Wellman, IA
Sap of mulberry similar to sap of maple for syrup from Wellman IA
Can the the sap of the mulberry tree be used to make syrup similar to maple Syrup?

Brighton, IA
What shade trees and shrubs are safe to plant around horses in Iowa?
I need to know what shade trees, flowering trees, shrubs and flowering shrubs are safe to plant around horses in Iowa. thanks

Iowa City, IA
What to do about grass dying under pin oaks in Iowa
We have 2 pin oaks about 15 years old in our front yard. The grass has started dying out under and around them. What can we do?

Iowa City, IA
Alternative for sedges for turf-like lawn in shade
When it comes to a turf-like lawn in shade, is it pretty much sedges or nothing among native options? By the way, I write from up north here in Iowa. Thanks!

Iowa City, IA
Is Milium effusum 'aureum' native to North America from Iowa City, IA
I have seen the cultivar grass milium effusm aureum described as a native of both Europe and the N. America. Both continents HAVE a subspecies of m. effusum. Which is more accurate; is MEA a cultivar ...

North Liberty, IA
Leaf problems on oaks in North Liberty IA
My oak trees (young and old) are showing leaf problems. Is there a disease or insect causing oak tree disease?

Cedar Rapids, IA
Plant identification, possibly genus Lonicera
My friend found a plant growing in her timber (in Iowa). It has round green leaves with groups of green balls (seed pods?) growing in the center of the leaves. The stems appear to attach to the cente...

Cedar Rapids, IA
Will potted tulip rebloom next year
We bought tulips that were in bloom in small pots in May, and planted them in the back yard. Now my friend tells me they will not come up and bloom next spring, that you must only plant tulips as bul...

Cedar Rapids, IA
Information on non-native Knock Out Rose
I am trying to find out some information about a Knock Out Rose. I dont know the scientific name for it. I have been to different web sites to find pictures, size etc. and can find nothing. Any help ...

Mt Pleasant , IA
Mr. Smarty Plants, My neighbor gave me a plant that is about 3 foot tall, has a main stalk, and leaves that produce small “baby” plants at the edge of the leaves. These plants grow roots and once dev...

Grinnell, IA
Difference between Erigeron strigosus and E. annuus
How can you tell the difference between Erigeron strigosus or Erigeron annuus. Does one have more flowers on it than the other? Thanks.

Grinnell, IA
Short to Medium Height Grasses for Iowa
What short to medium height native grass can be planted in late fall at the same time I sow my wildflower seed?

Gilman, IA
Preplant dip for wildflowers from Gilman IA
I am growing wildflowers in a greenhouse for wholesale spring sales. The very tall varieties such as cimicifuga stretch very quickly. Do you know of any chemical treatments as a preplant dip that have...

Rock Island, IL
Fall care for Fan Scarlet lobelia in Rock Island IL
What do I do with Scarlet Fan lobelia in the fall; do I cut it back or let it go as is?

Rock Island, IL
Possible cinnamon-scented plants in Mississippi delta
I used to live in Mississippi and now live in Illinois. I am trying to find what plant or tree has a strong cinnamon-like scent that fills the air. I noticed this scent driving through the delta in Mi...

Sherrard, IL
Reproduction of purple coneflower (Echinacea purpurea)
What is the reproduction of a Purple Coneflower?

Memphis, MO
Landscaping for a wedding in Memphis MO
I am pretty new at this landscaping flower thing, but I love it. We just moved out to the country in NE Missouri from Colorado (Huge difference, but love it). We have decided to have our wedding at o...

Alexis, IL
Plant identfication
We have red pointed things growing wild in our yard. About the size of an index finger. They just pop up after a rain. Are they poisonous? We have pets.

Prairie City, IA
Transplanting trumpet creeper in Prairie City, IA
I have a Trumpet Creeper that I would like to transplant. How do you do that?

Silvis, IL
Drawings of Illinois native wildflowers
I am looking for line drawings of Illinois Native Wildflowers to use for educational material for visitors to our new City Park. We plan to have signs throughout the park describing how Native Americ...

LeClaire, IA
Controlling poison oak or poison ivy in Iowa
We recently purchased a property that is VERY wooded and has been vacant for two yrs. with little upkeep previously. We have (we were told) l00 yr old poison oak vines hanging from trees. We hired so...