Fayetteville, GA
Source of cotton seeds in Georgia
Where can I buy cotton seeds????

Peachtree City, GA
Native shrubs for wildlife santuary in Georgia
We live south of Atlanta, GA and are trying to have our backyard certified as a Wildlife Sanctuary. Can you suggest native shrubs that thrive in partial sun, are habitats for bird and are deer resist...

Peachtree City, GA
Plants for pool privacy from Peachtree GA
We currently reside in Georgia and have a pool surrounded by a fence. However, because our house is located on a hill, my neighbor on the left side can very easily still see my backyard and we can see...

Union City , GA
Problems with non-native weeping willow
The trunk of my Weeping Willow tree has raised donut growths.The left base has decay. There is a large space between the base and the soil (no roots) and the wood is brittle. Large ants with a black ...

Forest Park, GA
Non-native Cape Honeysuckle, Tecomaria capensis
I am trying to find general information on the Cape Honeysuckle or "Tecomaria" bush/plant. Is is related to the actual Honeysuckle Plant? What is it's care, propogation, sun tolerance, water requ...

East Point, GA
Smarty Plants on dogwoods
I am interested in the worldwide distribution of the dogwood family/cornus. Specifically, I am interested in whether or not there are indiginous species on the Indian Subcontinent. Is there a resour...

Griffin, GA
Controlling native chickasaw plum
How do we kill the chickasaw plum? We have an abundance and want to get rid of them.

Griffin, GA
Are Smilax species toxic?
I have a plant that the agriculture department told me was similax. I have a severe allergic reaction to it, after digging up the roots (potato) and burning them. I had a feeling my lungs inside were ...

Griffin, GA
Plant identification from Griffin, GA
We live in Georgia and we found a mystery plant growing next to our garage. It is a short tree with non-waxy, oblong, dark green leaves. The fruit or berries are not clustered and start out green but...

Griffin, GA
Plants for area around salt water pool
What are some plants that will grow around my salt water pool where there is some salt water runoff occasionally.

Newnan, GA
Non-native, non-invasive Thunbergia alata
I'm trying to find the proper name for Climbing Blackeyed Susan, or Blackeyed Susan Vine. We had one on a trellis and it was beautiful, but I'm told that it is an undesirable weed. Any info apprec...

Newnan, GA
Deer Resistant, Fast Growing Groundcover Suggestions for Georgia
Our driveway is 1/4 mile in length and is steep on both sides (one side up one side down). It currently has grass that our contractor planted using seed when we built our house. We are unable to cut t...

Atlanta, GA
Correct photos of Cynoglossum virginianum
I recently found some "wild comfrey" (Cynoglossum virginianum) growing in woodlands in Atlanta,GA. When I used the photos on Wildflower Center website to ID this plant, I found what appears to be t...

Atlanta, GA
Smarty Plants on vitex
I recently purchased a vitex tree and I don't know anything about it other that it blooms. Can you tell me everything there is about this tree?

Atlanta, GA
Non-invasive sun ground cover for Atlanta GA
I would like to find a non-invasive ground cover for zone 7 (Atlanta, GA) in full sun. I had a bed of ivy with daylilies on a slight slope. I have pulled up the ivy but want something that is not as i...

Atlanta, GA
Is Passiflora 'Purple Haze' a host to Gulf Frittilary butterflies?
Is the passion flower purple haze (pasionaria purple haze) a host plant to gulf frittilary butterflies as is the passiflora incarnata passion flower?

Atlanta, GA
Erosion control on partially shaded slope
Mr. Smarty Plants, I live in Atlanta, GA. My house is on a hill, and I am beginning to have erosion at my backyard porch (concrete slab, on the corners especially). The soil is mainly red clay, a...

Atlanta, GA
Potted non-native mimosas in the U.S.
We need I hope there is someone who could tell me where I could find potted mimosa plants in the US.

Atlanta, GA
Wild hydrangeas north of Atlanta GA
There are wild hydrangeas in my area - just north of Atlanta GA. There is a particular type, though, that I have only seen in the more mountainous counties of GA. The flower cluster is flat, with tiny...

Atlanta, GA
Propagation by seed of Scutellaria ovata ssp. bracteata (heartleaf skullcap)
Scutellaria ovata ssp. bracteata-- Hi Mr. Smarty Plants! How do I grow this from seed?! I'm trying to propagate for a native plants garden (zone 7B). Thanks for the info! Cheers!

Atlanta, GA
Ground cover for shade from Atlanta GA
I am looking for recommendations for a ground cover. I live in the Atlanta, Georgia area and have a large shady slope on which I would like to use low maintenance/water native ground cover. What wou...