A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Wesley Chapel, FL
Ground cover for damp areas
I am looking for a cover ground plants that tolerate damp areas. Any suggestions?

Wesley Chapel, FL
Transplant shock in non-native crape myrtle from Wesley Chapel, FL
I just bought a 12 ft. crape myrtle and planted it, giving it plenty of water I think. After 3 days the leaves are wilting and flowers are falling off.

Brandon, FL
Can you grow Texas bluebonnets in Florida?
Can you grow Texas Bluebonnets in mid-Florida?

Brandon, FL
Screening plant for wall in Florida
Hi Mr. Smarty Pants, I live near Tampa, FL and I want to put a line of privacy plants/hedges along a brick wall. The wall is 6' high with openings in the top 3' of the wall. The length of the w...

Tampa, FL
What grows in Tampa FL
Please let me know what grows in the backyard in Tampa, FL to provide screening and privacy?

Tampa, FL
Evergreen flowering vine for wall in Tampa FL
Mr. Smarty Plants, I live in Tampa Florida and am looking for a non toxic, evergreen, profusely flowering vine to cover a wall. It needs to be cold hardy to approx. 20F. Thanks for your help

Tampa, FL
Privacy Hedge Suggestions for Tampa, Florida
My back wall is made of stone and is about 6' high. We are very close to a busy road. I need a plant that will reach about 7-8 feet high or a hedge to reduce some of the noise. What plant/hedge would...

Tampa, FL
Lantana failing to bloom from Tampa FL
I reside in central Florida. I have planted several lantana the orange,red,yellow type. I don't have proper species name. They have been in the ground 3 weeks with 2" of potting soil around root ba...

Tampa, FL
Ways to group plants
Are deciduous plants and leaves and roots ways to group plants? I need the answer now; tell me the answer if some are wrong?

Tampa, FL
Need shrubs to plant alongside a swimming pool in Tampa, FL.
I Have a 3 1/2 foot gap between my pool screen and back fence. This gap runs about 30 ft. long. I would like to place small trees to look beautiful and to grow 6-8 ft. high to screen out my neighbor...

Tampa, FL
red maple bark damage by squirrels
We have two acres of land, largely covered by various oaks and cherry laurels -and, after many hours of cutting down chinese tallow trees..finally some red maples. Our problem is that we also have a s...

Tampa, FL
Deer resistant groundcover for Tampa, Florida
I live in Tampa, FL and have a deer problem. I was wondering if you would give me some suggestions for deer resistant ground covers that are hearty and flower but most of all "DEER RESISTANT"!!! ...

Oldsmar, FL
Care of non-native Mandevilla
I have purchased 2 Red Riding Hood Mandevilla's. The tag on it says it blooms spring to frost, full sun, ave size is 8 feet tall & spreading. I live in the Tampa FL area. Does this plant grow as a sh...

Riverview, FL
I was just in Alabama this weekend and all alongside the road-side were these georgeous pink flowers. I finally stopped to pick one and thet are even prettier up close! The stem is smooth and leafle...

NEW PORT RICHEY , FL
Cottage pink
What is the flower cottage pink?

New Port Richey, FL
Non-native Asclepias curassavica
I have some plants given to me by a neighbor, here in Florida. She says they are called Butterfly Reel or by another name Asclepias Curassavica. I have been unable to locate any info. on this plant. ...

Gibsonton, FL
Do palm trees put off a toxic smoke when burnt?
do palm trees put off a toxic smoke when burnt

Holiday, FL
Florida shrub with tiny green pumpkin-like fruit
I live in Central Florida and have a fast-growing shrub with long stems. The leaves are similar to sassafras and from a distance the red flowers resemble those of a geranium. It has pods that look l...

Spring Hill, FL
Muhly grass slow to green up from Spring Hill FL
Have lots of muhly grass planted 3 yrs ago. This yr about 1/3 are VERY slow. Still look like hay stacks. No pattern in the bed. You mentioned pesticides being too close?

Spring Hill, FL
Butterfly egg kit from Spring Hill FL
Could you please tell me all native plant(s) I can buy for my Sons Painted Lady Butterfly kit (eggs are going to hatch soon)and I don't know what to buy for the baby caterpillars to eat. I contacted ...

Hudson, FL
Will Arborvitae (Thuja occidentalis) roots cause problems in a leach field?
A new neighbor is concerned my Arbovitae's root system will go into his leach field. His house has been there also for the same amount of time as the tree and the field. The tree is 45 years old. Do...