Clayton, NC
Safe branch length of oaks in Clayton NC
I have 2 very large oak trees in my yard and I am concerned about the length of the branches over the house and driveway. Most seem larger than 4" in diameter. What is a safe length for these branc...

clayton, NC
Need a good plant for Clayton, NC.
What would be a good plant for Clayton,NC for this time of year. I would like for it to come back every year so I don't have to replant. I have several full sun areas that I need to cover in the fron...

Garner, NC
Transplant shock in pecan tree in Garner NC
I transplanted a pecan tree about 3 weeks ago & been watering it 3 times a day. The leaves are turning brown & crumbly before I water it. After I water it, the leaves are brown but I can scratch the t...

Knightdale, NC
Changing color of non-native crape myrtles
How do you change the color of a bloom on a crape myrtle tree?

Knightdale, NC
Need a shrub to conceal a privacy fence in Knightdale, NC.
Could you recommend a medium-sized shrub/bush (max height of 6-7 feet) to plant along a privacy fence (purpose is to conceal the fence from the street view per HOA)? I live in Zone 8.

cha, NC
Lantana induced rash
What should I use for a rash caused by a Lantana scratch on my arm

RALEIGH , NC
Host plant for butterflies in North Carolina
What is the best host plant for butterflies in North Carolina?

Raleigh, NC
Evergreen shrubs for full sun in North Carolina
We need suggestions for native NC evergreen shrubs that will grow well in full sun for a school garden. Most of what I've found likes part shade. We need something that will not be over 10 feet or ca...

Raleigh, NC
Comments on previous answer on non-native invasives from Raleigh NC
https://www.wildflower.org/expert/show.php?id=7827 This answer is incorrect. Please have someone review it to remove the two invasive species you are encouraging people to plant by calling them nati...

Raleigh, NC
Information about Citrus mitis
I was given a Citrus Mitis plant. It has beautiful white flowers and delicious looking tiny oranges.everyone in my office is asking if they're edible?

Raleigh, NC
Growing Texas bluebonnets in North Carolina
I live in North Carolina and love the Texas Bluebonnets. Can I create my own mix of soil to be able to grow them here? Soil is basically red clay and icky.

Raleigh, NC
Digestive distress from eating Lonicera sempervirens
A friend of mine ate Lonicera sempervirens and it caused a burning sensation in his stomach. What may have caused this sensation?

Raleigh, NC
Non-native Ruellia brittonia in Raleigh NC
I have discovered Mexican Petunias this year. I LOVE THEM! Beautiful plant. However, they are so tall and after a rain are leaning badly. Should I tie them back? Will they get stronger as they ma...

Raleigh, NC
Identification of Cryptomeria japonica for homeowners association
Good morning. We are wondering if Cryptomeria japonica trees can fit under the term "pine like". We used the term pine like when asking for our home owners associations approval and we put in a Cr...

Raleigh, NC
Need deer resistant plants for a shady north facing garden in Raliegh, NC.
I am in need of Deer Resistant Native Shade plants for a North Facing Garden. It is 3 feet wide by 20 feet long. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you, Eaten Alive

Raleigh, NC
Problems with non-native crape myrtle from Raleigh NC
I have two crepe myrtles that were planted last year, did well all summer long. We had some freezing weather and this spring their buds are brown with little white flakes(very sparingly) and no leaves...

Angier, NC
Zinc tolerant plants for sunny area
I have a very high zinc soil in an all day sun area. Any suggestions as to what kind of flower can I grow successfully? Zone 8 Thank you

Fuquay-Varina, NC
Non-native Chamaecyparis pisiflora turning brown in Fuqua-Varina NC
I have a "Soft Serve False Cypress" Chamaecyparis pisifera'Dow Whiting PPAF, that has only been in the ground for 6-7 months. I just noticed that the branches and leaves are starting to die, turni...

Cary, NC
Determination of native plants of North Carolina
I am compiling lists of native plants to use in NC, and found that Dirr (Manual of Woody Landscape Plants) lists introduction dates (xxxx) for MANY of the trees you list as natives, e.g., Acer rubrum ...

Cary, NC
Erosion control for a North Carolina creek side
Hello Mr. Smarty Plants! I noticed a question on your website recommending NC native grasses and plants to help prevent erosion on a sloping backyard, including the use of an erosion blanket. The pl...

Cary, NC
Plants for a bare clay slope in North Carolina
Hi - I live near Raleigh North Carolina (border of the coastal plain and Piedmont). I have about 1/2 acre that was excavated for a geothermal heating/cooling system and now I need to stabilize it a...