Medina, OH
Hybrid Campsis radicans 'Madame Rosy' from Medina OH
I have a Madame Rosy Campsis that is not blooming. We purchased and planted it last year, mid-summer and it did well for the remainder of the season but this year...nothing but green leaves........wh...

Medina, OH
Browning of Red Western cedars in Medina, OH
I have a row of Red Western Cedars bordering my yard. One week after my lawn people but down spring fertilizer and grub control, they began turning brown. Is there any correlation? If not, what cau...

medina, OH
Identity of a plant in Ohio
Trying to identify a tree/shrub in Ohio. It grows from 6-8', and blooms through the summer. It has small green glossy leaves, and bell/trumpet shaped flowers in pink, white, or yellow with stripes. T...

Medina, OH
Propagating American Beautyberry in Medina OH
I brought home a small branch of American beautyberries when I was vacationing in N. Carolina. How do I go about planting them and will they survive in the Cleveland area?

Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Large leaf plant over 5 feet tall red stems and purple almost black flat berries in large clumps. Any idea?

Parma Hts, OH
Seedlings from established plants in Parma Hts., OH
I have 20 yr old shrubs and hedges along my back yard. I don't know their variety. How do I keep the seedlings from encroaching in my lawn? The seedlings have sprouted 3 feet into the lawn. Any ide...

Akron, OH
Alternative names for Aquilegia Sanguinaria
I am looking for the common name for a flower called Aquilegia Sanguinaria. Can you help? Does this even exist?

Akron, OH
Identity of plant at funeral that smells similar to honeysuckle
What plant or flower smells similar to honeysuckle? I live in Ohio and I smelled some kind of flower or plant at a friends funeral last spring that smelled similar to honeysuckle. It was...

Akron, OH
Transplanting a non-native rose from Akron OH
Can I transplant a rose plant that I have in sunny area to an area that will be partially shady?

Parma, OH
Eradication of invasive thistles in Parma OH
Lawn is full of prickly weeds with very deep roots. May be called Scotch Thistle, although id is not confirmed. They will grow as tall as they can amid other plants, and when mowed in the lawn, they...

Elyria, OH
Growing non-native bay leaf plant from Elyria OH
I was wondering if the bay leaf plant is native and how hard it is to grow? I am so tired of buying expensive bay leaf in the store and want to do it myself.

Canal Fulton, OH
Non-blooming of an apparent yucca in Ohio
I have what looks like a yucca plant in my flower bed. but in the 3 years we have lived here it has never bloomed. It did get a little bigger and has always been green. If it is a yucca, is there any ...

Munroe Falls, OH
A tap-rooted tree for Munroe Falls, OH?
Hello.. We need to find a fast growing shade tree which has a tap root or a heart root system. No surface roots please. We live in Munroe Falls, Ohio which I believe is Zone 5. Let us know your though...

Tallmadge, OH
Flowering plants for shade in Ohio
I am trying to find flowering plants I can grow in my perennial shade garden. So far I am having a difficult time except for hostas, nettle and myrtle. I need help to get my miniature lilac to blo...

Tallmadge, OH
Planting a pair of Viburnum nudum var. cassinoides for fruiting
I'd like to plant a pair of witherod viburnums to improve their fruiting. Can I get the cross-pollination with a v. cassanoides together with a v. nudum? How close together do they need to be? (Ca...

Hudson, OH
Poisonous plant in Ohio with hydrangea-like flower
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, I was sure that I had read that there is a poisonous bush that is native to Ohio that has flowers something like a white hydrangea..or was it queen ann's lace? I believe the ...

Hudson, OH
Plants for a sunny sloped roadside in Ohio
I am looking for a solution to a slope that cannot be easily mowed. Our yard is flat until you get about 15 feet from the road at which point it angles up to a small 5 foot area next to the road. I ...

Wooster, OH
Transplanting Trees in OH
Is the middle of May too late to dig out Arborviteas and spruces to transplant? I live in central Ohio.

Wooster, OH
Plants for a pool fence in Ohio
I live in Ohio and have a pool with a white vinyl fence. Each year I plant sunflowers around it, but they are so messy when the birds/bees find them. Previously I planted castor beans, however, they...

Rocky River, OH
Plants for a windbreak on a slope in OH
Have property at the top of a valley with a steep drop off. Would like to know native to NE Ohio ground covers, grasses perennials, and not too tall trees for windbreak that will prevent erosion. The ...

Lakewood, OH
Native Backyard for Lakewood OH
I would like to do away with the lawn in my backyard in favor of native plants that would require minimal maintenance, including flowering plants that would encourage pollinators.