built into a shaded hole close to the bottom of a small hill. We need to find plants that can retain soil around the garage but will not have root syste...

St Paul, MN
Native evergreen vine for St. Paul MN
I am looking for a native vine that will stay green, or at least keep its leaves, throughout the winter. The vine will be grown on a trellis between our house and our neighbor's, and we want to keep...

Coon Rapids, MN
Leaf drop from maple tree in Minnesota
I have about a 30 ft maple tree in my yard, last fall I trimmed it pretty good because the branches were getting low where you could not walk under it or get grass to grow. This is the 2nd time in abo...

Blaine, MN
How to get rid of plants spreading fluffy seeds
I live in Blaine, MN next to a Lake. The "buffer zones" next to the lake are filled with native grasses, weeds & wildflowers. We are trying to identify a plant that blooms July with lavender flowe...

Eagan, MN
Wintering a Lemon Cypress tree in Eagan MN
I Have a 2 1/2' Lemon Cypress Tree. I'm wondering if I can leave it outdoors for the winter, if not, how would I winter over indoors?