Stone Mountain, GA
Why aren't my Forsythias blooming in Stone Mountain, GA?
We have a large forsythia stand that has bloomed beautifully for 14 years in a row. Two summers ago I cut them way back in July. For the past two years they have only leafed out, no, or very few bloom...

Tucker, GA
Native grasses for Georgia
I am new to Georgia by way of Colorado and would like to plant a drought resistant, tough grass/sod alternative in my backyard. Would buffalo / grama grass do ok in this climate? My backyard doesn’t...

Lilburn, GA
Can non-native red-tip photinia be burned in fireplace from Lilburn GA?
Can I burn red tip photinia in my fireplace?

Decatur, GA
Plant Identification from Decatur GA
Hi: In early May 2012 we visited the Center--fantastic. There was a large shrub/tree with yellow blooms near a silo. Is it Retama? Also there was a lot of a purple blooming plant in with the conef...

Decatur, GA
Evergreen, flowering hedge shrub for GA.
Hi, there! I am looking for a shrub for planting as a hedge in Decatur, GA. I have hard acidic clay and I would like an evergreen flowering shrub to line the edges of my backyard to separate it from...

Decatur, GA
Plants for a condo garden in Decatur GA
I recently moved into a condo in Decatur (just outside Atlanta). I am now working on the back yard - just a patio and dirt right now. It is a small space and is shaded much of the day but does get s...

Decatur, GA
Vines for shade in North-Central Georgia
I am looking for something to hide a 6' wood fence that will grow in almost full shade. I have an area approx 2 feet wide to plant in. Since the fence and planting areas are stepped -- about 8 feet f...

Decatur, GA
Invasiveness of Cosmos from Decatur GA
I have been searching for an answer concerning the invasive plant Cosmos. I know that Florida declares this but I have not been able to find out does Georgia? And specifically,is it only the yellow Co...

Snellville, GA
Can I grow Texas bluebonnets in Georgia?
Being a native Texan, my mom loves bluebonnets. We live in Georgia, however so I am wondering if I planted some bluebonnets in her yard would they grow? What are the best conditions for bluebonnets ...

Snellville, GA
Growth of non-native bermudagrass in Snelville GA
How do you grow Bermuda grass successfully in the state of Georgia? Techniques in fertilization, lawn cutting and general maintenance. Thank you.

Norcross, GA
Native plants for full sun in Gwinnett County, Georgia
I'm writing to you from Gwinnett County Parks and Rec. at the Pinckneyville Community Center in Norcross, GA. We are looking to plant our garden and are wondering if you have any suggestions for min...

Norcross, GA
Dwarf evergreen heath plant from Norcross GA
I was reading a book that mentioned a "dwarf evergreen heath plant and wondered if such a plant exist. It is suppose to have leathery leave blooms with white flowers that produce red berries used fo...

Atlanta, GA
Help with plant identification.
We need help identifying a perennial in our backyard, which we assume is a native/wildflower, but might not be. It has yellow flowers with 5/6 petals (delicatea, starlike/about 1-1.5 inches across) a...

Atlanta, GA
Erosion control on partially shaded slope
Mr. Smarty Plants, I live in Atlanta, GA. My house is on a hill, and I am beginning to have erosion at my backyard porch (concrete slab, on the corners especially). The soil is mainly red clay, a...

Atlanta, GA
Ground cover for shade from Atlanta GA
I am looking for recommendations for a ground cover. I live in the Atlanta, Georgia area and have a large shady slope on which I would like to use low maintenance/water native ground cover. What wou...

Atlanta, GA
Is Passiflora 'Purple Haze' a host to Gulf Frittilary butterflies?
Is the passion flower purple haze (pasionaria purple haze) a host plant to gulf frittilary butterflies as is the passiflora incarnata passion flower?

Atlanta, GA
Non-invasive sun ground cover for Atlanta GA
I would like to find a non-invasive ground cover for zone 7 (Atlanta, GA) in full sun. I had a bed of ivy with daylilies on a slight slope. I have pulled up the ivy but want something that is not as i...

Atlanta, GA
Native replacements for English ivy in Atlanta
What to plant instead of English Ivy in Atlanta, Georgia. We have a nice lot with trees in back of our lot. To protect our trees there I'm clearing out the ubiquitous English ivy (lots of gardens i...

Atlanta, GA
Propagation by seed of Scutellaria ovata ssp. bracteata (heartleaf skullcap)
Scutellaria ovata ssp. bracteata-- Hi Mr. Smarty Plants! How do I grow this from seed?! I'm trying to propagate for a native plants garden (zone 7B). Thanks for the info! Cheers!

Atlanta, GA
Wild hydrangeas north of Atlanta GA
There are wild hydrangeas in my area - just north of Atlanta GA. There is a particular type, though, that I have only seen in the more mountainous counties of GA. The flower cluster is flat, with tiny...

Atlanta, GA
Peak period for viewing Central Texas wildflowers
My daughter lives in San Antonio now. I want to time my next visit with the peak period to blue bonnets and other TX wildflowers. When do you recommend that I visit and come to the Center for the fi...