Monroeville, , PA
Plants to cover rock wall in Pennsylvania
Please recommend plants that I could use to plant on the (full sun) slightly sloped ground space above a 3 foot high, 20 foot long unattractive stone wall that would grow over and down to cover the wa...

Murrysville, PA
Looking for a tree not toxic to horses in Pennsylvania.
I'm sending a tree as a gift and I need to know what I can get that is non toxic to horses. Can you please suggest a few.

Pitcairn , PA
Clarification of question from Pitcairn PA
What is the best site and book for wild stables in Pennsylvania?

Pitcairn, PA
Native Edible Plants of Pennsylvania Books
What is the best book that you know of for finding wild plant edibles in Pennsylvania?

West Mifflin, PA
Plants for erosion control in West Mifflin PA
I have recently had a retaining wall rebuilt in my back yard and an above the ground pool installed. My lawn is uneven with no grass and the hillside is very dry dirt with rocks. What type of plant ...

McKeesport, PA
Creeping buttercups in juniper in McKeesport PA
I have creeping buttercups in my juniper ground cover. How do I get rid of them.

Greensburg, PA
What tree berries causes blisters in PA?
This summer my family was playing with some berries picked from a tree in our backyard. They would place them in their mouths and shoot them through homemade pea-shooters. Shortly after everyone beg...

Greensburg, PA
Pruning non-native Japanese maple
Can you tell me how to properly prune a Japanese maple?

Greensburg, PA
How to Remove Pokeweed in Greenburg, Pennsylvania
Last year I purchased a home with 3 acres of land and it is infested with pokeweeds,Phytolacca americana! I have small children and know this is a poisonous plant. Could you please tell me a way to ...

Tarentum , PA
Indoor lantana tree dropping leaves
I purchased a lantana tree,a lantana hybrid that is only tolerant to 32 degrees. We are zone 5 so I brought it indoors and it only gets the morning sun, and 85%of the leaves have fallen off. The leav...

Pittsburgh , PA
Plants for steep slope in Pittsburgh PA
I have a similar question to one from SC. I live in Pittsburgh, PA. We have a steep slope behind a newly built in pool. What type of plants can I put on the hillside to hold the soil. It gets a ...

Pittsburgh, PA
Deer resistant plants for Pittsburgh PA
What shrubs can I plant on a wet slope that gets partial sun that will help control erosion? They need to be something the deer won't eat! We have lots of deer.

Pittsburgh, PA
A tree to replace a pin oak in PA
My 120 yr old pin oak has root and butt rot, 5 of 13 roots dead by pressure testing. I am in Pittsburgh PA. I want to plant a root rot resistant tree, either evergreen, fir or deciduous. The tree is 9...

Pittsburgh, PA
Deer resistant plants for erosion control on steep hill
I would like control a steep hill behind my house that is red clay, northern exposure with little sun. What plants would you recommend that deer will not eat?

Pittsburgh, PA
Low-growing lawn substitute for Pennsylvania
Hello Mr. Smarty Plants Please help. We are moving to an old farm house in Western Pennsylvania with several acres of lawn. Our plan is to return much of the land to wildlife friendly meadows and woo...

Pittsburgh, PA
Bugbane Leaf Blotch
My bugbanes (Cimicifuga/Actaea) seem to suffer from black blotches on the leaves in the summer. This happens even when they have adequate moisture. I also see it on the ones growing wild. Is this a fu...

Pittsburgh, PA
Deer-resistant groundcover under pine trees
what kind of ground covering can be planted under pine trees (acid soil) that the deer will not eat and will not attract bees?

Pittsburgh, PA
First spring wildflower to bloom in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
In Pittsburgh PA what spring wildflower is consistently among the first to bloom?

Pittsburgh, PA
Propagating trees in Pennsylvania
I have been wanting to plant trees at our family camp for quite a few years now to help provide food for the wildlife during in preparation for the cold winters. As a college student, however, both f...

Pittsburgh, PA
Retention of soil on bank in Pittsburgh, PA
I have a steep bank in front of our house in Pittsburgh. We no longer want to mow this bank and wish to plant something that will spread and hold the soil. What do you recommend?

Pittsburgh, PA
Planting turf grass in PA
Is it too late to plant new grass in mid October in Pittsburg? Should I wait until Spring at this point?