A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Ridgeway, SC
Need a pretty ground cover to control erosion in Rigdeway, SC.
What is a fast, pretty ground cover blanket to control erosion on steep hill. gets full sun.

Ridgeway, SC
White specks on unknown houseplant from Ridgeway SC
I have an unknown houseplant that seems to have some sort of pest or disease on it. It has white snowy specks atop its leaf. I bought this purple fuzzy leafed houseplant from Walmart in Winnsboro, SC ...

Blythewood, SC
Space between trees from Blythewood SC
I'm planting 4 green giants in a back corner of my yard. I also have a kumquat tree to plant. I have somewhat limited space. What is the minimum spacing between the four green giants and the green gi...

Columbia, SC
Climbing vines that are deer resistant
Please find plants that are climbing vines and are deer resistant

Columbia, SC
Toxicity of leaves and berries of lantana
Hi Mr. Smarty Plants!!! I live in Columbia, SC and have fallen in love with the Lantana or Lanta plants. I have a lot of them because of their rapid growth. My question is -- in addition to all t...

Columbia, SC
Erosion control on slope from Columbia SC
We are in the process of having a new home built in Columbia South Carolina. Part of the front yard has a steep slope starting approximately four feet from the corner of the house and running to the ...

West Columbia, , SC
Ways to eliminate non-native bermuda grass from West Columbia SC
Could you kill bermuda grass by heavy over-fertilizing it? Or black, solid plastic cloth? Thanks

Lexington, SC
Possibility of growing Buckleys yucca in South Carolina
I live in Lexington, SC. I am wondering if I can grow Buckley's yucca (yucca constricta) here and if so, where can I purchase the seeds or plants? I am from Texas and we are trying to create a "we...

Prosperity, SC
Privacy screening from Prosperity SC
I need to know what would be a good tree to plant for blocking my neighbor's home it needs to be an evergreen and slender in the space it would take.

Newberry, SC
More on bluebonnets
We live on a farm and have recently had a cow that was deathly sick, then finally got better. We also had a couple of calving problems with the cows. I was reading about how toxic tailcup lupine is to...

Leesville, SC
Non-poisonous trees to shade horse pasture in Leesville SC
Please list NON-poisonous trees for horses in South Carolina. I would live to plant a few trees along the fence of my horse pasture and in my horse pasture for shade.

Rock Hill, SC
Plants for delineating property line
I have a neighbor who does not mow his grass or take care of a strip that runs between my property and his. I would like to plant some inexpensive, low maintenance, shrubs, that would do well in full...

Rock Hill, SC
Baby in a manger plant from Rock Hill SC
I'm looking for the correct name for baby in a manger(It's a plant.)

St. Matthews, SC
Invasive vines in azaleas in South Carolina
I have saw briars and wild jasmine, and cow itch vine that has invaded my azaleas, and would like your input on how to get rid of them without completely destroying my azaleas. Thanks

Waxhaw, NC
Saving frozen yuccas from North Carolina
I live in NC and have 2 potted yucca plants on my deck. Every year I have brought them in for the winter. This year, someone told us that we could leave them out all winter. They began to die in the c...

Waxhaw, NC
Small evergreen shrubs for horse barn in North Carolina
I want to plant some low growing evergreen shrubs in pots in my paddock around my barn. The horses can occasionally be in this are but not for an extended time. I am in NC. Any suggestions?

Waxhaw, NC
Are Eastern White Pine suitable for Waxhaw NC
Pinus strobus ( White Pine )- I wish to plant four of these evergreens along our property lines as a screen. Our county is selling one foot plants in a container. Our soil is clay. Are these t...

Waxhaw, NC
Propagation of native American beautyberry in North Carolina
I have found a beauty berry bush growing wild in the woods. It is huge! I broke off a couple of branches (1/4 " in diameter) and wonder if it will root if I just stick it in good moist soil. I alr...

Waxhaw, NC
Erosion control blankets for controlling slope in North Carolina
We live in NC (red clay dirt). We recently/in the process of installing a pool. They contractor has completely unearthed our entire yard - and part of our property is on a substantial hill. Is there...

Charleston, SC
Getting rid of poison ivy
Dear Mr Smarty Plants, Likewise I also have a shady area in my yard with overgrowth of poison ivy. It borders a small duck pond and we have a Golden Retriever. I too would like to plant soon afterward...

YORK, SC
Danger of seeds being damaged in cold stratifying
I started cold stratifying some wildflower seeds with some damp cloths in a refrigerator to plant them in the spring. When I was finished preparing the seeds the refrigerator door was somehow left ope...