A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Porter, IN
Grave plants in Indiana in 1914
I'm doing research on the landscape surrounding an elaborate family cemetery constructed in NW Indiana in 1914. Previous research noted that "grave plants" were planted along the short retaining w...

Portage, IN
Plant ID and pruning in Portage IN
I'm looking for information on trimming a bush about 6 feet in diameter with orange horns in bloom and its name.

Valparaiso, IN
Deer resistant, fast growing trees for screening
Deer resistant, fast growing, native plants (trees) as a visual block.

Hobart, IN
Erosion Control for Shady Ditches
What plants can you recommend for erosion control along shady ditches in Northwest Indiana?

Grand Beach, MI
climbing vine for growth in sand
I live in Grand Beach, MI. My house sits on a sand dune. I want to plant a flowering vine that will grow up a fence. The area has plenty of sand and I have a trickle watering system. Can you pleas...

Crown Point, IN
Move Roses or Ornamental Grasses in Crown Point, Indiana
I have two ornamental grasses that grew real wide this year. They are blocking three big knock out roses that are four foot tall and four foot wide. My question is which one would be easier to dig up ...

LaPorte, IN
Plant Identification
I am trying to identify a small tree or large plant here in Indiana. I have seen it from 6 ft to as tall as 15 to 20. It is a green leaf with pink cone shaped growth at the ends of a branch. The co...

LaPorte, IN
Treating stings from stinging nettles in Indiana
How can I remove hairlike thorns (as from nettle-type weed)? My hands react within 24 hours with swelling and pain, esp in morning. In past when I have then been able to locate the offending thorn, th...

New Buffalo, MI
Native plants for backyard in Michigan
I am an inexperienced gardener but would love to know the best plants/bushes to plant in my backyard. I would love floral and fragrant. I am in Southwest Michigan, near New Buffalo and since this is...

New Buffalo, MI
Native plants of dune erosion control in Michigan
We care for Lake Michigan dune near our home in New Buffalo and would like to provide erosion control with native species that will also enhance the beauty of the dune with long lasting flowers. The ...

dyer, IN
Evergreen ornamental tree choice in northern Indiana
Can you please advise on growing Lemon Cypress trees outdoors in zones 5/6 zip code 46311

Three Oaks, MI
Identification of thorny vine in Michigan
We have a species growing around our rural SW Michigan property that I'm trying to identify: I either see stalks up to 3 ft tall, or much longer vines if they find anchor. The most notable characte...

Walkerton, IN
Plants for exotic pets
I need to know what are some good native non-toxic plants for these species: Porcelain roach (Gyna lurida) from Kenya, Africa. Giant cave roach (Blaberus giganteus) from Central and South Americ...

Chicago , IL
Smarty Plants on women trying to conceive
RE: Eucalyptus. Is this bad for women trying to conceive? The smell is very powerful.

Chicago , IL
Planting yucca seeds in Illinois
My neighbor gave me a few pods (5) off of her Yucca plant which have lost its bloom for the year, how do I transplant them, in the ground or root them in water first?

Chicago, IL
Plant ID from Chicago
This plant is VERY common along highways across the entire midwest, and often other parts of the country. It has a long stem with a cluster of white flowers usually only on the top of the stem. The le...

Chicago, IL
I'm not sure of county of origin. It was given to me by someone I no longer have contact with. When I initially received it I thought it was just a small potted vine of some type. I've had it a yea...

Chicago, IL
Bluebonnet seeds north of Chicago
Hi My husband is originally from Texas - we now live north of Chicago. Last year he bought a whole bunch of Blue bonnet seeds from a company that said they would grow in our area... I planted enough ...

chicago, IL
Hardy perennials for Chicago
I have a duplex condo in Chicago. My basement or 1st floor is at sub-sidewalk level. This "patio" faces east and gets about 4 hours sun a day. It is about 8 feet high and covers an area 15x9. I'd l...

chicago, IL
green stemmed,whorled leaf,compound leaf, ovate shaped, hairy stemmed thing is fastly taking over my sandy rocked based soil cactus garden. what could it be? i bought my garden in florida

Chicago, IL
I am trying to identify a flowering plant (usually potted) that is commonly seen around homes in Phoenix, AZ. It has a long (1 to 1.5 ft) bare woody stem topped by an umbel of perhaps 15-20 small red...