A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Marietta, GA
October wildflower bouquets for South Carolina wedding
I live in Marietta, Georgia and my daughter is getting married in Pendleton, South Carolina (near Clemson,SC) October 11th. I am in charge of getting 10 wildflower bouquets for the bridesmaids !!! C...

Marietta, GA
Hybrid Impatiens leaves yellowing from Marietta GA
My impatiens looked great when I went out of town, I had recently fertilized. The person left to water them fertilized them. Now they are yellow and dwarfed. Anything I can do?

Marietta, GA
Wildflower meadow on former cattle pasture in North Carolina
We have purchased approximately 7 acres of land in North Carolina. A neighbor has been using the land for grazing his cows, but I hope to plant it with wildflowers once we've built a small house. W...

Marietta, GA
Exotic plant/shrubs for Marietta, GA.
Hi. I live in Marietta GA. and i am looking to add some curb appeal to my front lawn (around the border of the house). I would like evergreen plants and shrubs. I love the tropical/exotic look. do you...

Marietta, GA
Source of seeds for non-native Josephs Coat
Looking for some time for Joseph's coat seeds,(Althernanthera--Chartreuse), Can you help?

Smyrna, GA
Lawn Grass for North Georgia
I would like to know which type of grass would be best to plant in my yard? I have two dogs so there is a lot of traffic. The yard is on a slope so some of it stays dry while the rest is almost always...

Kennesaw, GA
Plant identification in Georgia
I saw the same question that I was going to ask about the plant that folds its leaves at dusk, with sparse branches, rapid growth, small yellow flowers and long (whisker-like, but do not appear to be ...

Roswell, GA
Treating cuts in tree trunks
We have two young trees that deer made bad cuts in the trunks. What can we put on cuts to keep bugs and disease from getting in them.? Thank you.

Roswell, GA
Yellowing of Leyland Cypress in Roswell, GA
We paid for 12 foot naylor blue leyland's to be planted behind our home. This is their first season in the ground here - they came from a tree farm - there is yellowing on some of the branches and w...

Roswell, GA
Brush cleaning fluid used under non- native Loropetalum in Roswell GA
My painter cleaned their brushes under one of my Black Diamond Lorpetulum and it is wilting "BAD." Is there anything I can do?

Atlanta, GA
Help with plant identification.
We need help identifying a perennial in our backyard, which we assume is a native/wildflower, but might not be. It has yellow flowers with 5/6 petals (delicatea, starlike/about 1-1.5 inches across) a...

Atlanta, GA
Correct photos of Cynoglossum virginianum
I recently found some "wild comfrey" (Cynoglossum virginianum) growing in woodlands in Atlanta,GA. When I used the photos on Wildflower Center website to ID this plant, I found what appears to be t...

Atlanta, GA
Tall trees for privacy screen in St. Augustine FL
Please let me know what kind of evergreen tall trees I can plant for privacy in my back yard in the st. Augustine, Florida area. Thanks for your assistance.

Atlanta, GA
Ground cover for shade from Atlanta GA
I am looking for recommendations for a ground cover. I live in the Atlanta, Georgia area and have a large shady slope on which I would like to use low maintenance/water native ground cover. What wou...

Atlanta, GA
Wild hydrangeas north of Atlanta GA
There are wild hydrangeas in my area - just north of Atlanta GA. There is a particular type, though, that I have only seen in the more mountainous counties of GA. The flower cluster is flat, with tiny...

Atlanta, GA
Watering grass, before or after cutting it
Should I water my grass before or after cutting it, after it has not been watered in a few days along with dry times?

Atlanta, GA
Plants for a Narrow, Dry, Shaded Site in Georgia
I am writing from Valdosta, GA. Could you please suggest three perennial shrubs and/or plants that flower at different times of the spring and summer? Also ones that can be planted in a 2 ft. wide s...

Atlanta, GA
Is Passiflora 'Purple Haze' a host to Gulf Frittilary butterflies?
Is the passion flower purple haze (pasionaria purple haze) a host plant to gulf frittilary butterflies as is the passiflora incarnata passion flower?

Atlanta, GA
Native replacements for English ivy in Atlanta
What to plant instead of English Ivy in Atlanta, Georgia. We have a nice lot with trees in back of our lot. To protect our trees there I'm clearing out the ubiquitous English ivy (lots of gardens i...

Atlanta, GA
Evergreen shrubs for hedge in a Memorial Garden
Can you recommend some drought tolerant, low maintenance, evergreen shrubs that would be suitable as a hedge for a Memorial Garden? Thank you.

Atlanta, GA
Pill bugs in potted plants in Atlanta GA
Hello, I repotted four aloe vera plants two days ago with a cacti soil and watered them thoroughly in terra cotta pots according to directions on the bag. Well the next morning the pots had pill bug...