A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Florida hanging vine with occasional red tongue-like leaves
I live in south Florida and I used to grow a hanging vine that had green slender leaves and an occasional red leaf that looked like a tongue that protruded horizontally from the plant. do you know wha...

North Miami Beach, FL
Identification of shrub in Florida
Hello Mr. Smarty Plants, I have a question about identifying some bushes. The bushes I have seen through areas of Florida and they seem to be used most often as natural fences. These are the charac...

North Miami Beach, FL
Mosquito repellant plant?
Is there such a thing as mosquito repellent plants? If so, what are they?

Biscayne Park, FL
Wild flowers in North Texas for October wedding from Biscayne FL
I am getting married in north Texas in October. I want to use wild flowers in addition to daisies. Which ones are in bloom in early oct? I've heard using flowers in season are more reasonably priced....

Opa Locka, FL
Removal of leaves before transplanting
Before transplanting a plant, is it a good idea to remove leaves?

Edgewater, FL
Sap from agave causing reactions from Edgewater FL
Not only was I stuck with the century plant thorns and needle like ends when I was digging up its pups, but I also broke the carrot-like root of a few when I was transplanting and got the white sap on...

Davie, FL
Identification of wildflowers in Wyoming
I have taken some photos of wildflowers in Wyoming and although I have looked in several books and this website, I am still unable to identify a few. 1) very small white and lt. blue flower with 5 sep...

Davie, FL
Seeding south Florida native wildflower meadow
Information about seeding a south Florida native wildflower meadow. Have only found information north Florida.

Miami, FL
Scientific name for non-native staghorn fern
What is the scientific name for the staghorn fern?

Miami, FL
Placement of lemon cypress tree in Miami, FL
Where is the best place to have a lemon cypress tree? indoors or out? Presently in south Miami climate, Scott's potting soil, clay pot, with good drainage.

Miami, FL
Purchase source for non-native Aerva Lanata plant
I am looking for a place where I could buy the Aerva Lanata Plant, would you happen to know?

Miami, FL
Vine with red berries in North Carolina
I found a plant/ vine pink teardrop with red berries in the Pusgah Forest in North Carolina and no on knows the name of it. I have a photo, can you help?

Miami, FL
Groundcovers for Miami FL
What is a ground cover that does not need mowing or a lot of water and survives in South Florida heat and is also native to the area? I would like to turn my lawn into a more natural self-sustaining a...

Miami, FL
Non-native Ruda plant drying up in Florida
I have a RUDA plant at work, but do not know if I am putting too much water on it, it is about 1 meter high but I think is drying up. How often do I water it? I'm in Miami Fl. Thank you.

Miami, FL
Palm trees turning orange in Miami
Why are my palm trees turning orange?

Miami, FL
Non-native ixora full of weeds in Miami FL
My Ixoras are full of weeds look like some kind of berry. Is there a way to get rid of them?

Miami, FL
Miami gardener needs to know toxicity of Cordia boissieri
Hello. I have a question about Cordia boissieri. Is it toxic for humans (all parts of the plant)? I want to plant it in South Florida, in an area with children.

Miami, FL
is the rainbow Eucalyptus poisonous to horses in FL?
Is the Rainbow Eucalyptus Tree poisonous to horses?

Miami, FL
Groundcovers for Miami, FL
I live in Miami, Florida. I have a medium size Bismarck Palm in my front yard. What would be a good ground cover other than grass around this palm?

Miami, FL
Problems with non-native Canary Date Palms from Miami FL
Hi: The fronts of my canary date palm, which I planted about 6 years ago, has been getting brown from the bottom of the tree and working itself towards the top for the past several months now. The b...

Miami, FL
What is more important for plant growth; sunlight, water, soil or what?
What is more important for plant growth generally. Sunlight, water, good soil what ? please write back I need an answer I am 13 doing a science project.