Tucker, GA
Native grasses for Georgia
I am new to Georgia by way of Colorado and would like to plant a drought resistant, tough grass/sod alternative in my backyard. Would buffalo / grama grass do ok in this climate? My backyard doesn’t...

Stone Mountain, GA
Why aren't my Forsythias blooming in Stone Mountain, GA?
We have a large forsythia stand that has bloomed beautifully for 14 years in a row. Two summers ago I cut them way back in July. For the past two years they have only leafed out, no, or very few bloom...

Lilburn, GA
Can non-native red-tip photinia be burned in fireplace from Lilburn GA?
Can I burn red tip photinia in my fireplace?

Norcross, GA
Dwarf evergreen heath plant from Norcross GA
I was reading a book that mentioned a "dwarf evergreen heath plant and wondered if such a plant exist. It is suppose to have leathery leave blooms with white flowers that produce red berries used fo...

Norcross, GA
Native plants for full sun in Gwinnett County, Georgia
I'm writing to you from Gwinnett County Parks and Rec. at the Pinckneyville Community Center in Norcross, GA. We are looking to plant our garden and are wondering if you have any suggestions for min...

Decatur, GA
Plant Identification from Decatur GA
Hi: In early May 2012 we visited the Center--fantastic. There was a large shrub/tree with yellow blooms near a silo. Is it Retama? Also there was a lot of a purple blooming plant in with the conef...

Decatur, GA
Plants for a condo garden in Decatur GA
I recently moved into a condo in Decatur (just outside Atlanta). I am now working on the back yard - just a patio and dirt right now. It is a small space and is shaded much of the day but does get s...

Decatur, GA
Invasiveness of Cosmos from Decatur GA
I have been searching for an answer concerning the invasive plant Cosmos. I know that Florida declares this but I have not been able to find out does Georgia? And specifically,is it only the yellow Co...

Decatur, GA
Evergreen, flowering hedge shrub for GA.
Hi, there! I am looking for a shrub for planting as a hedge in Decatur, GA. I have hard acidic clay and I would like an evergreen flowering shrub to line the edges of my backyard to separate it from...

Decatur, GA
Vines for shade in North-Central Georgia
I am looking for something to hide a 6' wood fence that will grow in almost full shade. I have an area approx 2 feet wide to plant in. Since the fence and planting areas are stepped -- about 8 feet f...

Dulutj, GA
Growing Giant Pumpkins in Georgia
I have tried to grow giant pumpkins in the Atlanta, GA area. Each year I lose several strong plants to vine borers. I have tried tin foil wrapped around the stems, and I even painted the stems with Se...

Duluth, GA
Replacing grass on steep hill in Georgia
I live near Atlanta, Georgia. My yard is a steep hill, which makes mowing VERY challenging. If possible, I would like to remove the grass and plant something hardy that does not require mowing. What p...

Duluth, GA
New plant introductions in Georgia.
Can you list 5-10 brand new plants to the marketplace this 2009-2010 season for my area in GA? Thank you.

Snellville, GA
Growth of non-native bermudagrass in Snelville GA
How do you grow Bermuda grass successfully in the state of Georgia? Techniques in fertilization, lawn cutting and general maintenance. Thank you.

Snellville, GA
Can I grow Texas bluebonnets in Georgia?
Being a native Texan, my mom loves bluebonnets. We live in Georgia, however so I am wondering if I planted some bluebonnets in her yard would they grow? What are the best conditions for bluebonnets ...

Atlanta, GA
Help with plant identification.
We need help identifying a perennial in our backyard, which we assume is a native/wildflower, but might not be. It has yellow flowers with 5/6 petals (delicatea, starlike/about 1-1.5 inches across) a...

Atlanta, GA
Wild hydrangeas north of Atlanta GA
There are wild hydrangeas in my area - just north of Atlanta GA. There is a particular type, though, that I have only seen in the more mountainous counties of GA. The flower cluster is flat, with tiny...

Atlanta, GA
Is Passiflora 'Purple Haze' a host to Gulf Frittilary butterflies?
Is the passion flower purple haze (pasionaria purple haze) a host plant to gulf frittilary butterflies as is the passiflora incarnata passion flower?

Atlanta, GA
Potted non-native mimosas in the U.S.
We need I hope there is someone who could tell me where I could find potted mimosa plants in the US.

Atlanta, GA
Erosion control on partially shaded slope
Mr. Smarty Plants, I live in Atlanta, GA. My house is on a hill, and I am beginning to have erosion at my backyard porch (concrete slab, on the corners especially). The soil is mainly red clay, a...

Atlanta, GA
Butterfly garden plants for partial shade in Georgia
I have a patio that is brick with 2 small areas for planting. The area has partial shade and soil is moist and looks dense. Currently there is an Ivy Bush in the back left corner which I like and ha...